“A Hidden Treasure of Rustic Luxury” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Guesthouse Lost River

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lost River
Guesthouse Lost River
Ranked #1 of 3 Lost River B&B and Inns
“A Hidden Treasure of Rustic Luxury”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2009

I experienced Lost River with my husband, his family, and a large group of my brother-in-law's friends to celebrate his 40th birthday. I haven't stopped thinking about it since! The beauty of the location in the fall overlooking the colorful foliage, the clean air and quiet setting from the dew covered morning until the coolness of the evening watching the sunset brought a calm to my body and a comfort to my heart. Whether you sat quietly rocking in a chair wrapped in a comforter with a cup of tea, on the deck with a glass of wine, or looking through a window from the comfort of your bed, your day started and ended with the peacefulness that is difficult to find anywhere in the Baltimore or Washington area.
The accomodations were comfortable and casual, yet refined. The old fashioned family style breakfast was a relaxing start to the day and the elegant dinner with exquisite cuisine and presentation was an unexpected pleasure especially given the large group we had. The staff was very efficient and attentive and made us feel like we were their only guests (of course this wasn't the case). It was hard to believe that we could have such a dining experience in this rustic location.
In all honesty I had no idea what to expect when plans were made to come to this location which my brother-in-law spoke of so highly as a gay resort he enjoyed coming to yearly with his partner and friends. I can honestly say that I have always had fun with this mixed group of friends and family, but this location, the owners, and staff made it even more enjoyable and relaxing than I could have dreamed.
My husband and I plan to return because we found ourselves equally as welcome and comfortable as a straight couple. Kudos to the Lost River! Julie

• Stayed October 2007
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
South Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2009

Bedroom was in a separate building some way from the main house. it was decent, if small, and had small decks with views of the forest and the valley. Bathroom was small and a bit depressing. Common areas of main building were attractive, with great pool table area, bar, TV room, reading rooms, etc. Nice pool area which was spoiled by the fact that the pool was very cold - 74 degrees! - and as a result no one used it. Same thing with outdoor "hot"tub. Pleasant friendly restaurant in the evening (weekends only) with quite good food. Breakfast (fairly basic) is communal at 9 am sharp, so beware if you are not feeling sociable in the morning. Suggested scenic drives in the area were nothing special - nothing like Shenandoah or other spots closer to DC. It was relaxing and pleasant and the staff and owners were very friendly but 2 nights were more than enough.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank MikeSC1980
dcburbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2009

My partner and I have been coming to the guest house for several years, and always have a terrific time. It is an easy trip from DC or Baltimore, and the new Corridor H highway which was recently completed in the area makes the journey even quicker.

The guest house used to be pretty much all gay until a Washingtonian article enticed more straight couples to discover this treasure for themselves. I like to think of this place as "straight-friendly" - since for me it's always been a great place to meet other gays and lesbians from around the mid-atlantic area (and oh yeah .. straight people are welcome too :) )

The restaurant serves high quality cuisine in a comfortable ambience. The bar area is a warm and cozy place to relax and make new friends. Keep in mind that this place is pretty isolated and there is not a big selection of places to eat in the immediate area. A great breakfast is included, but it's a good idea to bring your own snacks and beverages to enjoy during lunch and early afternoon.

The guest house is perfect for couples, but would also be appealing for single folks. During summer weekends when the place is busier, there is often a nice variety of people to meet. A couple of years ago, we met 2 guys during Happy Hour at the bar - they invited us to dine with them at the Restaurant, and we've been great friends ever since that time.

There is no cell phone reception in the guest house, but wi-fi access is included. Limited connectivity is not a negative in this case, since this is definitely a place you would come to break away from every day life and take in the beautiful scenery and crisp air. There is a fitness room, 2 hot tubs, a nice pool, lots of different places to relax and read a book, have a glass of wine and daydream the afternoon away.

The rooms in the main guest house are comfortable, clean and have nice beds, but they are basic (don't expect the Mandarin Oriental).

The best times to visit are during summer and fall. Our first stay was in mid-november, and it was wonderful time to see the wildlife and go stargazing.

I would recommend staying at least 3 nights to get the full effect and truly benefit from what this wondeful place has to offer!

