“30th Annual Festival of Food and Wine” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Lakeview Golf Resort and Spa

Lakeview Golf Resort and Spa
Ranked #13 of 24 Hotels in Morgantown
Yukon, PA
“30th Annual Festival of Food and Wine”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2014 via mobile

My husband I attended the 30th Annual Festival of Food and Wine for the third year in a row. This was our third year attending this weekend. It is a culinary event that runs from Friday evening till Sunday morning. After checking in, the evening began with a manager's reception held in the Library room. A buffet of finger foods was offered as well as a cash bar. This year's offerings were somewhat scaled back from last year. Following the reception, the first culinary demonstration took place followed by a dessert buffet. On Saturday they offer a breakfast buffet, then cooking demonstrations throughout the morning. This year's theme was Country Cooking, focusing on local food and farm to table offerings. Saturday's lunch buffet was good, with a variety of items they prepared during the demonstrations. The afternoon consisted of more cooking demonstrations as well as a vendor market where local people sold their wares. The afternoon was capped off with an Iron Chef Cook off between two of the participating chefs. It was quite entertaining. The evening included an appetizer reception which offered some tasty items. Lastly, a formal dinner was served in courses and a dessert buffet was offered. The food for the dinner was gourmet and some things I liked and others I did not care for. I understand that it would be difficult to please everyone's tastes at an event such as it. The chefs did a great job of preparing the foods, were very personable and knowledgable. However, the main course consisted of jerk spiced flat iron steak , which was very spicy, country fried quail, sausage, bacon wrapped potato wedges and green beans cooked with ham hocks and tomatoes. The offerings had too many similar spices with nothing to contrast the taste and cleanse the palate. The dessert was a martini cheesecake bar offering cheesecake filling and a variety of toppings. They also had homemade apple crisp. Both were very good. There were drawings for various prizes following the dinner. A weak point at the dinner was the lack of servers and it was difficult to get a drink. I asked for a ginger ale and the bartender who was supposed to going table to table to take orders for drinks told me that the bar wouldn't be opened for 10 minutes so feel free to grab an iced tea from one of the servers. I told him I did not want an iced tea, that I wanted a ginger ale. Then another woman brought me a Sprite. Finally, I told the general manager I wanted a ginger ale and one was brought to me. Also, the bartender finally came to our table after the meal was almost done to take drink orders. On Sunday morning a brunch was offered and it was good. Again, I asked the server for a Coke and was told that they were all out of Coke. I said surely they had a Coke somewhere on site, she said it would have to be gotten at the restaurant, which is up the hall, would I like something else? I told her, no, I would like a Coke, please. So finally I was brought a Coke. I had the same issue with beverage service last year so I did address this with the food and beverage manager as well as the general manager. It appears that several employees called off and they were short staffed. That is really no excuse for poor service. As for the accommodations, they are average. I read where they have been renovating the guest rooms but the room we had was the same as the one we had last year, nothing new or special that I could see. The rooms are basic and clean. Unfortunately, there was a large group of bikers that were staying at the resort for a function also. During the day, they were very courteous and there were no issues that I was aware of. However, at 2:30 am in the morning as they were returning to their rooms a loud argument took place outside our room which got out of control and my husband had to call the front desk for security. They dispersed when security came but started arguing again and kept us up. It was evident that they were highly intoxicated and the language was very vulgar. I did file a complaint with two managers who were apologetic but that should have never happened. The festival is a fun filled culinary event that is a great escape weekend during a cold and snowy weekend in January.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Stefanie A, Director of Sales at Lakeview Golf Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 7 February 2014
Lakeview would like to thank you for attending our 30th Annual Festival of Food and Wine, we love to hear our feedback from our guests so that we are able to make improvements as we go along. We will see you next year!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Morgantown, West Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2014

I recently attended a company event at Lakeview. I just wanted to thank the staff for a wonderful evening. The room was set up perfectly and the food was delicious. I especially enjoyed the filet mignon and chef prepared desserts.

Thanks for a great evening. Looking forward to my next trip to Lakeview!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Stefanie A, Director of Sales at Lakeview Golf Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 24 January 2014
Thank you for taking the time to express your experence that you had while at Lakeview, we take pride in taking care of our guests from start to finish. We are excited to have an opportunity to host your travel & events needs in the future.
Pa. USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2014

I stayed here for one night last week, very nice experience. Very comfie bed and very clean room. Nice complimentary breakfast, the grounds looked beautiful. I would like to go back when it's warm, it was -3 the day I was there! It was about a 15 min. drive to WVU

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
      Cleanliness
Stefanie A, Director of Sales at Lakeview Golf Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 22 January 2014
Thank you for taking the time out to write a responce about your experience. Lakeview would love to see you in the future in warmer weather, take a look at our golf packages online they are a great value, or if you have a large group that would like to getaway please contact one of our golf sales managers and they will create a experience you will never forget!
Springville, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2014

