“O.K. Place to Stay Overnight”

Clarion Hotel Morgan
Ranked #13 of 24 Hotels in Morgantown
Reviewed 25 April 2013

We stayed here only one night - overnight on our way to our vacation destination. The room was large and clean, but old. The rest of the hotel, the lobby and entrance were old and needed a good cleaning. the chandeliers in the entry were covered with dust that looked to be decades old - they didn't sparkle and shine like chandeliers should. The whole hotel (except the room) needed a deep dusting and cleaning; updating and new paint jobs wouldn't hurt, either. We had a couple of drinks in the lobby bar and it looked o.k. A basic breakfast was included in our rate, which we weren't expecting.

We stayed here because it was so convenient to downtown where we could walk to restaurants. This is the only hotel that is located downtown if this is important to you, and the room was clean, but everything else was not what we expected. This hotel was probably a grand place in its day, but not today and that's a shame. I rated this hotel as average because of the clean room and the location.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 24 April 2013

My daughter and I went to visit and tour WVU and wanted to stay near the campus...I did not see another hotel closer to the downtown area..there are many shops and restaurants on High Street as well and only a half mile walk to the campus..I would definitely stay there again. Also the hotel is very close to the WVU visitors center on the waterfront...so after a nice continental breakfast we literally got to our 9:30 am tour in 7 minutes.

Room Tip: we had a room overlooking the river...room was at the end of the hall and had windows on two walls...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 April 2013

Friendly staff, great location... But to say its been renovated????..must have been in 60's...or id be terrified to know what it looked like before renovation.

The hotel is not a little tired its in an all out coma. Go to Waterfront or Euro Suites....not as convenient but well cared for properties.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed 4 April 2013

friendly staff, clean rooms. nice ole cozy hotel . my favorite place to stay in Morgantown. when i go on a road trip out of Pittsburgh to see my favorite bands play at 123 Pleasant, i always stay at the Clarion Hotel Morgan.

Room Tip: they are all good.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 April 2013

this is a very beautiful old hotel. choice hotels did a wonderful job renovating it! the only draw back is the parking. we had a park a distance from the hotel. the deisk clerk came up to the room and turned up the heat for us prior to when my dad and i got the room with our suitcases.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Francie C
Reviewed 18 March 2013

Last minute booking due to weather. Wasn't scheduled to go to Morgantown until the next day when I had an overnight conference at the Waterfront Hotel (more on that in a minute) A coming snowstorm persuaded me to leave the night before. I was the last guest to check in for the night and was greeted by name at the desk. The lobby is full of beautiful hardwood paneling, very classy. I didn't see much of the hotel other than the lobby, my room, and the coffee shop the next morning. My room was quite pleasing. When I first walked in I saw an old, but well taken care room, then I realized there was also a sofa and big screen TV and fridge. After I checked in I was able to walk just a couple of blocks to a variety of places to choose from to have a drink. Whether a college dance club, Buffalo Wild wings, or a quiet Ale House is your style, it was all right there just a few blocks away. The block the Hotel sits on is very quiet.
The next morning, I realized I had forgotten dress socks and hairspray, but no worry, there is a Dollar General on the next block. Stopped in the coffee shop on the way out the door and had a cup hot cup of Starbuck's to warm me up on the snowy morning I woke up to. Also grabbed a couple delicious little flaky pastries with cream cheese filling, just enough to settle my stomach until I got to my next venture.
My reason for being in Morgantown was a two-day event at the Waterfront Place Hotel. I had already had a room booked there during the conference, so when I decided to go to Morgantown a day early, I called the Waterfront first to add on a night. However the price of a room there was going to be nearly $75 more than a night at The Hotel Morgan. (My room at The Waterfront had been paid for and booked for me, so the price was quite a suprise) The Waterfront Hotel is pretty... because it's new. The internet access requires you to sit at the desk in your room (no wireless) and there is no mini-fridge (big turn-off for me, if you're traveling, you're going to be eating out, if you're eating out on the company's budget, you're gonna have leftovers)
I don't know how ammenities stack up, but I'm a value shopper. I don't need a fancy pool or weight room or business center. I just needed somewhere clean and safe to sleep with internet. I would choose The Clarion Hotel Morgan again anytime I'm traveling to Morgantown.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
7  Thank ronnmelon
Reviewed 4 March 2013

I would like to give this hotel 4.5 stars, That’s not an option, so it gets 4.
It gets 5 stars for being a historic building, nicely refurbished but retaining its gorgeous, original, 1920s oak-paneled lobby and grand ballroom. I give it a 5 for being located downtown and not at the exit of an Interstate. There are interesting walks and local, not chain, restaurants and a nice view of the city at night instead of a view of a parking lot. It gets MORE than 5 stars for being QUIET; no highway under my window and hardly any street noise, and the HVAC unit makes a nice white noise machine, which I like though some may not. Also, there is a partition between the bed and the door, which may muffle some corridor noise (though it did not prevent me from hearing my neighbors discussing dinner in loud voices). N.B.: I stayed during West Virginia University’s winter break. I imagine the street is much noisier when the students are back at the U, which is just up the street.

The room was unusually well set up for a budget hotel, with that partition and a separate sitting/TV area; also a fridge and microwave outside the partition. There was a wardrobe instead of a closet, which I thought charming in a retro sort of way. The view is a plus.

Down side: Hallway carpeting is worn and dirty. One of two computers in the business center did not connect to Internet. Iron in room had a bent plug and did not work well. They charge you for the in-room safe and you have to request that charges be removed. Breakfast was adequate, nothing special at all, and breakfast room is dismal, no windows, prep room visible and not attractive, no TV to make background chatter. Coffee disappointing; hotel probably trying to promote business for Starbucks in lobby.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business