The Falkland Arms
Agoda.com
All reviewsthe pubflagstone floorsthatched roofold english publow ceilingsbeautiful villagegreat beerfish and chipsfolk nightopen firereal aleduckrooms are smallfor sunday lunchpicture postcard villagefantastic locationold building
Reviewed 28 October 2013

We've just returned from a 2 night stay at the Falkland Arms. Absolutely stunning old English pub in a gorgeous and peaceful village, it really is like stepping back in time. We Stayed in room 4 on the first night, small, but tastefully furnished. Unfortunately the bathroom had definitely not been cleaned properly, quite noisy as it's directly over the bar. They appear to have gone to a lot of trouble re-furbishing the bedrooms but the bathrooms don't match up, very dated with Mira electric showers and non-existent water pressure. We moved to room 3 for our 2nd night, very small, too small, but quieter. This time the bathroom clearly hadn't been cleaned since it's previous occupants...!

We ate dinner on the first night, very bland and tasteless. Both breakfasts were bland and disappointing, we had to wait 35 minutes to get any food on the 2nd day...they display a certificate for 'award winning breakfasts' dated September 2012, but I doubt this still applies as the current management have only been there since June 2013!

If they could sort the cleaning out and do something about the food, I think this would be a fabulous place to stay, as it stands, I wouldn't return.

Room Tip: Definitely not 3 or 4
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank magnoliasunday
Reviewed 18 October 2013

used to stay here a few years ago,and always regarded it as a special place,so what a disappointment my stay was.the place could do with a good clean,doubt the carpet in my room had been hoovered for ages.and what on earth were wadsworths doing when they decided on the décor of the rooms.food was average, this place needs agood hard look at itself.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Linda186316
Reviewed 13 October 2013

If you are looking to experience Ye olde English pub, this is the place. It is located in a 16th century building, so expect tiny spiral stairs and compact rooms with beams nestled under the thatch. While the decor of the guest bedrooms is modern and attractive, the downstairs is traditional and oh so quaint. The selection of locally brewed cask ale was great and the menu was impressive with restaurant quality meals. The pub is not in a town but in a tiny settlement of thatched houses surrounded by beautiful countryside. Would I go back? Certainly!

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 October 2013

I was really looking forward to my stay at the Falkland Arms but left feeling somewhat disappointed.

We stayed in a superior double room which was lovely as it was large with low ceilings, beams etc. Just what we were expecting. The room overlooked the front of the pub so we heard a bit of noise from some of the punters but it wasn't the kind of noise you'd get in a urban pub on a Saturday night. Despite the room looking gorgeous the bed was really uncomfortable as the mattress was paper thin.

The food in the pub was mediocre at best. The fish and chips was a disappointment as the portions were very small, there was no meat on the fish and the batter was soggy. We were still hungry at the end of the meal. We ate in the bar area and it was far too overcrowded to be comfortable. It's a small room crammed to the rafters with tables! My partner went to pay for the bill and found that 2 extra drinks that we hadn't ordered had been added to the bill. Luckily this was refunded.

The worst part was some of the other punters braying at the top of their voice about how wealthy they are and how their family owns a castle. Obnoxious and unnecessary behaviour.

I've given the Falkland Arms 3/5 because the room was so lovely and Great Tew is incredibly picturesque.

We heard another guest say to somebody that 'the Falkland Arms is a lovely pub but the food isn't good' which is a fair assessment in my opinion.

• Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank Esmel
Reviewed 6 October 2013

Visited on late September, very quaint, traditional English inn. Staff were helpful. I ordered Confit of Duck and partner had Hake Fillet off the Specials menu. Food was well presented and beautifully cooked and tasted very nice. However, very perturbed to find, for the price, ONE roast potato with my Duck and just red cabbage as the vegetable......nothing else at all. The Hake came with crushed boiled potatoes with a poached egg. Absolutely nothing else at all. Needless to say, after a 10 mile walk we left Falkland Arms still feeling rather hungry and not wanting to part with £6 for a pudding. The cost of the meal, with one lime and soda and one pint of lime and lemonade came to the grand total of £38. As a hungry hiker, this was extremely disappointing, would not really recommend it and will not return.......

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple