“Location, Location, Location” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #15 of 24 Hotels in Morgantown
Arlington, Virginia
“Location, Location, Location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014

I have to admit that I was leary about staying here at first, as I normally stay at the Hilton brand of quality. I was pleasantly surprised! Here visiting WVU and wanted to stay downtown where all the action (bars and stuff) were within walking distance. Here's what I found:

Pros: excellent location, the restaurant on the 8th floor was great, downstairs bar was nice and had a really friendly bartender, rooms were clean and spacious, we walked down to the 123 Club a block away and saw an excellent band; this place was right in the middle of the action - let me be clear - this is a college party town and that is what I mean by action

Cons: okay - so it is not the Ritz but it definitely stood my measure of quality: It was clean and I would say comparable to any Hampton Inn or Fairfield level of expectation; it is an older building with older bones like the elevator but this did not bother me at all

I would absolutely come back here and recommend to others. If my daughter ends up going to college here this may be the place I crash on visits.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
USA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2014 via mobile

The clerk at the front desk was the same person that I spoke with when I called about the hotel. He wasn't pleasant and I felt like I was bothering him although I was the only person around. It was very hard to get answers from him. The room was decent. Bed was uncomfortable. Not all that impressed for the price. Appreciated the maids - they were nice. Wouldn't stay here again and my company paid for it, not me!

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Truthntellr

Travellers are raving about these Morgantown hotels

Falls Church, Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2014

This hotel has so much potential but it is well past time for a refresh! I heard other guests in my hallway on the 3rd floor complaining about the smell of the carpet. My room was as clean as it possibly have been as far as housekeeping staff was concerned but there were stains on the carpet and and a stale odor in the room. I enjoy the convenient location in downtown Morgantown but may take a pass on this hotel and stay at the newer, fresher hotels on the outer campus on my next visit. One thing that drew me here was the proximity to Madeleines, the restaurant across the street but the something is now terribly amiss there….my recent meal was terrible. My impression of Hotel Morgan is that they don't redecorate it because they don't have to... there aren't many hotels downtown. It is getting bad enough that I am considering other alternatives. The staff at Hotel Morgan could not be more welcoming, friendly or helpful though so this is no reflection on them. I hope that Clarion considers restoring this grande dame of a hotel to its former glory as I love the location!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Springfield, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2014

The hotel was clean and nicely decorated. It is an older hotel that has been well refurbished. I personally prefer the older style hotels with the nice woodwork and a more classy feel. The room was clean/nice with a comfortable bed. The furniture appeared new with a love seat that pulled out for an extra bed.
The hotel staff was very friendly and polite. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Mill Creek, West Virginia, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2013

We stayed here because of how convenient it was to down town. Beautiful lobby but got to the room and it was very dated, window didn't close, rotten wood in the bathroom. So we thought we would try the restaurant on the 8th floor, bad idea! Bad service and poor food quality! I would have rather spent my money on pizza! This was all recommended by friends, but we will never stay there again! I felt very dirty after being there for a night! Please spend your money elsewhere!

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
RobynAbraham, General Manager at Clarion Hotel Morgan, responded to this review, 10 December 2013
First thank-you for taking the time to fill out our survey. It's through this process that we are able to take the opportunity to correct issues for you, our most valued guest. Its our goal to deliver exceptional guest to each and every guest, I am truly sorry we fell short of your expectations.

The Hotel Morgan "Threw Open Its Doors" in 1925 as one of the premier hotels in the country. The Morgantown Post declared it "Grand!" Over the next 70 year's time took its toll on the hotel. In 1999 the property underwent a complete historic rehabilitation. The ballroom with its two-story ceilings and the balcony overview was restored beyond its original grandeur and is the first choice of weddings and banquets in the area. The Smaller original guest rooms were combined and converted to suites. The renovations incorporated a full service restaurant on the 8th floor offering beautiful panoramic views of the downtown district. The Montmartre is known for it's Filet Mignon among many other favorite dishes prepared by Chef Rob.

Our housekeeping staff takes great pride in delivering clean and comfortable rooms so you enjoy your time while you are away from home. We have recently began upgrading rooms with new furniture and decorations.

If I can assist you in any way please do contact me direct at 304-292-8200 or my cell 304-695-8708. We hope you will give us the opportunity to serve you again.

Robyn Abraham, Paula Wilson and Staff
Hotel Morgan
Morgantown, WV
Cumberland, Maryland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2013

Recently attended a wedding reception at this hotel. After using the Valet service we found that the three gifts that we had bought had been gone through. Two were engraved with the couples names so they were left alone. The third was wrapped and that one was stolen out of our car. After arriving home we found items in our glove box had also been taken A set of keys to our winter home in Florida and the folder containing contact information for us had been gone through as well. We heard as well that gift bags for guest that were going to travel longer distances home had had items removed from them These were handed out at the front desk at check-out with some items removed. The rooms are clean and hotel nice for an older historic building Would I return ? Not to this hotel

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family