“Like being at Grandmas but much larger !”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Matewan
Historic Matewan House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 2 Matewan B&B and Inns
“Like being at Grandmas but much larger !”
Reviewed 30 March 2013

I cannot say enough about Sharon the hostess!! Soooo nice and takes great care of you. The b&b is large, roomy and quote comfortable. The atmosphere is just incredibly comfortable and stimulates conversation with everyone that comes through and everyone in town wants to eat breakfast and Sharon feeds them! If you love atv trails come stay here. And don't mind the train, you will be tired enough to sleep through it. ;)

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Sandie T

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Columbiana, Alabama
Reviewed 31 December 2012

Being from a family of coal miners on both my Mother and Father's side of the along with watching the John Sayles 1987 movie "Matewan" I decided this year to make it one of my destinations on my annual fall motorcycle ride to Appalachian mountains. I could not have picked a better place to stay and Sharon made me feel right at home even giving me a key to the front door to go and come as I pleased. The breakfast the next morning was outstanding. As I wanted to walk around town and take some pictures she was also flexible about the check out time. The rooms were very clean and everything you needed was provided. This place is not the Hilton but if you want to step back in time and see what made this area famous with its coal mining and Hatfields and McCoys history this is the place you want stay. Be sure to visit the old train station museum and eat at the Mexican restaurant less than a block away.

Lester, Columbiana, Alabama

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank Lester C
Batavia, NY
Reviewed 23 November 2012 via mobile

We happended to be at the Matewan House on Thanksgiving Day and Sharon and her family treated the 7 of us ATV riding travelers like their own family and served up an amazing Thanksgiving dinner. Homemade bread and about 10 other scrumptuous southern style dishes to choose from. Of course we tried them all! The Matewan House is a must stay if you are ever in southern WV/Kentucky. It is rife with history there and Sharon is a wonderful innkeeper. Would highly recommend to the 4wheelin crowd. The Harfield and McCoy trailhead is across the road and the little town has diners and small shops. It is deep in coal country and almost a step back in time. Truly charming. You can ride your 4 wheelers into other small towns along the trail. Very friendly to riders.

Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank dconblz
clayton, delaware
Reviewed 2 October 2012

We stayed 3 nights in the Bunkhouse and what a great decision. Sharon is absolutely the best host. The rooms were clean and cleaned daily. The breakfast was set for a king. Sharon went above and beyond to make sure that every guest was comfortable and had everything that they needed. I forgot my grill so Sharon provided a grill and went to the store to get charcoal for us. You could not get that kind of service anywhere else. I will definately stay here again and I would highly recommend it to a friend. Thank you Sharon for all you did I look forward to our next visit.

PS: Sharon also wanted to wash all of our clothes after mudding all day. My wife wouldn't even offer that.

Thanks again
Joe from Delaware

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank joseph b
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 21 September 2012

Sharon's warm greeting let us two tired travelers know that we found a treasure. We enjoyed our stay in the Honeymoon Suite. Breakfast was more than enough. We were welcome to help ourselves to beverages, snacks, and fruit. Due to the incessant rain, we were unable to really explore the town of Matewan. Because of our wonderful stay at the Matewan House B&B, we will most definitely return.

Room Tip: Trains run often right past the House. The rooms on the front side of the House may be just a littl...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
St. Louis
Reviewed 7 August 2012 via mobile

This was our first experience at a bed and breakfast. I would recommend it to anyone. By far, I think it is the best place to stay in the area. If you are looking for the Hampton Inn, you should probably stay in Pikeville.

The accommodations were adequate and reasonable. The breakfast was fabulous. The baked goodies and friendly faces were an added bonus. We were there to visit family but it would be great for trail riders. The wifi was good. There is lots of history around and actual bullets from the 1920 union war still lodged in a building less than block away.

Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Murphwanda
Blacksburg, Virginia
Reviewed 16 July 2012

One night (7/14-7/15/2012)

I am a Hilton/Marriott/Westin type and therefore have certain standards and expectations. This little getaway in the heart of West Virginia was by far one of the most enjoyable and memorable stays I have ever known.

We were welcomed as if we were family from far far away and treated as if we had just walked in to Grandma's house. Sharon (the owner) attends to your every detail and is motherly and comforting. While I was sitting on the couch in the main room reading through work documents, she surprised my husband and I with a king sized bowl of freshly made homemade apple cobbler and ice cream.

The sense of community in this B&B among owners, neighbors, and guests is beyond comparison. Sitting on the front porch looking into Kentucky just across the river, listening to the low rumbling sounds of the money making coal trains just behind the building and the stories of the struggles and successes of "mountain livin'", and the smells of fresh baked biscuits and country ham was a feast for the senses.

If you are looking to comfortably immerse yourself in the heart of true mountain culture, this is your destination. After your stay, you will return to your busy, chaotic life and rush hour traffic - longing for the slower pace of days gone by and promise that you will again return someday.

Room Tip: The bridal suite has a clawfoot tub IN the room. Beautiful room. We stayed in the Coal Room which h...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MtnDiva07
Also consider these accommodations in or near Matewan
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Logan
Chief Logan Lodge & Conference Center
Candlewood Suites Logan
Hampton Inn Pikeville
Hampton Inn Pikeville
#1 of 5 in Pikeville

Been to Historic Matewan House Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!