My husband and I traveled to Chief Logan Lodge during the first weekend of November 2013 for the purpose of hiking at Chief Logan State Park. We were mostly pleased with our experience, with just a few exceptions. We had booked an Executive King room and it was a very nice room with a large bathroom. We had a nice patio that looked out onto the firepit and children's play area, with mountains in the distance. The linens were high quality and the room was quite clean and fresh looking. It was also equipped with a large flatscreen television, a nice sitting area, an electric fireplace, and a mini-fridge and microwave. There was also plenty of drawer space, which made it nice to put away all of our things. The pool is small but adequate and the spa was very nice and helped us work out the kinks after an eight-mile hike. We didn't use the fitness room, but it looked to be well-equipped.
Although the lodge has been opened a number of years, some things were a bit strange, such as no towel racks in the bathroom. There were a few minor maintenance issues that we reported upon checkout, such as the door lock being loose. Another situation that was a little odd is that the lodge property does not connect with the state park property, although pamphlets at the hotel described them as both being managed by the West Virginia State Park system. It is necessary to go back out to Route 119 and travel about nine miles to get into the actual park. This was not a problem, but is definitely different than what we've experienced in the Ohio State Park system.
There was a large recreation center adjacent to the lodge property which we did not enter, but according to literature found in the room, lodge guests are able to use certain amenities at the recreation center.
The only true negative was the breakfast situation. The room rate included a "continental breakfast" and we were given tickets for the breakfast upon check-in. There was very little selection and by 8:30 a.m.,, a number of items had run out and were not replaced, such as milk. I had prepared a bowl of cereal as it was one of the few edible items, and when I went to dispense the milk, there was none, so I had to throw the whole bowl away. Another guest asked the attendant about the milk and was told that there was no more milk. As an adult, I could find other items to eat, but this situation made it difficult for guests with children who did not want to eat lumpy, unappetizing gravy over biscuits, which was the main selection. We would have preferred to be able to order healthier, tastier options off a breakfast menu and pay separately for the meal, but that was not available.
We did eat in the restaurant on several other occasions for lunch and dinner and we found the food to be of average quality and the serving staff to be attentive. There's not a lot of other restaurant options that are close by, so we made do with the lodge restaurant selections.
All in all, it was a very enjoyable weekend and we may return at some point in the future.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- In close proximity to Chief Logan State Park, Chief Logan Lodge and Conference Center is located between Logan and Chapmanville, West Virginia. The mountain lodge is open year-round and offers upscale rooms, an indoor guest pool and hot tub, fitness center, conference center, full service restaurant, business center, gift shop and on-site free parking. The grand lobby features a fireplace and space for families to gather. An expansive outdoor patio area and small gazebo are also special places on lodge grounds to relax and enjoy the Mountain State scenery. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Priceline and Booking.com so you can book your Chief Logan Lodge & Conference Center reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Chief Logan Lodge, Hotel And Conference Center
- Chief Logan Lodge, Hotel Logan
- Chief Logan Hotel