“Cheap does not mean DIRTY!”
Review of Carefree Inn

Carefree Inn
Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in Martinsburg
Reviewed 18 April 2013

When I was quoted the price for the room at this motel, I knew that I was not staying anywhere fancy. That was okay. I was traveling with my sons basketball team and we where only going to be there for one night. Cheap to me meant, I would not have some of the standards I would get for higher priced accommodations at more reputable establishments. Cheap should never mean "just plain dirty." I checked in an out in less than 30 minutes. Everything was old and stained and smelled musty. I pulled the covers back on the bed and the linens were dirty. The bed comforters had cigarette holes and even blood stains. This was just nasty. Thank god we never brought our bags into the room, I'm sure there were critters there that would have tried to catch a ride with us to get out of the filth! The one good thing about the place - the lady that checked me in. She was very friendly and very understanding when I wanted to checkout!
I'm not sure who owns or is running this place but cleaniness is not on their radar!

Room Tip: Never settle for dirty.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 8 March 2013

Me and my faince had a very nice time we went to just get away from our home town and the staff was very friendly the food was good loved the room service. The room was a little dirty with ashes under and behind the bed but no big deal really the hot tub and pool could have been cleaner but it still was nice to be able to have those options which we got in the hot tub and enjoyed ourself. We had a nice time and it is what you pay for. so just depends what kind of person you are to make the best of things or not i mean it's cheap hotel they had alot to me for how much i paid

Room Tip: rooms on the far left def hear the train but it really aint to bad. Kings size room was great
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 January 2013

Room was good staff excellent continental breakfast ok.
The smiling face priceless nothing like starting your day with a smile.
The front desk was great and Gina was very helpful. Also the staff member Jenn Was so nice
And always had a smile. The smile was a great pick me up in the morning
It was nice to have people that genuinely care.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank GML1969
Reviewed 22 December 2012

We were traveling south and decided to call it a night so pulled off 81 here. I usually don't have a problem with "old" but I definitely don't care for "dirty"! This hotel is definitely old and worn out but unfortunately it is also dirty! Our room key didn't work and they told us they have problems with the doors and the key card connections - it took the front desk clerk 3 try's with the master key! The toilet seat hadn't been wiped, the coffee maker was dust covered, there were cobwebs hanging from the ceilings, and the pillowcases had not been changed!! We called the front desk and they brought us clean pillowcases and they were very apologetic. The continental breakfast was equally sad and dirty - the coffee pot and juice container looked like they had never been washed, they only had sugary cereals, a baggie with old looking pancakes and orange juice that was a very strange color orange - needless to say we didn't eat here! Next time we will keep driving and try to do a little research beforehand!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Cindy586
Reviewed 21 October 2012

Can not really add much new info to what has already been posted about amenities. However, this is the second time we've stayed here. I felt that we more than got our money's worth here. The facility and room was clean and well maintained. Yest, the mattresses were firm, but of course, some people prefer a firm mattress. The breakfast was basic, but remember, it's advertised as a continental breakfast-not a breakfast buffet. The location was safe, and I didn't hear any trains at 6 am. But, it's true. If you are accustomed to the fancy life, where you stay at a hotel that nickel and dimes you for everything, you won't like it here. The free WiFi was fast, and consistent. The free breakfast was filling. Didn't use the pool this time, but last time we were here I did, and it was too cool for me. But, I prefer bath water temp! Staff was also consistently friendly. Stay here, and use your savings to spend on gasoline. Oh, almost forgot. They have flat screen tv's.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 September 2012 via mobile

This was a very affordable & decent hotel. The rooms have doors to the outside & to the hallway. Rooms are large. Two queen beds & table with two chairs. There is a fridge & microwave in room. Pool is cold for an indoor pool, but nice. The hot tub is an older model, but nice. The pool is open 10-10pm. The pool area is nice, but needs more light. The staff were friendly. The breakfast is minor. I would stay again.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed 20 September 2012

This is a wonderful hotel to stay at if you are on buisness, or are traveling for pleasure. They have a very nice indoor pool and jacuzi. The restaurant and bar on the property serve good food and drinks. The staff at the hotel are very friendly. They always smiled at me. The only downside was the doors to some of the rooms needed to be painted because of blackmarks, and their directory needs to be updated. I certainly wood continue to come back to this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo