“Dont even think about going here....”
Review of Carefree Inn

Carefree Inn
Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Martinsburg
Martinsburg, West Virginia
“Dont even think about going here....”
Reviewed 21 February 2012

I stopped by to visit friends and the plady at the counter wouldnt let me enter until I told her where I was headed. Then she kept calling the room (4 times) asking if i was staying the night. Said if i didnt leave she was double charging the room. My friend ended up paying 120 dollars for a stinky dirty out of date hotel room. The people are horrible the rooms are horrible. STAY AWAY!!!!!

Room Tip: Dont stay here, stay at any of the other local hotels....
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank J L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 22 January 2012

Hi! From Wednesday, January 18th through January 21st, 2012, I had the pleasure of staying in this hotel. From going into the front door and meeting 'Debbie', until saying goodbye to 'Debbie' (again at the front desk), I was impressed with her cordiality and helpfulness. She is so pleasant and gave me great information on whatever my needs were, My room was clean and comfortable. The re-design of the bathroom had a nice touch of granite (?) counter. The towels and washcloths were plentiful and thirsty and clean, as well as complete with amenities (towels, shampoo, kleenex, hairdryer, coffee maker, soaps, small refrigerator). It was great to have an hdtv as well !!!! I guess I'm trying to say that I am most pleased with how pleasant Debbie was, first, then the daily cleaning staff as well! Second was of course, the cleanliness.
During my stay I also met the manager, whose name I did not get (I apologize) but who was also VERY helpful and pleasant. I had a nice, fresh continental breakfast and we struck up an easy conversation about the internet. It was my first experience with my laptop away from home and he gave me detailed information on 'how to'.
This hotel is right next to a housing development where my family lives. My daughter and husband were expecting their third child and I wanted my privacy, coming and going to the hospital, not wanting to disturb access to the house and have stayed at this hotel under a different name (I liked it then, too).
In December I also visited one of your Rodeway Inn's in Greensburg, Pa., Rte 30, Pittsburgh Street. IT WAS A HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE AND I swore I'd never stay in another Rodeway again. (If you want me to write a review on THAT one, I'll be happy to! It was a bad experience and I wouldn't mind telling you a few things that should be corrected). So, I was taking a chance walking in the front door at the Martinsburg, West Virginia one. I was scared to death and on purpose did NOT make reservations via internet in case I decided not to stay.
Instead, walking up to the counter, meeting Debbie, was the decisive moment. She's the kind of personnel you want working for you! Next time I WILL make reservations via the internet.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Bonnie B
Columbia, Maryland
Reviewed 12 October 2011

Our family of 4 came upon this place after spending a long day at Harper's Ferry. I checked in at one am and took a shower (bathroom was clean). When I got done my husband showed me the sheets, stained with drops of dried blood and the mattress/boxspring containing large dark red stains as well. He also noted mold in the fridge and a musty smell to the room overall. I immediately gathered my stuff/kids and packed the car. I checked out a little after 2 and the clerk said she didn't know how to refund my money and to contact the manager tomorrow. We then spent the next 2 hours driving all the way home to MD. I contacted the hotel 3 times since and cannot get the manager to contact me and they aren't going to refund the money saying room was "used" since I took a shower. I have contacted choice hotels who are going to investigate the unsanitary conditions there. I hope they fix these problems as they are unacceptable. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone ever.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Martinsburg hotels

Olney, Maryland
Reviewed 2 October 2011

Just stayed here for the first time and have nothing to complain about other than the blanket on the bed had some stains. Hotel is clean, room is clean, bed was nicely firm, pool was great and hottub was even better!!! Big TV screen. Staff was 100% friendly and helpful. Typical free continental breakfast. They were working on the restaurant/bar/entertainment area and from the looks of it, it will not open any time soon. I have to completely disagree with all these people who are complaining about this hotel.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 8 August 2011

I stayed at this hotel for the weekend and it was very disgusting. The bed, the carpet and even the towels had dog and/or cat hairs all over them. I booked this hotel because of what was advertised on the website. Wrong! There was no coffee maker in the room and the door to the room did not close properly, making a loud noise when forced to close the door. (So much for quiet time)! There were so many flies in the room that I was forced to go out to buy bug spray to make my stay tolerable. I went to make my bed the next day and a very DEAD mosquito was under the linen. All of these things were unacceptable to me and I would advise the hotel to get an exterminator. It was a waste of my money and time.
Pissed off!

Room Tip: Bring along a can of bug spray!
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
Virginia
Reviewed 15 July 2011

This is the worst hotel I've ever been to in my life. The management is rude, nasty, and incompetent especially you DENISE. The rooms are just as bad, a non smoking room with burn holes all over the comforter. Thats not the worst part, I was 30 min late for check out, I get a knock at the door its Denise telling me that if my husband and I dont leave now the police were gonna be called. For a late checkout??? Then i get home and check my account online. to find that they over charged me twice, when i called Denise, she tells me ooops my mistake well fix that. Ugggh.

Room Tip: Find another hotel!
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JordanKVirginia
GARNER
Reviewed 25 October 2010

I booked rooms here only because every other hotel in Martinsburg was full. The photos on the web site looked good, but we all know how that goes. To my pleasant surprise, not only were the photos accurate, the hotel more than met our expectations. When the heating unit on our first room had an issue we were immediately moved to another room. The beds were comfortable, the TVs were great (flat panels in all our rooms but one). the rooms were cleaned daily and the sheets changed EVERY DAY. And the rooms are big.

The pool was amazing and huge, as well as very clean. We swam at least once a day and sometimes we could fit in a morning and evening swim. I stayed at a Hilton last weekend and the pool was 1/10th the size and nasty, and the rooms were 3 times the price of the Rodeway Inn.

The staff was also great. We had everything we asked for, and they were friendly and fun.

There are a couple of negatives - the hotel needs new towels the whole way through, especially the pool towels. The jacuzzi needs to be upgraded and repaired. And the Wi-fi works way better on the ground floor than on the top floor.

The restaurant was closed but there are dozens of restaurants nearby. This hotel needs very little work to be an A+. As it is, I give it an A for value, friendliness and that wonderful pool!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank GloABB
Also consider these accommodations in or near Martinsburg
Motel 6 Martinsburg
#5 of 14 in Martinsburg
Hampton Inn Martinsburg
Hampton Inn Martinsburg
#1 of 14 in Martinsburg

Been to Carefree Inn? Share your experiences!