“All the food is good”

Cuisines: Swiss
Dining options: Breakfast, Buffet, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Buffet, Reservations
Reviewed 12 August 2011

This is Swiss food at it's best. I have eaten almost everything on the menu and it is all great. Sometimes I stop in just for the hearty vegetable soup. It takes about an hour for be to get there. If you are driving in from Mill Creek be very careful because during the week the road is full of coal trucks. Also the road can be a little rough. Take your time and drive slowly. The hills may also test your brakes. I have never eaten in a place like this anywhere.

2  Thank JerryJerow

Reviewed 12 August 2011

We went on a Sunday and enjoyed the buffet which is the only option on Sundays. The menu was the same as so well described in the 08/16/2009 review by Jerry-retired although I don't think he mentioned the saurbraten which was included when we visited. The buffet is set out in pots and pans on an old kitchen table. It felt alot like a visit to Grandma's kitchen - if Grandma was Swiss-German and old fashioned. The food was all delicious and the staff was attentive.

Getting there can be a little tricky. Like many others, we made the mistake of using our GPS. Bad idea - a very long trip on one lane dirt roads. We actually decided not to go there the first time we tried. The second time, we took a much better route. We suggest getting directions from someone in Elkins or another nearby town. The restaurant has a brochure that gives great directions that you might find in a hotel brochure rack in the area. You can also call the restaurant and get directions. The journey to get there may sound intimidating but it is worth it.

We enjoyed walking around a few old buildings and then took shelter in a gazebo during a rain shower before our dinner. There's not alot of action in this small town, especially on a Sunday, but our time of sitting in the gazebo and watching the rain is a nice memory of Helvetia.

3  Thank GPM-Ohio
Reviewed 13 July 2011

Went on Sunday and ended up with the Buffet. It was SO GOOD! Everyone went back for 2nds or 3rds. It'll take forever to get there and you'll get lost at least once but its worth it. Its a intresting place, very friendly and homey. Go with some time to check out the other stuff in the town everything was closed while we were there but it looks cute.

3  Thank Corinne21629
Reviewed 3 October 2010

My wife and I first discovered Helvetia (hel-vay-sha) and The Hutte (hoo tay) Restaurant while on a group motorcycle ride with friends in 2002. Since then, we have found ourselves in that general area several times and had tried to find it again with no luck. Our GPS wouldn't locate it and the WV road map I had did not show it. So, this weekend, we made it a quest to find it again, and find it we did.

The roads into Helvetia, WV are narrow twisty mountain roads. But since we were on a motorcycle, that was an added treat. Helvetia is at least 20 miles from any other major town. Don't head into that area with only a quarter tank of gas!! You may not make it back out.

The Hutte Restaurant is the main business still alive in this quiet mountain town formed in 1869 by hearty Swiss settlers. It is operated by decendants of those settlers. The menu does not have many items, but everything we tried, was well prepared and very good. They claim it is authentic Swiss/German cuisine, but I would have no way of knowing if it is or not. I do know it was good eats! I had the Morgan Henalie and my wife the original sausage. Neither of us had anything we did not like. The salad dressing was especially good. I enjoyed the homemade bread. The kraut was sweeter than most I have tried before, but good. Even if you feel full, you MUST try the peach cobbler. Oh my was that good.

The restaurant is a large old house with two or three tables in different rooms. Heated by a old pot belly stove. Each room is full of antiques and artifacts from the towns history, You feel as if you are a welcomed guest in someones home for dinner. It is as far away from the chain restaurant experience as you can possibly get. That is a huge part of the appeal.

If you find yourself in the general vicinity of Elkins, WV or travelling on I-79 and have a few hours to kill, I STRONGLY suggest you consider a visit to Helvetia, WV and The Hutte Restaurant. If you are a motorcyclist, I suggest you build a trip around this stop.

There is a 3 bedroom BB in the town called The Bee Keepers Inn. It has no TV, no AC and the breakfast part of the BB is at The Hutte. Our next trip will include a stay over at this quiet little town. Don't come looking for lots of activity. This is one of those places you just sit back and listen to the water in the stream and gaze at the stars. Oh, and leave the credit card. Cash only.

1  Thank gmace
Reviewed 16 August 2009

You will not be able to find Helvetia with a GPS and forget about your cell phone it will not work. The one and only place to eat is the Hutte. The food is amazing and that says it all. The best time to go is on Sunday for the buffet which is called Bernerplatte.
It is a good idea to make reservations because this place is a true destination for people all over the mountains. It is nothing to meet people who drive and hour and a half just to enjoy a meal there and head back home. There are also many people who are seeking a little adventure of the back roads of WV.
The buffet includes a tender sauerbraten, a sausage patty that is lean and lightly spicy, bratwurst that is German-Swiss not Johnsonville USA braut. It is the real deal not fatty not dry but just right. If you want Johnsonville just go to Walmart and pick up a pack. The parslied potatoes are just tender and not over cooked.
The buttered carrots have a couple of extra spices that add a little extra flavor. The green beans have a good amount of ham in the pot. Sauerkraut is what I would call standard Swiss type. The onion pie is a type of kesche (spelling). Curried pineapple was a nice add to the menu. They also offer apple butter, homemade bread, pickles and beets which are all good. The homemade Helvetia cheese is mild and creamy with no after taste like store baught swiss. My wife likes the peach cobbler which I can not eat being a diabetic and alergic to peaches. The meal cost $21 and is worth every cent. I ate until I could not eat any more. The only thing I would give an average grade would be the onion pie.
Do not rush because the road can get up and bite you bad.

5  Thank Jerry-retired