Note: you can now find the guest house on Google Maps:

• Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank dcburbia
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2008

My partner and I stayed at the Guest House at Lost River November 14-16, 2008. We had heard positive things about the guest house from friends and acquaintances in the Washington, DC area and, this being our anniversary, we decided to make a trip there for a romantic weekend. I found their website and made our arrangements via email and the telephone. Tammy, who handled our reservation, was very pleasant and immediately gave us a good vibe about the place. We arrived early in the evening of the 14th and were greeted by Tammy. She handed us over to Kevin to show us around the house and to our room. He introduced us to Bob and David, the proprietors, and then proceeded to show us the excellent facilities and accommodations, which include a weight and exercise room; a comfortable TV room; with a good selection of movies and satellite cable; an outdoor pool and jacuzzi (closed for the winter); indoor jacuzzi and steamroom; pool table; large and comfortable public seating areas; convenience area with refrigerator, coffeemaker, and wetbar; restaurant; and full-service bar. He then showed us to our room, which was very pleasantly appointed and comfortable. We had reservations in the restaurant at 7:00 PM, so we stopped at the bar for a drink where we had a pleasant conversation with Kevin and some of the other guests in front of the fireplace. We then went to the dining room for an excellent and romantic dinner. A full breakfast is included with the accommodations and it is served promptly at 9:00 AM. As we got ready in the morning, we suddenly heard a bell ringing outside, alerting us to the fact that it was indeed 9:00 AM and breakfast time. Our freshly prepared breakfast was served by the hosts, Bob and David, and included coffee, tea, juice, fruit cup, biscuits, bacon, and scrambled eggs. Everything was served family style with the other guests, at large tables. It was great getting to know some of the other people staying at the guest house. We stayed at the guest house for two nights and loved it. Everyone who works there made us feel welcome and treated us very well. We’ll definitely be back.

• Liked — Friendliness of the staff, coziness of the facilities
  • Disliked — Nothing.
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mawllms1
Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2008

My husband and I stumbled upon this peaceful and enchanting B&B through the recommendation of a friend. Everyone is wonderfully friendly and we have made many new friends there. While it is run by a gay couple, everyone is definitely made to feel comfortable and welcomed. This is such a rare find in this area, it is one of the nicest places we have ever happened upon. The food menu changes about every 2 weeks and they always offer a vegetarian menu which is a plus. Service is impeccable, rooms are very nice and the whole place is spotless. Terrific bar with fireplace. The whole place looks like it was plucked from the Colorado Rockies and placed in Lost River. Close to the metro area but miles from everyday life. This place just feels like coming home!

• Liked — So clean and comfortable, quiet.
  • Disliked — I think I would need at least a months stay to figure that one out! The place is Terrific!
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Buffalo, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2007

The Guest House at Lost River, WV is your escape from today's hustle and bustle life styles. This is a gay-owned resort with 16 rooms with king and queen sized beds. Several guest houses are also available on-site, as is a first class dining experience. While being gay-friendly there were also lesbian couples, as well as straight couples. I felt at ease from the minute I walked on the establishment. This is a mature atmosphere that is peaceful and classy. No nudity or late night partying, just a relaxing, quiet getaway for you and your loved one. No kids or pets are allowed and the rooms are spotless. The owners are more than accomodating and go out of their way to make everyone staying there comfortable and welcomed. What a TERRIFIC experience. My life partner and I can't wait to go back.

• Liked — The restaurant and the quiet country setting
  • Disliked — Shower and bathroom could be a little larger
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank tonyer62
Washington D.C.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2006

Excellent cottage-style B&B

Rooms were clean and comfortable but not luxurious. Cottage / country style. They provided good quality toiletries.

Facilities were great. Indoor & Outdoor jaccuzzis, Outdoor pool, sauna/steam room, massage area with prof massues @ $70 /hr, game room, well-equipped exercise room, several excellent pool tables, wide variety of different sitting areas, enclosed and open.

Good quality Wi-Fi available everywhere.
because it is such a secluded area, cellphones do not work here (A pro, if you ask me)

Great restaurant for dinner. Bar with food for lunch was excellent.
Breakfast is served promptly at 9AM in a medium sized room where you can get to meet your fellow patrons.

For the not-so-open-minded, the large number of gay patrons may be discomforting.

My wife and I had a great time. We spent most of the time at the complex and my wife loved her massage. A short trip to the local state park (Lost River Park) was a lot of fun and they have great activities there also. Very inexpensive horseback riding.

We definately go back.

Lost River Bed & Breakfast
Lost River Bed & Breakfast
#3 of 3 in Lost River
Lost Forest Bed & Breakfast

Been to Guesthouse Lost River? Share your experiences!