We have stayed at the Lakeview Resort for about 5 years during our travels back and forth from Charlotte to Buffalo (a good 1/2 way stop for us!!) Over the years, it has improved tremendously -- all new carpet throughout -- rooms are upgraded and reasonably priced. The food in the sports bar is quite well done -- they also serve Starbucks coffee in the morning in their restaurant. I think it is a great value and only getting better each year!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 555Christine
Stefanie A, Director of Sales at Lakeview Golf Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 9 January 2014
On behalf of Lakeview we would like to thank you for your loyalty in your travels over the years, we are also glad that you have like our recent improvments made to the resort. We are currently in our 2nd phase of the renovations so you will be able to see more improvment on your next trip. We look forward to seeing you in the future!
Morgantown, West Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2013

I had attended an event at Lakeview in August and it was very well coordinated and I opted to have my son's first birthday party there and my experience was fantastic! The staff was beyond helpful and attentive. We had approximately 80 people and everyone told us how great everything was. Even the food was outstanding!! If you are looking for a place to hold an event this is definitely worth it. I highly recommend!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Stefanie A, Director of Sales at Lakeview Golf Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 20 December 2013
Heather thank you for your kind words and taking the time to share your experience. We are happy to hear that we were able to make your event memorable, and exceeded your expectations. We are excited to host your future events and travel needs.
Fairmont, West Virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2013

When we called to make the reservation we explained we want one of the best suites available and we want quiet, that was very important. We were told we were in a very quiet room, newly remodeled, with jacuzzi tub in the room. They couldn't have been more wrong! Not one minute of quiet, it's actually 11:45 pm and they have the music cranked up. I honestly don't see anything remodeled or if this is, it's bad choices. Definitely nothing fancy in this hotel.jacuzzi is nice, but you don't get HOT water for more then a few minutes.

Could've been a nice place

Room Tip: Ask for more than two towels...bad!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience and recent stay at Lakeview, we are currently going under our second phase of renovation of the property, we would love for you to give Lakeview another chance in your future travel needs as we take pride in our guests experiences.

Travellers are raving about these Morgantown hotels

Stephens City
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2013

A quick football stay--all the other rooms were sold out in MGW. Bought it on priceline for half the adverstised rate. The staff at the desk threw the word "priceline" at our party and two other parties checking in like it was a bad word. Really. If you don't like Priceline, don't accept their reservations.
Check-in was not available at 4:30+ so, we had to go to the game without checking in.Very scary going back to a hotel at midnight to get your room key on a sold out night.
The management rep at check-in was very helpful and worked to resolve our issue and make us happy. Plus +2 for the skills of Ms. M. The regular staff on the desk was not as helpful and obviously (at midnight) some of them were tired of irate customers. The couple ahead of us had two priceline rooms--but the hotel could only find one. And so, the staff berated Priceline and said "there's nothing I can do." I did not have this problem.
The rooms are an older style of construction with interior halls and a/c/heat units on the outside of the room under the window (pass-thru). The unit in our room had problems with the temperature control--ice cold by the window (thermostat on unit) and roasting out in the room away from the window. Older style room ac/heat units often have this problem in my experience. Unit worked well, thermostat was just wildly inaccuate.
Room (refurbished apparently) was moderately worn and reasonably clean. There were some signs of grime, mildew and hard water stains. Mattress seemed average to fair--springy and saggy. All amenities in the room were of the low-end variety. Tv was nice. Linens were nice. My room seemed quiet. Good wifi.

General hotel lobby and common areas were ok; stairwells and other common areas came across as far more industrial/public facility than resort. Grimy carpets and institutional concrete decor beyond the lobby/restaurant. Indoor pool looked very nice as did fitness center.

Sports bar was the highlight of the public areas; lots of tv's and nice design/view. Prices on food were high--the "resort" is a bit isolated and your unlikely to want to drive anywhere after having any beverages. Here's a note: cokes in vending machine were $2.00 16oz. In the bar/pro shop? $2.50. so....if you've got thirsty kids, you better bring some soda's with you. Just one example of the prices. Same price for water too, I think.

Breakfast buffet was WAAAY overpriced and underdone. Buffet pan eggs, fried cubed potatoes and soggy bacon for $13. AVOID AVOID. Staff was very nice.

So, in winter, lacking the ambiance of the lake and lot's of outdoor kid's activities, the hotel is a solid 2.5. Good value under $80. In the summer? It might be quite a bit nicer and worth more. I can see the draw of the place for weddings and meetings; very nice banquet room, nice bar, great views. People are very unlikely to try and drive out of here to go somewhere else...so just stay in and enjoy the party. But, this is no higher than a 3 star IMHO.

Last point: I"m not a fitness nut or golfer. There is a wonder fitness center and golf course just outside the front door. With the gym, indoor pool, sports bar, lake etc.... this might be a very ideal vacation spot for some.

Pros: low cost (on PL), close to WVU, scenic, rustic (in a good way), nice staff. Great activities.

Cons: showing it's age, high use equals some grime and wear, breakfast was low quality and high price. Not an elegant hotel--more of a place to party and have fun.

Overall, a good stay with a few bumps along the way. Glad I didn't pay rack rate.

Room Tip: Do not accept a room which has not been renovated.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Stefanie A, Manager at Lakeview Golf Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 26 November 2013
Thank you for the feedback from your recent stay with us. We are very excited to be embarking on a major renovation that will restore this historic resort to its original charm. We hope you will give us another opportunity to showcase this new product.

Best Regards,