“Dirty filthy disgusting rooms, Rude management.”
Review of American Inn

American Inn
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Hurricane
Reviewed 4 July 2010

The ownership and management of this motel is in a perfect remote location to take advantage of the weary traveler. There are very few choices to stay along this route to begin with. Upon check-in the staff spoke very little English and where rude. The lobby should have been an indicator when you approach the front desk and there is bulletproof glass dividing the counter. This part of WV is not crime ridden and I am convinced that the glass is in place to prevent and intimidate angry guests from demanding and getting a refund after seeing the condition of the rooms.

The rooms are distgusting! Mattresses collapsing and worn out. Beds half made upon check-in. Carpets worn and in need of cleaning, not just vacuuming. Bathrooms dirty with visible mold. It was only after being very direct and menacing where we able to get a refund thankfeeully due to paying cash. Of course throughout the debate/ discussion through the little hole in the glass the front desk clerk broke out into a tyraid in some foreign language to a co-worker about the only thing I understood was "rude American". My advice to to anyone is RUN!!! DRIVE FURTHER DOWN THE ROAD OR SLEEP IN YOUR CAR, IT WILL BE BETTER.

1  Thank damadsigntist
Navnit S, Front Office Manager at American Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2012

Dear Guest Im am so Sorry to read about your Unpleasant stay with us. I just wanted to inform you that since your stay New Management & Staff has taken over. We have also Remodeled & made new Rennovations to upgrade our rooms. If you get a chance, we hope you will try us again. Im sure your stay will be more Enjoyable than before.

New Management & Staff

Reviewed 11 April 2010

I stayed here with my wife while travelling through. It was a pleasant experience overall. We arrived earlier than planned and were given access to our room before the check-in time. When we saw the reviews from our phone, we were skeptical about the place, but the experience was very positive. The room was clean and well laid out. We needed extra pillows and the staff promptly delivered these to our room.

If you're seeking a hassle-free and friendly staff, I recommend American Inn.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
Navnit S, Front Office Manager at American Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2012

We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us & we look forward to serving you in the future.
Many Thanks

Reviewed 4 December 2009

I wish I could give this a minus 10! I have been all over the US and Canada and this is the worst place I have ever stayed. I am not kidding in the least. Where to even begin.... the buildings are a mess, run down, bug infested, the parking lots are a pot hole mess, the rooms are diry (my shower didn't work so they gave us a key to another room to use the shower and that shower had no curtain and looked like someone had been staying in there recently), no one speaks english and they double charged us for the room, when we got back we called and tried to explain but they did not speak english so finally disputed it on my credit card. My family is from Hurricane WV and the little town has come a long way but this place needs torn down now, it's dirty, unsafe, unfriendly and I could go on and on. DO NOT STAY HERE! If I would have known how bad it was I would have gotten back on the highway and slept in my car at the rest stop a mile or so away.

• Stayed: July 2008
1  Thank Medawara

Dear Guest I Apologize for your unenjoyable stay with us,unfortunately at that time the Motel was under different Management. It is with Great Pleasure that I want to Inform you that since then the Motel has undergone tremendous Remodeling, Rennovations & New Management & Staff. So I hope that you will give us another chance if you're ever in the area again.

Sincerely Yours

Reviewed 7 April 2009

I am a female that was traveling alone with my son this past weekend. We were looking for a place to stay while we were on the road so we decided to give this place a try, figuring that it couldn’t be that bad for the price. The lady at the front desk was extremely rude and her English was impossible to understand but we managed to get checked in (please note they assumed I was traveling alone and didn’t realize my son was with me..this detail will become important to the rest of this story). Around 9 p.m. at night, my son was laying on one of the twin beds as I was taking a shower (the room had no hot water). I was just getting out of the shower when three men barged into the room, WITHOUT KNOCKING. They used their hotel card/key to enter my room. Yes, I said THREE MEN came in without knocking, having used their own hotel card/key to unlock my room door. Upon entering, they seemed shocked that my son was there and started mumbling in broken English something about being the maintenance men and they were seeing if I needed anything. They immediately left the room without any further explanation once they saw my teenage son with. Calls to the front desk went unanswered. After laying there afraid to close my eyes and get some sleep, we attempted to check out early the next morning. After repeated attempts to find a front desk receptionist by ringing the bell, we left the key on the counter along with a letter detailing the events of the night. Once we arrived home, I told my husband what had taken place and he called the manager and attempted to speak with him. The manager did not want to hear my story or hold a conversation with my husband and eventually hung up on us. At this point we are going to contact the state police and at least file a report and let them be aware of what happened. In conclusion, please be careful of this establishment if you are a female traveling alone.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled solo
7  Thank WVTRAVELER2009

Dear Guest Im so Sorry to hear of you & your sons Aweful Experience when you stayed here with us. Unfortunately the Motel was under different Management at that time. It is with Great Pleasure I wish to share with you that New Management & Staff have taken over the Business. I hope if you are ever in the area again that you will give us another chance. I Guarantee that the unfortunate events that took place that night would Never happen again.

Reviewed 21 December 2008

I am a traveling IBEW electrician and stay in motels across the country.I dont expect much from weekly rental motels but I expect to pay what is quoted to me.I picked up a job at John Amos power house and had a hard time finding a room and finally found a room at Budget Inn/American Inn(same place,same owner,just devided by parking lot)in Hurricane W. Virginia,about 9 miles from power plant.Most places were charging $210.00 a week but this guy saw us coming and charged $280.00 a week for a single + tax of course,which is his right.After staying for a couple weeks I went in the office and asked how much for a single weekly rate and was told $245.00 +tax which I accepted.After checking I found they charged me $280.00 againso when I complained they reduced my next weeks rate accordingly on my receipt.Now I am home and checked my statement and they charged me $280.00 + tax again.If overcharging behind your back isn't relevant to tourists then I don't know what is. PS I do't think they own a vacume.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6  Thank ibewtraveler

Dear Guest all I can say is Im Terribly Sorry that this happened to you. I dont know anything about the previous Owners, but I can tell you there is New Management & Staff and if you ever are in the area again we do offer a Special Discounted Rate for Construction or other type of Workers who need a room for a week or longer. Again please accept my deepest Apology.

Sincerely Yours

Reviewed 2 October 2008

We stayed there for one night because we were tire of driving , when we got up we saw the mistake we had made, Disgusting bathroom terrible breakfast , mold all over in bath , old exhausted furniture. Holes in blankets.Place needs to be renovated.

Stayed: August 2008
4  Thank sinva6
Navnit S, Front Office Manager at American Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2012

Dear Guest Im Sorry for your unpleasant stay. I did want to Inform you that since your stay New Management & Staff has taken over. We have also undergone New Construction & Rennovations as well as Remodeled. We hope you will give Our Business another chance if your ever in the area again. Our Sincerest Apologies again.

Reviewed 1 August 2008

Traveling thru I attempted to rent a room in the hotel. A single female traveling alone coming from a family emergency. The clerk who was on the lobby computer with his girlfriend sitting on his lap, put me in a room with a naked guy that already occupied the room. Yes you heard me NAKED GUY! I checked out the room as I always do. I came upon the restroom and there he was in all his glory. I grabbed all things I brought in and ran back out to my car! When I went back up to the front desk, the clerk laughed at me and said. "Who's in your room? I said "I think you already know the answer to that!" He said there were no other rooms. I didn't want another so demanded a refund immediately! As I was leaving the clerk said "I guess your to high classed to stay here!" I ask you folks WHO SAYS THAT?? I contacted Super 8's Main customer service number. The owner of this establishment wrote me a letter. The letter said and I quote. I'm sorry if YOU took this personally. I'm sorry how else is one supposed to take this? Finding a naked man in your room? Geeeeee let me think??? I would NEVER suggest this hotel to anyone! Imagine if this was your mother, sister, wife, daughter? I was horrified!

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank MeAmorBella

Dear Guest that is the Most Unimaginable thing I could ever imagine as well, its Absurd & Im Terribly Sorry that you had to experience such a thing as that. I cant Express to you how Deeply Sorry I am for what you had to experience, Unfortunately we were not in Management at that time. Fortunately the Motel has undergone New Management & Staff, so if you are ever in our area again I hope that you will give us another chance to serve you.