“A Welcome Getaway from DC”

Guesthouse Lost River
Ranked #1 of 3 Lost River B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 May 2012

My boyfriend and I chose to spend our 5-year anniversary at The Guesthouse after buying a deal on LivingSocial so, the price was right. We were warmly greeted with a bottle of wine and a cheese platter and given a tour of the place.

I loved the many public spaces to curl up with a book or just relax and talk. There are lots of outdoor porches and patios with great views as well. I only wish the guest rooms were as nice as the main lodge. Our room had a little bit of a funky smell and was just generally not a space that makes you feel good to be in - odd artwork, dark painted wood paneling, etc... Unfortunately, on a trip like ours - we kind of did want to spend a lot of time in our room, but found it easy to find other spaces to enjoy each other's company.

We had two rocking chairs and a little table right outside our door which was lovely in the evenings. There's a shared kitchenette where you can keep beverages, so we were glad we brought some beer and wine coolers to enjoy on our porch (although you can't drink them by the pool or the main lodge as they have a bar and are licensed to sell their own alcohol in those spaces).

Our deal included a $25 dining credit at the restaurant each night so we took advantage of that (not that there are many other options nearby) and the food was delicious. The warm cornbread they bring out is to die for and was so good I wanted to order more for dessert. I highly recommend the mushroom ravioli. The service, however, was a joke. Out waiter the first night knew absolutely nothing about any of the menu items or the beers (all bottles by the way, none on draft). Our waitress the second night was grumpy and unfriendly. I don't think she smiled once and our food took twice as long as everyone else in the dining room with no explanation.

As other reviewers have noted, the real culinary highlight is the communal breakfasts. My boyfriend and I both agreed that the bacon on Saturday morning was the best bacon we ever had and the homemade apple butter was a total treat. We were disappointed when there was no bacon Sunday morning, but the pancakes and sausage were yummy, too! Breakfast is brought out right at 9am, so I would recommend getting there as close to that time as possible.

A note about sleep quality - the weekend we went there, they were doing repairs on the pool. We were notified in advance via e-mail and were assured that the construction would not start until after 9:00am. However, noise so loud OSHA would have probably required earplugs started before 8:00am and made sleeping past that point impossible. Not sure why the owners would agree to that kind of construction on a Saturday morning when their lodge was full to capacity rather than a weekday, but I was mostly just disappointed that it began earlier than we had been told.

The location was our favorite part - it's a short drive from DC and it felt wonderful to be in the middle of nowhere with fresh air, starry night skies, and best of all - no traffic.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
GuesthouseLostRiver, Owner at Guesthouse Lost River, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2012

Thank you so much for your feedback! For the rooms where you stayed we do receive positive feedback but I can understand your feedback about it feeling dark. It's a very rustic green paint and some of the rooms remind me of cabins in the Adirondacks. It was hard for me to adjust to a smaller, cozy room as I spent a lot of time on business travel at hotels like the W which are incredible with the size of the space, white walls, modern decor and lighting. Next time you visit--- please message us in advance at info@guesthouselostriver.com and make note of this and I will be sure to put you in another room which I think you'll appreciate. :)

I apologize that your service wasn't up to par! We sit down with our servers and staff to review feedback. While we receive a lot of kudos, we also recognize we have some work to do. Service is an evolving business.

And finally, as I want to address all of your points. We agree about the pool and we apologize. We scolded the foreman for the early start time. Being a remote area we also have our challenges including scheduling repairs. 95% are completed without guests around. However, the pool company came down from Pennsylvania and the weekend was there only time available. We were thankful the noise lasted only a couple of hours. The pool has been open for several weeks now and is gorgeous! E-mail me (Michael) at info@guesthouselostriver.com before your next visit. We will be happy to make it up to you.

Cheers!

There are newer reviews for Guesthouse Lost River

Reviewed 14 May 2012

Husband and I had our first getaway in a long time and luckily chose the Guesthouse. Gary and Michael are SO sweet and clearly LOVE their place and what they're doing. Dinner's a little pricy but that's normal for these sort of places (entrees start at 18) and it was decent. The real delight are the group breakfasts (complimentary!) on Sat and Sun mornings... Very Common-Room Inn feeling, getting to rub elbows with fellow guests, get tips and feedback about their previous day excursions... if you like hiking or similar outdoors stuff this is the home camp for you. The mountains here are gorgeous and the hiking is varied.. a little something for beginners and more ambitious climbs for the seasoned... The weight room is awesome though we noticed a couple machines out of order there was still plenty to do. Beds are soft, clean (yes i check for bedbugs everywhere.. not a trace in our room!) and the maid service was solid. I will definitely consider going back again, no question. It was a real treat, the whole experience.

Room Tip: Consider whether you want an awesome sunrise, or an awesome sunset. our room (#2 had a great shot o...
1  Thank Erin P

Thank you for your feedback Erin! :) We strive to provide high quality service and cleanliness is huge for us! I guess that's what you get when you have one owner and head of housekeeping who make sure the guest rooms, cabins and main Lodge of the Guesthouse are always kept tidy! I wouldn't say we have OCD but others have self diagnosed us with it. At least it benefits the guests. ;-) We look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed 10 May 2012

Took my wife for a weekend getaway to Guesthouse Lost River.

Michael & Gary were very hospitable, right from the check in, we received a tour of the Guesthouse, it is much larger, than your standard B & B. Outside has multible large decks, with beautiful views, and a pool that will open around Memorial Day.

Our Room was a Suite, which had a large King Bed, very comfortable, with a nice sitting area, and a very specious shower. No TV, but Wi-Fi is needed.

