“Convenient, clean hotel friendly staff”

Clarion Hotel Morgan
Ranked #13 of 24 Hotels in Morgantown
Reviewed 1 October 2011

This was my first overnight visit to Morgantown after leaving school nearly 30 years ago. I normally prefer more luxurious accommodations and had wanted to stay at The Waterfront Place Hotel (it was booked and far more expensive). A friend and I stayed at Hotel Morgan for 3 nights. After 1 day in Morgantown, I decided that "the hotel angel" had been sitting on my shoulder on this trip. The Waterfront Place turned out to be far from the downtown area and my friend and I both agreed that Hotel Morgan fit the bill for what we needed. It was clean, quiet (even though my room faced High St.) and the staff could not have been more friendly. The convenience of being in town was the big draw for us. We loved the fact that we could walk out the door and access the downtown area easily. The CHARMiNG lighted grotto like seating area on top of the roof was a perfect place to enjoy a glass of wine and reminisce! There is a dedicated parking area for Hotel Morgan that can fill up at night. If it is filled, bring your quarters so that you can park in metered parking nearby. My room was not a palace (carpet is probably due to be replaced) but the bed was comfortable, room was clean and I had everything I needed. Madeleine's (terrific restaurant) is right across the street (see my review). Loved Hotel Morgan and would go back as long as it is not a football weekend. We stayed during the week so it would be difficult to predict how the staff reacts to a rowdy football crowd!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank chrisd

Reviewed 1 September 2011

Classy, fun, great drinks, nice restaurant ... Best local for Morgantown

• Stayed: December 2010
Reviewed 30 August 2011

This hotel was just what we wanted. Affordable, well-located, and we only had to pay for what we *really* wanted: comfortable beds and a great location. The rooms were quiet and slightly larger than average. Staff was extremely helpful with recommendations about stuff to do downtown, where to find a good winery, etc. They may not have a gigantic business center or huge fitness room, but for a couple days it's all you really need.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 August 2011

Room was fine, staff was fine.
We stayed friday night, and left at check out time on saturday, 2 hours later, I realized I had left my iPod docking station there,on the desk in plain view. So I called to see if it had been found. They were not sure, so they went up and checked the room, no one had found it, and it was not in the room.
I realize it was my fault for forgetting it....but come on, it didn't just evaporate. Someone found it.
Thanks, to the dishonest employee.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 August 2011

We stayed two nights at the Hotel Morgan in Morgantown while checking our daughter into WVU. This older hotel is still very charming. Sure it has some minor things that could be improved but overall it's a great place. Maybe the best thing about the hotel is the service we received both at the front desk and in the hotel's eighth floor restaurant. The Montmartre is a jewel in downtown Morgantown with excellent dishes. Our server, Katie was terrific. She went out of her way to make sure our dinner was special. She even worked the lobby bar the next night and was a delight once again. we will visit our daughter many times in the next four years and will pencil in the Hotel Morgan again.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 August 2011

We stayed for one night while we toured WVU. Hotel is in an old historic building on High St walking distance to many local eateries and shops in the downtown area. That's the best of it. The room was ok, missing Kleenex and no extra roll of TP, there were sheets in a drawer for the pullout but were musty, there was some peeling wall paper and the bathroom door didn't lock. Minor stuff (except for the TP!). HOWEVER. i needed wifi which the hotel usually has so we could research the area and some other stuff on the university. We were warned on check in that it was out but being worked on. The front desk admitted that they were "borrowing" free wifi from the museum next door. But it was only a good enough signal to use in the lobby which is not ok. By the next AM it was still out and they graciously offered a 25% discount on my room which was just fine. I graciously accepted....The breakfast was weak, ice cold butter and cream cheese, fridge kept, even during breakfast, would not spread, they did have a waffle maker and a toaster and some cereal but the OJ dispenser was not working or empty. The breakfast area is a dismal depressing fluorescent lit utilitarian room on a floor above the lobby. No TV for news etc. The Hotel itself has some gorgeous rooms with incredible woodwork, they could make a better breakfast area. The parking is free but in an outside lot across the street and down a block, there is a small area to pull over and drop luggage on High St., which can be busy, in front of the hotel so that helps.
All in all a little TLC and thoughtfulness would go a long way in this poor old hotel. We paid $109 before the 25% discount.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 August 2011

The Clarion Hotel Morgan is an older, largely unrenovated hotel right smack dab in the center of college town Morgantown. I picked it because it seemed to be a place from which I could walk around and see this terrific city, and that was very true. Service was quite good. The complimentary breakfast was just fine and a nice touch. My room was huge and comfortable. The only downside was a lack of air conditioning in the hallway on my guest floor and an odor on the floor (only in the hallway) that was noticeable and quite foul. That last comment should not deter you from a stay. I think Hotel Morgan is a great place to stay to see WVU and all that comes with it!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business