“Disappointed - But Would Give It Another Shot”
Review of Cranberry Glades

Ranked #3 of 23 things to do in Marlinton
More attraction details
Owner description: Part of the Monongahela National Forest where a large number of northern plants, animals and birds dwell.
Shawnee
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Disappointed - But Would Give It Another Shot”
Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

Wife & I went there with our 2, 12, & 15 year old. I had made the trip with my parents approximately 25 years ago & saw my first wild bear & loved it!! Maybe that set the bar too high for me personally, but I was kind of disappointed as were the wife & kids. Boardwalk was not well maintained, and it just seemed over ran; not the way I remembered it at all. Hope someday I can get the wife & kids to go back and give it another shot!

1 Thank seth13_1984

Charleston, WV
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Very peaceful”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We stopped by the Glades on our way home from a short weekend trip to the mountains of Webster county and took the long way home. We were the only visitors at the time of our visit. The walkway through the glades was very peaceful and serene. The scenery was very interesting, with the flora and habitat. There are informational signs throughout the walk that describe the landscape. If you have a chance, try to stop and walk through!

Visited November 2013
1 Thank DL1060
Virginia
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“Beautiful, remote oasis...watch out for bears”
Reviewed 27 April 2014

I visited here with my 2 younger sons last summer. We loved this place and were having a blissful visit walking around the boardwalk....when suddenly a large BEAR stepped out onto the boardwalk about 20 feet ahead of us!! Since we were on a boardwalk, we did not want to walk backward and fall off, so we turned around and just walked away slowly...never to see that bear again!!! I have to say that I have never been so scared in my life, but we now have a great story about the Cranberry Glades!

Also, when we arrived, we were the only people out there, as the location is remote. As we were retreating from the bear, we saw 2 scruffy-looking men approaching us--normally I would been nervous, but I was never happier to see 2 scruffy looking men in my life! We told them about the bear and they were excited, as they came hoping to see a bear. (Our hopes/expectations were a bit different, but to each his own!) This place is gorgeous, like a huge bowl in the mountains, with bright green mosses and cranberry bushes. Just be sure to make some noise as you arrive and be alert for bears.

Visited August 2013
3 Thank tccampa
Charlottesville
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“A delightful surprise oasis in the Appalachian mountains”
Reviewed 30 August 2013

We'd been going to the Marlinton area for years before we discoverd this amazing park. Definitely check out the visitor center, which has a collection of live rattlers that will enchant you. The Glade itself has a boardwalk meandering through most of it, so it's an easy walk. I was bound and determined to spot a carnivorous pitcher plant in the wild, and actually did on the second go around! If you're in the area, don't miss it!

Visited April 2013
1 Thank LBSBSS
Boones Mill, Virginia
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Cranberry Glades”
Reviewed 18 August 2013

What a very nice surprise! The walkway is very well maintained, and the scenery is quite pretty. We enjoyed the serenity. Allow about an hour to take the hike. It is well worth the time and effort. There are rustic restrooms.

Visited August 2013