Breakfest both days was out of this world!! They bring it out all at once at 9am sharp, we enjoying getting to know the other guests. Saturday, was scrambled eggs, juice, tea, cofee, hash browns, homemade biscuits, and the best, my perfect Bacon ever!! Sunday, Homemade pancakes, sausage, OMG!!! Plenty to eat, and delicous.

We also had Dinner both nights, dinner was fantastic at the Guesthouse.

The bar is also very nice, I should mention, that the servers, cooks, bartenders all made you feel welcome, and glad to be there.

Stay at the Guesthouse, you will no regret the hometown feel , to this hidden jewel.

Lots to do in the area, hiking, shopping, etc, we came from 45 min north of Baltimore, well worth the 3 1/2 hr ride, for a quiet getaway.
Thanks Guesthouse!!
Fred & Cindi

1  Thank bigfred1963

Fred you both were awesome! I don't have much more to say except we look forward to having you back soon! Thank you for the kind words and we are glad we were able to provide a great getaway!

Reviewed 2 May 2012

I was taken to the Guesthouse as a Birthday present, and it was the best present. If you need some peace and quiet from the bustling city life, Lost River and the Guesthouse is the place to go. It's not that far of a drive from DC, and the drive is beautiful. We were warmly greeted when we arrived, and given a tour of the place. The menu in the restaurant looks wonderful and I couldn't wait to have dinner. There are many places in the main building to sit by a fireplace, play pool, or enjoy some quiet time. Even though the place was full that weekend, I think you could have sat in any of the common areas and still felt like you had the place to yourself. The food in the restaurant both nights was delicious, and the filet melted in my mouth. Breakfast is served in the mornings with the ringing of a bell, and the food again was delicious, especially the homemade biscuits. The owners made sure to chat with all of their guests, and make you feel right at home. The area is quiet and just plain relaxing. If you are looking for a weekend get away, then by all means book a room at the Guesthouse, you will not be disappointed.

2  Thank Brandon M
GuesthouseLostRiver, Owner at Guesthouse Lost River, responded to this reviewResponded 4 May 2012

Brandon- Thank you so much for your wonderful review of the Guesthouse! It was a pleasure having you out to celebrate your birthday weekend! We look forward to having you back as a guest very soon! Cheers! Michael

Reviewed 1 May 2012

A delightful surpise hidden quietly in the hills. 5 star dinning and true solitude. Don't look for televisions or internet here. This well appointed facility leaves technology in the city and guest are forced to relax with nature. Staff greeted us upon arrival making us feel at home from the moment we stepped out of our car. Rosebud cottage is pet friendly and allowed us to bring our faithful pet Jessebelle. Only concern was lack of keys for rooms. You lock up when your in but no way to lock up when your gone. Great location for the outdoorsman with national parks offering hiking, biking, water activities and horsebackriding. Quaint towns nearby offer a whimsical look at days gone by. Truely a space for rest and relaxation. Highly reccomend.. !!!!

1  Thank Jean L

Jean- Thank you so much for your wonderful review! :) We loved having you all visit and Jessebelle was so very well behaved and pleasant. :) We actually do have WiFi throughout the property-- sorry if we didn't let you know that. :) But yes no cell phone signals and many days I know I am thankful for that! As for the door locks, thank you for the suggestion! We have never had any issues, however, it is something we will take into consideration especially as we begin to update some of the guest rooms. We look forward to seeing you soon! Cheers! Michael

Reviewed 1 May 2012

A real West Virginia gem! Quite and lovely. Unlike B&B's and most small inns, They have so many public areas, you will never feel crowded...if you want to mingle you can but you can just as easily sit apart and read your favorite book or have a private chat.
Breakfast is communal style...great opportunity to meet other guests and pick their brains for day trips in the area.
Dining menu is limited but well prepared with some seasonal offerings when available. Small but well-stocked bar.
The art work and furnishings are very well done.
They owners, Michael and Gary are just marvelous hosts.

Room Tip: They do have a pet friendly room near the spa. Otherwise, the top-floor suite at the end has a priv...
1  Thank Timay11

Thank you so much for your wonderful review! :) We look forward to having you back again soon at the Guesthouse! The pool is scheduled to open Memorial Day weekend! Cheers! Michael

Reviewed 26 April 2012

Don't come to the Guesthouse looking for a lively nightlife. However if your goal is to simply get away from everything for a weekend then by all means book now. We recently visited the Guesthouse on Easter weekend. We arrived late on a Friday and were promptly greeted and made to feel right at home as the manager checked us in and accompanied us to the bar so we could get something to eat before the kitchen closed. We were traveling with our dog which was not a problem as we had booked one of the Dog friendly rooms at the Guesthouse. The next day we woke refreshed and stumbled on down to the Main house for breakfast. At first I did not think I was going to like the family style seating but it was actually quite pleasant talking to the other guest finding out little bits of information and tips on what to do during the day for Hikes. The breakfast itself was great changes daily and I'm told the pancake recipe keeps being handed down from chef to chef. For the area The Guesthouse could get away with serving up a mediocre meal, but the dinner menu includes brined pork, beef filets, and there is always something special. The pool was not open because it was still early but they were putting a new deck down and I could see how this will be quite the place to unwind on a lazy summer day. It's very close to DC but I'm from NYC, so it’s a little bit more of a commitment for me to go there, but I know I will be back.

Room Tip: There are two rooms which allow pets. We stayed in the Tower and Loved it.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for the great review! :) As a born and raised NY'er it was great to have some other NY'ers come visit us! :) Taylor was such a great dog and he seemed to get as much relaxation as both of you up hanging out on the grassy hill! We look forward to seeing you guys again soon! Cheers! Michael

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lost River
#3 of 5 in Strasburg
Lost River Bed & Breakfast
Lost River Bed & Breakfast
#3 of 3 in Lost River

Been to Guesthouse Lost River? Share your experiences!