“A nice stay with beautiful view” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Lakeview Golf Resort and Spa

Lakeview Golf Resort and Spa
Ranked #13 of 24 Hotels in Morgantown
Florence, Kentucky
“A nice stay with beautiful view”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

I am not certain why other reviewers rated this hotel poorly. It was established in 1956, so it is not a brand new shiny beach resort. It is a nice, clean hotel nestled in the mountains of WV with beautiful views of the mtns and lake.

• Stayed June 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
Logan, West Virginia, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

My husband attended a conference at this hotel and I was off of work for vacation, so I decided to stay with him. I had read MANY bad reviews of this hotel, so I was a bit concerned. But the conference was on site and it seemed like the closest and easiest option - just stay there instead of another hotel.

Since we were staying an entire week, we requested an optional in-room fridge which was a small daily fee. After requesting this repeatedly (before, during, and many times after check-in) and hearing "it will be there within the hour" we just gave up and decided to forget it on the third day of our stay. When we checked in, other guests were trying to get items they requested (to no avail) and a member of the housekeeping staff was publicly berating a maintenance staff member -- I should've taken that as a sign right there.

The room itself was average. Very small bathrooms and low ceilings, but being an older hotel that was expected. The bathroom was dirty when we checked in, and still dirty after housekeeping. There was no working exhaust in the bathroom, so it constantly smelled of mildew - especially after a shower. The restaurants are high-priced and the food quality is mediocre (at best.) The hotel staff bend over backwards for their golf guests, and if you aren't golfing...good luck finding a parking spot.

Overall, we will not be returning to this hotel. Even if there is another conference -- we will stay somewhere else.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Morgantown hotels

Williamsburg, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

Have recently visited Morgantown, WV and stayed in this hotel. Great golfing location (however I don't golf!). Have stayed here before and will stay again. Wouldn't even think of trying another hotel. The food couldn't be better. The location is ideal close to town and to the Interstate and to the airport. Staff is especially helpful and professional. They aim to please. Liked the room layout too and the bed was very comfortable! I am 68 so that is important!

Room Tip: Many access choices to get to the meeting rooms. If you are on a second floor you might park in the...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Rick G
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

A friend and I recently spent 4 days at Lakeview at the beginning of May. About two weeks before we left from Canada to drive down to Lakeview, I started reading some of the reviews. Frankly, I was concerned. We understood Lakeview was not a five star resort but based on the reviews I was reading, the place sounded like a dump with lousy food. I called them and reached the GM to express my concerns. He assured me that many of the reviews were dated and that facility had received a facelift and was nothing like the reviews were suggesting. I accepted him at his word and two weeks later we drove down. In the back of my mind, I was almost looking for the first opportunity to seek him out and ask for a discount. It never came. The golf courses were in excellent shape considering the late spring. Only golf complaint was the lack of yardage markers on Mountainview GC. Yes, the cart paths on Mountainview were chewed up but plans call for them to be repaved shortly. The room was clean and had everything you could want. I mentioned that we weren't expecting a 5-star resort. It should be said we didn't pay anything close to 5-star rates. The food in the pub was exactly what you would expect in any decent sports bar. And, if that wasn't your thing, you could go to the room next to the pub and enjoy the buffet which included roast beef, etc. Value was tremendous. We did not receive any special treatment from the GM and I was thoroughly impressed when I received a call from him last week following up to see what we thought. We will definitely go back and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this property to fellow Canadians. The six hour drive from Toronto was painless. Gerry Black, Newmarket, ON Canada

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Gerry B
Cincinnati, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

Overall this resort was good, nothing too special. Rooms were pretty clean but could use some help in some spots. The Lakeview Golf Course was nice while the Mountainview Golf Course was just average, yardage markers were missing, fairways were in rough shape and the cart paths were almost non existent. Lakeview's cart paths were slightly better but they were also is really rough shape. If you plan to golf there, I would strongly suggest Lakeview over Mountainview, many of the golfers in our party decided to play Lakeview twice. Our golf package included breakfast and dinner, both were good and offered almost everything you would expect. Employees were nice and helpful so no complaints there. I understand the resort is old and undergoing renovations so most of my issues could be fixed within the next year. I did see quite a few weddings at the resort while we were there and saw a big poser in the lounge that said this resort was picked as a top wedding destination from "The Knot" so it seems like they do an excellent job catering receptions and ceremonies. Based on the views Lakeview had, I could understand why many people choose to get married on the course.

My Father got a message after we got off the course and said it was really good.

Overall the course/ resort was good

Room Tip: Distance from the rooms to the buffet can be a little lengthy, would suggest requesting something cl...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
LVRoomsManager, Manager at Lakeview Golf Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Thank you for choosing Lakeview Golf Resort & Spa for your golf getaway. We are continuing to improve the resort with new cart paths and also the course condition. Please join us again next year so you can see our continued improvements.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014 via mobile

This resort is in the mountains on gorgeous Cheat Lake. I came for a special occasion, but I certainly will be back! Great accommodations, scenery, staff, restaurant, fitness center and so many activities. The staff is very friendly and I know them by name.

Take my word, this is a great place for any event, weekend getaway, family vacation, or business meeting.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to review your most recent stay. We appreciate your feedback and our very glad that you enjoyed your weekend with us.
Ellicott City, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

The Lakeview Golf Resort in Morgantown has been in the process of renovations recently. However, our stay there last weekend, over WVU Commencement weekend, was wonderful! While true that they have not yet completed the renovations entirely, what has already been finished is beautiful! The scenery, breathtaking. The furnishings, more than sufficient, colorful, and rather comfortable are mostly in the dark wood that some may feel is left over from yesteryear. Yet, so many things these days are getting new leases on life, and the fact is that it was all clean, attractive and more than adequate for a hotel room. My family agrees the staff was helpful, polite, knowledgeable, and very personable. The indoor swimming pool was clean, regularly stocked with clean towels, and more than adequate, not to mention the large hot tub! The restaurant was very nice, attractive and inviting, serving delicious food. Again, the staff was attentive, cheerful, and helpful. The Mother's Day Brunch was nothing short of delightful, although due to WV laws, no champagne was available. The room overlooks Cheat Lake--a full wall of glass so as not to interrupt the view at all. The variety of foods available was incredible, and all was maintained properly at the appropriate temperatures, and replenished regularly, or cooked to order!
Honestly, our oldest son turned us on to this property late last year. We spent Thanksgiving there this past year, and enjoyed it so much we booked graduation weekend right away! We only wish we'd known about this treasure 4 years ago. As of now, we will have to create reasons to go back.
While this property is very deserving of 5, or more, stars, I have ranked it as 4 due solely to the incomplete renovation. There is no option of a 4.5 ranking, which is unfortunate. In our case, the remaining work to be done was limited to the bathrooms. These had not been updated with the new fixtures and wallpaper yet. I am not troubled by this as so little time is spent in these areas, but understand some may be put off by this. Truly, my family and I cannot wait to return after completion! It has been quite some time since we have had such a completely enjoyable stay in a hotel/resort. And the management and staff handled this sold out weekend with grace and professionalism. BRAVO!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your recent review of Lakeview Golf Resort & Spa. We are happy to hear that you had such a great time during your stay. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.