“Overpriced, and rotten staff attitude”
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #22 of 24 Hotels in Morgantown
Toronto, Canada
“Overpriced, and rotten staff attitude”
Reviewed 14 August 2011

It was Memorial Day weekend, and my partner and I were heading home from Miami to Toronto.

We've always been pleased with Econo Lodges, but this was overpriced for what we got.

Room was basic, nothing fancy, and should have been at least $25 cheaper.

We arrived and unpacked around 10:30 p.m. At 11 - we noticed the toilet handle was not working properly. By 11, we spoke to the young woman at the front desk, who offered to switch us to another room, "But the maintenance man will be here within the hour and can fix the toilet." We said ok, as we had already unpacked, and were exhausted.

By midnight, the maintenance man had not arrived. The woman at th desk had no clue when he would be arriving - "maybe the next morning".

Had we been told IMMEDIATELY that the maintenance man was not arriving, we would have switched rooms. I AM LIVID that we were not told the truth from the beginning, and obviously owners/managers do not communicate with their night staff.

I should not have to pay for playing toilet, and for dishonesty.

When I reported the incident, the following day, the manager/owner at the front desk shrugged and said, "sorry." NO OFFER OF COMPENSATION.

I had to report this incident to Choice Hotels, and it took three times speaking to a Choice rep before I was satisfied. I don't think Choice customer service got anywhere with management.

I'm angriest at the staff miscommunication, dishonesty and attitude. a working toilet is a basic necessity.

Room and breakfast are ok if you're just passing through.
It's not worth more than $50 a night. (We paid about $75 with tax).

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank RivitheLawyer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 28 June 2011

My daughter and I stayed here one night while moving her back across the country. The hotel is old and worn out. From what we could tell is occupied mainly by truckers who hang out at the entrances to smoke. There was no hairdryer, iron or ironing board as was advertised. Internet access was spotty at best. We could not wait to leave the next morning.

Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank DianaB77

Travellers are raving about these Morgantown hotels

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 17 June 2011

Stayed at this econo lodge listed above in WV. Check in staff was ignorant. She acted as if we were bothering her by checking in. Room was disgusting, floor was not swept and when I pulled back the bedspread, the pillow was full of hairs! Upon closer inspection, found that many hairs were all over the beds. It was a foul, foul disgusting experience! Do not ever stay at this motel ever! I called the 800 national number for this chain and complained until I received an apology and monetary satisfaction.

Room Tip: Stay away from this motel
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank janwheel64
Kendall Park, NJ
Reviewed 14 June 2011

Every year, we stay at the Econo Lodge for Homecoming. Our Alumni Band friends always know where to find us. The staff at the front desk remembers us and are always very accommodating and friendly. They honor room requests if at all possible, and are quick to resolve any issues such as need for a new light bulb. It isn't the newest motel in the area, but it's clean and run well.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
Mississauga
Reviewed 6 September 2010

arrived at this hotel very late at night with my two young children for a short break only from Toronto. The location is good being close to the highway, the bad news is- the room is dirty, carpet was dirty, bathtub was with dirt stains on all sides, window dirty, aircon was blowing dust and noisy, fridge not cooling much and the freezer was full of hard iced. Breakfast was disgusting- stale muffins and pastries, coffee didn't taste fresh, white sliced bread still in a bag- not even presented in a tray. No cereals or fruit to offer the children.
The breakfast area is in the same side of the reception and too close to the entrance. Room decor obsolete and dusty. The price was okay but it would have been better to offer it for a much lower price!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank havensprings
Jersey
Reviewed 7 August 2010

We were fortunate to get a room anywhere in Morgantown for the night as everything was sold out so we were happy to get this room, however, it is nothing special, just a typical motel, but there was a smoky and musty smell, and some good ol' boys were a bit noisy but by nighttime it was quiet. Probably wouldn't have been our first choice, but it gave us a place to sleep and it was reasonably clean.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
Beckley, West Virginia
Reviewed 26 July 2010

As said before the place smelled like a giant ash tray. I had a discount coupon is the only reason I stayed. They accepted the coupon but didn't honor it upon check out. Avoid at all costs. The staff is not at all helpful. I got out of here after only one night. I stayed some where else for the duration of my visit.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends