“Excellent as always!”

Ranked #12 of 24 Hotels in Morgantown
Grafton, West Virginia
“Excellent as always!”
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Lakeview catered our recent open house event and did a fantastic job. We've used Steve and his staff many times because we know the food will be delicious and the service is second to none! It's comforting to know when planning an event, Lakeview catering has you covered!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
LVRoomsManager, Manager at Lakeview Golf Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 3 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your recent experience. We are pleased to hear your event was such a success.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Wow, was this an experience?! I have trouble believing the 4 star rating is a legitimate score. I’ll start from the beginning. As I pulled into the parking lot there were no spaces available. Even if there had been there is some sadistic directional parking method that leads you in to a parking trap along with the other motorists trying to escape it. Upon checking in I was informed of the additional fees. In fact, they have a form that must be signed to acknowledge these. Next I was asked for a credit card for “incidentals”. That’s not unusual. Except for the amount they were going to charge to the card of a hundred and sixty-two!!! then to be refunded after my departure. One week later, I’m still unclear if this has happened yet. This place is not close to town. It’s about 25 minutes from Morgantown WV. Two things worked against me just leaving. First, the room had been paid in full via Hotels.com and therefore not refundable. Second, I had no guarantee that I could find another room anywhere else as there was a big motorcycle event in town. I decided to live with it. As I walked to my room I took in the 30 year outdated falling apart décor. It is reminiscent of what the hotel in the movie “The Shining “ would look like if it were marginally cleaned but not updated to since the movie’s release 40 years ago. The crumbling cement walkways and stairs, grimy door handles and mismatched 70’s carpet added to the esthetic. After a battle with the card key lock I made into my room. It was dingy with a noisy air-conditioning unit that had been optimistically set at 67 degrees. The bathroom was on the small side with a door to the compartment that held the toilet, sink and the shower. Unless the door was closed it rendered the space unusable. In the bathroom were usual items. One bar of facial soap. A super glue size bottles of shampoo, conditioner and moisturizer. These were to be my only bathing companions during my four day stay. I had to ration them to the last bit. Other additions to the bathroom were left over stand of long hair in the tub, one tissue in the tissue box and a suspicious brown stain on one of the hanging towels. In the main part of the room were two beds a desk, chair, TV, dresser and no outlets. I had to charge my cell phone overnight In the other half of the bathroom compartment. Inconvenient due to the fact that I use it for and alarm besides its other uses. The only usable bed if you planned watch TV was made concave by the people who must of reached the same viewing conclusion. I’m curious to know how many people it takes to do that? Several hundred? A thousand? I get grossed out thinking about it. After settling in I decided to go to the bar and get a sandwich and a beer. I happened to fall in behind two of the hotels employees during my walk. Due to my proximity I couldn’t help but over hear part of their conversation. It had something to do with they disliked it when guests would call the laundry department because they couldn’t reach housekeeping. It made me wonder if it was just the Laundry Dept. that didn’t want to help guests? Or both? The bartender was nice. She let me drink my beer while checking twice to see if I was ready to order. I ordered the Turkey club on white. It came dry and tasteless. At this point I was finding humor in my situation but beginning to compose this review in my head. During the night I listened to my neighbors and was woken up by what I thought at first was a motorcycle doing a burnout in the parking lot. After the first few times of this I realized it was the aforementioned optimistic air conditioner complaining about keeping the room out of the eighty degree range. I was serenaded by it every night for the remainder of my visit. The next day there was a small victory had by my work colleague. He arrived to the front desk where the clerk informed that his reservation had been lost. I know it had been made do to phone conversation had the day it was made on month earlier. He was informed that the room was now $***dollars per night 25% up from the $*** quoted a month earlier but there where rooms available. I would love to tell you how much exactly but they won’t post this if I do. Happily he gave the clerk the coupons for a two night free stay given to him a year earlier by the hotel trying to make up for the lost reservation during the previous year’s visit. During that visit he told there were no rooms available and was made to take a twenty minute cab ride to another hotel. The rate increase was questionable and reflects the a new term I’ve come to understand for prison rape. That term is called “event pricing”. Even though it wasn’t my victory it was still a win for the home team. During a walk through the golf course (to a better restaurant)I noticed its condition was no better than the hotels. The only difference being the need for a 4X4 golf kart needed to negotiate its crumbling paths and trenched fairways. I could go on but you get the idea.

6 Thank Even C

Travellers are raving about these Morgantown hotels

Morgantown, West Virginia
Reviewed 30 July 2014

This is the 6th year we have held our 2-day event at Lakeview and every year the experience gets better and better.

From Management, to support staff, the restaurant/bar and golf course, you could not ask for better people, service and conditions. Everything you need is located within the property. Everyone involved is there to make sure your event and stay are of the utmost importance and it will be followed through with the highest attention to detail.

If you are having a conference, golf tournament, wedding or just spending the night, Lakeview is without a doubt the location you can feel comfort in knowing everything will be taken care of, no questions asked!

We look forward to year 7 and many more to come!

Morgantown, West Virginia
Reviewed 27 July 2014

I had my wedding at Lakeview on May 25, 2014. From the search for my venue until the day we left for our honeymoon, it was a perfect experience. After comparing other local venues, Lakeview was the most helpful and easy to reach for answers to our questions when trying to shop for our wedding location. The Lakeview Wedding Specialists made our decision easy. They guided me through my entire planning process with answers to every question a bride has from menu recommendations to wedding vendor suggestions. It was comforting knowing I could trust them since they specialize in weddings and have so much experience to offer. My Wedding day was absolutely perfect. I had my ceremony there as well. They made arrangements for a room for me and my bridal party to get ready that day. I was able to relax and enjoy my day while taking advantage of the Spa on property to get my hair and makeup done. All while the Wedding Specialists were setting up and decorating my room, greeting my florist, DJ, cake baker, etc and taking care of all of those details so I didn't have to worry about a thing. All of my guests were able to enjoy our wedding day with the ceremony and reception all in one place as well as a room to stay in after a night of celebrating. It was comforting knowing my guests didn't have to stress about anything either. Just show up and all our events were there in the same venue. The Wedding Specialists got my groom and minister to where they needed to be at the right time and then once all the guests were seated they came to get me down the aisle. After our ceremony we got the most amazing photos on the beautiful green golf course! Our reception was amazing. The Lakeview staff provided superb service to us and our guests and our dinner was better than I could have imagined. Our guests are still talking about how great our food was and how delicious our cake was from Lakeview's preferred baker The Cupcakerie. I never realized how important those comments from my guests would be until after the wedding was over. After all the planning for a year, those comments and memories made are what I hold on to. I would recommend Lakeview to all brides out there looking for your perfect and stress-free Wedding venue.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Chesterfield, New Jersey
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Decided to bring the family here for an overnight stay as we were visiting friends in the area. First impression while driving up was that this place was going to be very nice. However, after we checked in and got to our room, I was very disappointed. Our room was very outdated and rundown. The beds were uncomfortable and the toilet was very hard to flush and almost overflowed. We have two kids and we asked for a refrigerator to be in the room and they brought one up but for an extra $10 charge. After spending $200 for a room you would expect that to be complimentary. We ate at the Legends restaurant and the food was fair at best. The waitress got our order wrong and was rushing us to leave it seemed. The indoor pool was rundown. Not enough pool towels and not enough place to sit down by the pool. There is no complimentary breakfast in the morning either. I feel that this place is a huge ripoff and you can get better service and just as nice of a room at your average holiday in. I will not return.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Jon J
Reviewed 24 July 2014

After approx. 10 years of my golf group of 4 - 8 golfers and myself coming to Lakeview, I will never return here again nor will my golf group.
To make a long story short, my girlfriend and I decided in May to go on a golf road trip to South Carolina. As is my custom I was going to make Lakeview my 1st stop on the way down and my last stop on the way home.
I booked my room on-line for July 16th and July 23rd. We arrived on the 16th at 10:30am and checked in. Much to our surprise our room was ready. Our room was on the 3rd floor right next to the Door 6 stairwell. This meant we had to lug our bags, coolers etc. up 3 flights of stairs as the elevator was probably 300 yards away. Not a huge deal even though it meant 3 trips up and down the stairs. We golfed the Lakeview Course (excellent) then had dinner and a few drinks at Legends. Kelly and Zack were great, the food not so much. We then retired for the night.
In the morning we went for breakfast before departing on the 2nd leg of our trip. We paid $12.50 each for the hot breakfast buffet. It was poor cafeteria food at best but filled the gap.
As luck would have it we were forced to cut our stay in South Carolina short by 1 day which meant we had to leave a day early. We arrived at Lakeview on July 22nd hoping to get a room for that night as well as the 23rd which we already had booked. However, there were no vacancies. After trying a Holiday Inn Express and a Super 8 nearby (no vacancies), we managed to find a room at Springhill Suites (Marriott) about 10 mins. from Lakeview.
We golfed at Lakeview that afternoon and were subjected to a 5+ hour round of golf. There was a single playing 2 balls in front of us who refused to join the threesome in front of him as well as a foursome about 4 groups in front of us that had 3 holes open in front of them and the whole course backed up behind them. Of course there was not a Course Attendant in sight.
After shopping in the Pro Shop and having a few beverages at Legends we decided that we did not want to come back the next day and went to cancel our reservation for the 23rd. This is when we were told quite rudely that there was a 48 hour cancellation policy and that it was 100% non-refundable. I know for a fact that this room could have been re-booked 10 times over as there was a huge Biker Rally in Morgantown that weekend and every other motel was booked solid from Wed. to Sat. That was of little or no concern to Molly at the front desk. We did not cancel our reservation and the room sat empty for the night. This room could have been given to someone else who may have golfed, eaten, shopped, drank and become a repeat customer but for the sake of refunding me my $125 deposit, they may have lost out on all kinds of revenue. This is terrible Customer Service in my view. They have lost between $800 - $1000 this coming October (and many other Octobers) that my golf group would have spent just because of greed and a very stupid policy.
The good thing about all this is I found a fabulous motel in Springhill Suites in Morgantown and will continue to go there in the future. Their accommodations were 10 times nicer than Lakeview and the free breakfast offered there was better than the one we paid $12.50 for at Lakeview.
I will continue to golf at Lakeview (begrudgingly) because I like the course but will never stay there again. Nor will I spend a nickel there on food, beverages or shopping.
I hope you enjoyed ripping one of your repeat customers off for $125!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tom F
Austin
Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

During my stay the accommodations were great. Although the staff was busy , they were always available and willing to help you with whatever you needed. The bar was very friendly and the service and food were great. I would recommend this hotel to all my family and friends.

Stayed June 2014