“Unsanitary Conditions” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Martinsburg
Columbia, Maryland
“Unsanitary Conditions”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2011

Our family of 4 came upon this place after spending a long day at Harper's Ferry. I checked in at one am and took a shower (bathroom was clean). When I got done my husband showed me the sheets, stained with drops of dried blood and the mattress/boxspring containing large dark red stains as well. He also noted mold in the fridge and a musty smell to the room overall. I immediately gathered my stuff/kids and packed the car. I checked out a little after 2 and the clerk said she didn't know how to refund my money and to contact the manager tomorrow. We then spent the next 2 hours driving all the way home to MD. I contacted the hotel 3 times since and cannot get the manager to contact me and they aren't going to refund the money saying room was "used" since I took a shower. I have contacted choice hotels who are going to investigate the unsanitary conditions there. I hope they fix these problems as they are unacceptable. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone ever.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Olney, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2011

Just stayed here for the first time and have nothing to complain about other than the blanket on the bed had some stains. Hotel is clean, room is clean, bed was nicely firm, pool was great and hottub was even better!!! Big TV screen. Staff was 100% friendly and helpful. Typical free continental breakfast. They were working on the restaurant/bar/entertainment area and from the looks of it, it will not open any time soon. I have to completely disagree with all these people who are complaining about this hotel.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2011

I stayed at this hotel for the weekend and it was very disgusting. The bed, the carpet and even the towels had dog and/or cat hairs all over them. I booked this hotel because of what was advertised on the website. Wrong! There was no coffee maker in the room and the door to the room did not close properly, making a loud noise when forced to close the door. (So much for quiet time)! There were so many flies in the room that I was forced to go out to buy bug spray to make my stay tolerable. I went to make my bed the next day and a very DEAD mosquito was under the linen. All of these things were unacceptable to me and I would advise the hotel to get an exterminator. It was a waste of my money and time.
Pissed off!

Room Tip: Bring along a can of bug spray!
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Martinsburg hotels

Virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2011

This is the worst hotel I've ever been to in my life. The management is rude, nasty, and incompetent especially you DENISE. The rooms are just as bad, a non smoking room with burn holes all over the comforter. Thats not the worst part, I was 30 min late for check out, I get a knock at the door its Denise telling me that if my husband and I dont leave now the police were gonna be called. For a late checkout??? Then i get home and check my account online. to find that they over charged me twice, when i called Denise, she tells me ooops my mistake well fix that. Ugggh.

Room Tip: Find another hotel!
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JordanKVirginia
GARNER
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2010

I booked rooms here only because every other hotel in Martinsburg was full. The photos on the web site looked good, but we all know how that goes. To my pleasant surprise, not only were the photos accurate, the hotel more than met our expectations. When the heating unit on our first room had an issue we were immediately moved to another room. The beds were comfortable, the TVs were great (flat panels in all our rooms but one). the rooms were cleaned daily and the sheets changed EVERY DAY. And the rooms are big.

The pool was amazing and huge, as well as very clean. We swam at least once a day and sometimes we could fit in a morning and evening swim. I stayed at a Hilton last weekend and the pool was 1/10th the size and nasty, and the rooms were 3 times the price of the Rodeway Inn.

The staff was also great. We had everything we asked for, and they were friendly and fun.

There are a couple of negatives - the hotel needs new towels the whole way through, especially the pool towels. The jacuzzi needs to be upgraded and repaired. And the Wi-fi works way better on the ground floor than on the top floor.

The restaurant was closed but there are dozens of restaurants nearby. This hotel needs very little work to be an A+. As it is, I give it an A for value, friendliness and that wonderful pool!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank GloABB
Rochester, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2010

My room was clean. Some of the other family members rooms wasn't so they had to be cleaned before they entered.They have a big problem with towels some days there wasn't any clean towels in the hotel at all.The service is terrible.This hotel is only ok if u are staying for one day.I plan to never return.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
massachusetts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2010

We stayed here two nights traveling to and from N.C. The first attendant was pleasant, but clearly could have used a hand checking in people and helping other customers with rollaway beds. The beds were very uncomfortable, but as the reviews have stated, the rooms and bathrooms were clean. The windows were dingy as were the curtains. The air conditioner took all night to finally cool the room. The pool was clean, but the hours of use kept changing. On the way back from NC, we were looking forward to a swim, but was told the pool closed at 9:30. The previous stay we had been told 10pm. The next morning the sign read 9PM. We had asked for a rollaway bed for the return trip and informed the attendant that we would be arriving late. When we arrived the pool was closed, the rollaway bed was not in our room and the attendant asked us to change to a smoking room that already had a rollaway bed. When we declined, she said she would bring one up, all the time complaing about what a bad day she was having and how much her back hurt. After waiting for quite some time, and by now it was almost 10pm, I went back down to see about the bed and to see if she needed a hand and she was outside smoking. When we stayed the first night we found the toaster broken and the prepackaged jelly hard. I was nervous about eating there after that. The $50/night price was a great value and the bathrooms were very clean. We could not get on line while staying at this motel, but we didn't ask for any assistance either.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Martinsburg
Motel 6 Martinsburg
#5 of 14 in Martinsburg
Hampton Inn Martinsburg
Hampton Inn Martinsburg
#1 of 14 in Martinsburg

Been to Carefree Inn? Share your experiences!