“Take the Good With the Bad”

Clarion Hotel Morgan
Ranked #15 of 25 Hotels in Morgantown
Reviewed 13 June 2013

My son and I were in Morgantown for Freshman orientation at WVU. We wanted a hotel near his downtown dorm and this was about the only choice. Excellent location, recently renovated rooms, easy parking but overall disappointing.
The hotel suffers from a severe lack of maintenance. It looks like nothing's really been cleaned here for a year. Lobby was nice but musty- rooms had water stains on the mirrors and picture frames. I found a a dirt spot on a bath towel but aside from that, the room was fine. Ours had a sofa bed but it wasn't made up. When I called down to the desk I was told the sheets were in a drawer- no blanket... kind of annoying. Worst was that no one made up our room for our second night! We got the feeling the only person working thee entire building was the desk clerk.

1  Thank KenTrot

Reviewed 6 June 2013

We stayed here one night before I ran a half marathon. I loved the antique look to the lobby with all the dark wood! I love a place with character and history. Check in was a breeze and while parking is not immediately at the hotel (valet is available but we didn't use it) we found it plenty convenient. For the price, (we did get a runner's special) the room was very comfortable and spacious. The king bed was comfortable. Breakfast the next morning was your typical hotel continental breakfast with a waffle iron, breads, cereal, yogurt, and hard boiled egg. I was able to find enough options to fuel my run! An extra bonus was that the nice guy at the desk let us check out a bit late so I could have a post-run shower before heading home. Heaven! I would highly recommend this hotel if you're looking for all around good value, hospitality, and convenience.

1  Thank gracie5107
Reviewed 4 June 2013

I was traveling through the area on the way to North Carolina with my two young children (2 and 11 months). The young lady at the front desk was more than helpful, making sure I took advantage of the free valet parking (even though, despite other reviews to the contrary, the lot was directly across the street). Despite the fact that it was on the main street (High Street), the room was very quiet, and we heard little noise from the outside, other than a few police sirens.
The reason I give it four stars is because of the breakfast. It was pretty underwhelming, and was tucked away in a room that looked like an oversized staff break room. I would stay again, because of the location, the helpfulness of the staff, and the nice quality of rooms and beds.

1  Thank Maggie C
Reviewed 15 May 2013

Took a group to stay at the Clarion Hotel in Morgantown. We experienced a detour in Beckley, WV - a 40 mile detour that took us 5 hours to get through. We arrived at the hotel at midnight - in time for a midnight buffet that was supposed to be at 6:30 p.m. (Many thanks to Marc for making it happen). The rooms were nice. Hotel location good. The night shift at the desk didn't seem very hospitable - to a group that was filling 23 rooms for the evening!!! Porterage was requested - bags delivered to the motor coach. Checking out no one asked for my credit card to cover charges for baggage (payment for lodging and dinner had been paid by check two weeks in advance). For several days after our visit - the hotel made multiple calls (my office, cell, email, etc) to try and secure my credit card number so they could get receipt of the $53 for porterage!! I brought about $4000 to the hotel!! Ridiculous to spend so much time to get $53! AND NOT EVEN A THANK YOU AFTER RECEIVING FORM, ETC.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 April 2013

friendly you,college town staff,very helpful with luggage and parking.nice room but a terrubkle view,a blank wall of the building next door.lots of restaurants and lounges nearbya nice diversion from the usual interstate box motels.choice hotelsd had a free night promotion which they denied me brcause they said i callrd the hotel numer rather than their 800 number which was untrue.went out of my way to patronize them and they found a way to make me ineligible for thheir promotion after they had my money.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank keverina
Reviewed 29 April 2013

We were a little nervious about checking into this hotel the lobby was awesome! but we were unsure of the rooms. We asked the man at the front desk if we could preview a room before making our decision. They showed us room 601 and it was the best of both worlds! Old charm with modern renovations! Lots of wood and history in this building!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 April 2013

We stayed here only one night - overnight on our way to our vacation destination. The room was large and clean, but old. The rest of the hotel, the lobby and entrance were old and needed a good cleaning. the chandeliers in the entry were covered with dust that looked to be decades old - they didn't sparkle and shine like chandeliers should. The whole hotel (except the room) needed a deep dusting and cleaning; updating and new paint jobs wouldn't hurt, either. We had a couple of drinks in the lobby bar and it looked o.k. A basic breakfast was included in our rate, which we weren't expecting.

We stayed here because it was so convenient to downtown where we could walk to restaurants. This is the only hotel that is located downtown if this is important to you, and the room was clean, but everything else was not what we expected. This hotel was probably a grand place in its day, but not today and that's a shame. I rated this hotel as average because of the clean room and the location.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple