“Clarion Hotel Morgantown, WV”

Ranked #16 of 25 Hotels in Morgantown
Springfield, Virginia
“Clarion Hotel Morgantown, WV”
Reviewed 14 January 2014

The hotel was clean and nicely decorated. It is an older hotel that has been well refurbished. I personally prefer the older style hotels with the nice woodwork and a more classy feel. The room was clean/nice with a comfortable bed. The furniture appeared new with a love seat that pulled out for an extra bed.
The hotel staff was very friendly and polite. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Mill Creek, West Virginia, United States
Reviewed 29 October 2013

We stayed here because of how convenient it was to down town. Beautiful lobby but got to the room and it was very dated, window didn't close, rotten wood in the bathroom. So we thought we would try the restaurant on the 8th floor, bad idea! Bad service and poor food quality! I would have rather spent my money on pizza! This was all recommended by friends, but we will never stay there again! I felt very dirty after being there for a night! Please spend your money elsewhere!

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
RobynAbraham, General Manager at Clarion Hotel Morgan, responded to this review, 10 December 2013
First thank-you for taking the time to fill out our survey. It's through this process that we are able to take the opportunity to correct issues for you, our most valued guest. Its our goal to deliver exceptional guest to each and every guest, I am truly sorry we fell short of your expectations.

The Hotel Morgan "Threw Open Its Doors" in 1925 as one of the premier hotels in the country. The Morgantown Post declared it "Grand!" Over the next 70 year's time took its toll on the hotel. In 1999 the property underwent a complete historic rehabilitation. The ballroom with its two-story ceilings and the balcony overview was restored beyond its original grandeur and is the first choice of weddings and banquets in the area. The Smaller original guest rooms were combined and converted to suites. The renovations incorporated a full service restaurant on the 8th floor offering beautiful panoramic views of the downtown district. The Montmartre is known for it's Filet Mignon among many other favorite dishes prepared by Chef Rob.

Our housekeeping staff takes great pride in delivering clean and comfortable rooms so you enjoy your time while you are away from home. We have recently began upgrading rooms with new furniture and decorations.

If I can assist you in any way please do contact me direct at 304-292-8200 or my cell 304-695-8708. We hope you will give us the opportunity to serve you again.

Robyn Abraham, Paula Wilson and Staff
Hotel Morgan
Morgantown, WV
Cumberland, Maryland
Reviewed 18 October 2013

Recently attended a wedding reception at this hotel. After using the Valet service we found that the three gifts that we had bought had been gone through. Two were engraved with the couples names so they were left alone. The third was wrapped and that one was stolen out of our car. After arriving home we found items in our glove box had also been taken A set of keys to our winter home in Florida and the folder containing contact information for us had been gone through as well. We heard as well that gift bags for guest that were going to travel longer distances home had had items removed from them These were handed out at the front desk at check-out with some items removed. The rooms are clean and hotel nice for an older historic building Would I return ? Not to this hotel

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Nelson H
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 1 October 2013

We were in Morgantown, WV so that my husband could take a few of his clients to the West Virginia University football game. I dropped my husband at the stadium, toured Morgantown for a bit, and then went on to the hotel.

The check-in experience was awful. I accidently found the hotel parking lot while trying to find the hotel. The lot is off-site and about a block away from the hotel. I carried half our luggage to the hotel to check in. I had to make a second trip to carry in the rest of our luggage.

I walked into the hotel and the two young women working the front desk never looked up until I smiled and said "Wow, it's dark in here after the bright sunlight." The lobby is very dark. Miranda finally looked up and said yes it is dark in here. I said I would like to check in, it was about 3 p.m., and the fun began. I had to repeat and spell my name three times. Then Miranda said she could not find our confirmation, but there could be a mix-up as the person taking reservations had screwed up three previous guest reservations.

Meanwhile, Sabrina is hovering around the front desk while eating. Sabrina kept interrupting, talking with her mouth full, while Miranda tried to help me. I found the confirmation number on my smart phone, with Sabrina telling how to do that while I was doing it, mouth still full of candy. She was irritating me with her know-it-all approach and her constant interruptions. I finally told Sabrina that I used to work for the hotel association and eating at the front desk was a no-no. This made her mad and she flounced away. I got my room key, put my stuff in the 6th floor room, and went back to the parking lot to get the rest of our luggage.

We were charged $235 for the room because West Virginia University had a home game and hotels always charge a higher rate when they think they can get away with price hikes, but $235 for this place? It was not worth the money. The toilet is the type you see in gas station rest rooms; open plumbing, foot flush-handle. The furniture was beat-up pressboard. The windows were dirty, even on the inside which would not be hard to clean. I discovered other peoples trash in the drawers. Personal items that should have been disposed of when the room was cleaned. The air conditioning unit was full of dirt or mold or something black. Yuck.

I left my room to find ice. The couple down the hall couldn't get into their room because the key didn't work. I went up to the 7th floor, where the nearest ice machine was located, and found another guest who couldn't get into his room because the key didn't work. (When my husband got to the room after attending the football game with clients and taking them to dinner, he couldn't get into the room because his key didn't work.)

I left the hotel to get something to eat, and got back to the hotel about 4 p.m. There was Sabrina, slumped over the guest side of the front desk, arms and head resting on the front desk, playing with her cell phone, looking bored.

At 6:30 p.m., I discovered the light in the bathroom didn't work. Nor did the phone when I tried to call the front desk. I called the hotel on my cell phone and talked to Patrick. I told him the phone didn't work and the only light working in the bathroom was the heat lamp. He said he would send up someone right away. Nobody came to fix the light. We spent the night with only the heat lamp to light the bathroom.

At 8:30 p.m., I checked the hotel website to see if poor service was common with this property, and discovered the answer to that question is yes. I also discovered the hotel is supposed to offer free valet parking but the two women at the front desk never offered it to me. The only advice I got from them regarding parking was that parking spaces were limited, and I better be parked for the night before the game was over to ensure getting a place to park.

In the morning, I discovered the coffee service in the room consisted of one packet of decaf coffee. No regular coffee, no cream and sugar. Oh well. If the coffee maker was as clean as the room, I didn't want to use it anyway.

Check-out was the same as check-in. Miranda asked for the room number three times. Sabrina interrupted Miranda with questions regarding paperwork for something else that could have waited. So Miranda and Sabrina are discussing general paperwork, making us wait to finish checking out.

While I was telling Miranda about the non-working bathroom light, no coffee, keys that didn't work, Sabrina constantly interrupted and let me know these issues were my fault; I should have called the front desk, I should have left the room and come down to the front desk, etc. I handed a maintenance request for bathroom light and phone repair to Miranda that I had completed. I told Sabrina that I did call the front desk and talked to Patrick. Didn't matter, Sabrina kept telling me I should have come down to the front desk. In Sabrina's eyes, my problems with the hotel maintenance/housekeeping were my fault. Miranda said I could complete the guest comment card and she would give it to the manager. (If the manager cared about guest services, the staff would be better trained in the first place.)

We did not visit the restaurants in the hotel, not even for the free breakfast. The front desk staff set the pace for hotel service, and that wasn't favorable.

The front desk staff needs training in guest services and basic social skills. Greet the guests when they come into the hotel. Say hello, may I help you. Walmart does a better job of greeting customers than the Hotel Morgan. Offer valet parking. Apologize for dirty rooms, lack of coffee service, keys that don't work. Don't blame the guest for hotel problems. And make notes when the guest is talking to you so don't have to ask the same questions over and over. If your co-worker is busy with a guest, don't interrupt. Don't eat at the front desk and talk with your mouth full. If you aren't helping the guest, be quite and don't interrupt. If you say you'll send up maintenance to change a light bulb, do it. And if you're bored, don't hang around the front of the guest desk. Go in back and be bored.

We usually stay at the Waterfront Hotel, but is was full because of the football game. Next time this happens, we will drive to the next freeway exit for a hotel. We will never inconvenience the staff at Hotel Morgan by staying there, again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Sara V
RobynAbrahamGM, General Manager at Clarion Hotel Morgan, responded to this review, 4 October 2013
Thank-you for taking the time to tell about your stay with us. My name is Robyn Abraham, I have been the General Manager of Clarion Hotel Morgan for 3 weeks now. I have been in the hotel industry for many years and must say I was horrified to read of your experience. I am sincerely sorry that your experience was not exceptional and fell so short of what our team is setting out to deliver. I want you to know that we are immediately addressing every issue you spoke about and implementing the changes needed.This is not typical nor is it acceptable. If you would please call me direct at-304-292-8200 or my cell 304-695-8708 I would like to further discuss your visit.

Robyn Abraham and Staff
Romney, West Virginia
Reviewed 18 September 2013

I bid a $60 hotel on Priceline and got this. It's an historic (old) hotel Clarion has owned since 1991. Everything about it is old and worn. The lobby is very dark, elevators slow, wallpaper peeling in the hallways. This place needs a huge makeover. My king bed room was decent and clean, but dark and dingy. Good mattress. Only one electrical outlet near the desk, so I had to go around the room looking for places to plug in my various chargers. Free internet is fast enough to do business. You have to pull your car up onto the sidewalk to unload in front of the hotel, then drive to one of several small (free) parking lots from 200 yards to 2 blocks away. The continental breakfast was disappointing. Overcooked bacon, mushy fried potatoes (they must have been frozen), weak coffee, a mediocre mix of donuts and bagels, hard boiled and peeled eggs, and a waffle maker. This place is in the middle of downtown, so convenient for salespeople who need to be there. A block and a half from a good Indian restaurant (Mother India) which has a very good all-you-can-eat buffet from Tues-Sat, 11:15am-2:15pm.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor, quiet room.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank KenC108
RobynAbrahamGM, General Manager at Clarion Hotel Morgan, responded to this review, 21 September 2013
Thank-you for taking the time to rate your recent stay with us. My name is Robyn Abraham, the new General Manager of Clarion Hotel Morgan. Our goal is to deliver exceptional guest service to each and every guest, leaving a positive memorable impression that will set us apart from our competition. In regards to your comments about our property being outdated we are pleased to let you know that we are in the process of updating our rooms as well as many areas in the hotel. We are currently working on our breakfast and adding choices to our menu for you, our most valuable guest. It was a pleasure to serve you and we look forward to your next visit with us. If I can assist you in any way please do contact me direct at 304-292-8200 or 304-695-8708.

Robyn Abraham, General Manager
and Staff of Clarion Hotel Morgan
Morgantown, WV
Pompano Beach, Florida
Reviewed 9 September 2013

The building and infrastructure is older as suggested by other reviews. The room was also dated, but clean and spacious. The real surprise was the hotel restaurant and bar on the 8th floor. The 2 for 1 Happy Hour was great and the food was exceptional. The taste and artistry of the caprese salad was second to none and the fish was very good. The tab for two, with martinis and wine for each, salad and main course, as $70.

Room Tip: Have dinner in the hotel restaurant
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JayLou2
We are so pleased to hear you enjoyed your recent stay with us. My name is Robyn Abraham, the new General Manager. We are in the process of updating our rooms and upgrading our breakfast to better serve our guest's needs. We are happy that you enjoyed your experience at the Montmartre Restaurant, our guest's just rave about the food and cocktails..... we also have The Lobby bar that has a great atmosphere and often has great local talent's like Phil Wiseman! It was truly a pleasure to have you and we look forward to serving you on your next stay with us. If I can assist you in any way please do contact me direct at 304-292-8200 or my cell 304-695-8708.

Robyn Abraham