“Glad we stayed here!!”

Ranked #15 of 24 Hotels in Morgantown
Valdese, North Carolina
“Glad we stayed here!!”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I had read some of the reviews after making our reservation and seriously thought about cancelling. Glad I didn't. I'm not sure what some of the others expected from the hotel but it was not anywhere near as bad as reviewed. It was clean, didn't need to be painted, the beds were not bad or old, the hot tub works and the pool was clean. The only thing that I read that did seem to be true was the noise from the elevator...that was all. If you were expecting the Ritz-Carlton....then yes, it was probably a let down but it's not a terrible place to stay as others have said. The staff is also very friendly and accommodating, as one night we let our young son swim, and afterwards he wanted a banana like they have for breakfast, so I asked the young lady if there was any way possible to get him one....she not only came back from the kitchen with a banana but also an apple. Very nice place to stay, and if in the area again, will stay here.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
James L, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Morgantown, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Gabe_and_Tab,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We appreciate your business and all the great comments about our property and our staff. We like to hear how our guests see our property and how your stay was.

James Locklar

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 21 May 2014

It seems like the only competent desk person working was the one working over night, his name tag said Robert. When we checked in the girl working wasn't at the desk and didn't have a sign our anything up. We waited for several minutes and then we saw her come out of the bathroom. Her eyes were glossy, she was sniffing a lot, and she was kind of rude. She stumbled around with papers and apologized she forgot to put a sign up when she left the desk but she seemed like she was out of it or had just snorted something. The rate we had agreed to want the rate we were charged and we ended up going down to the desk around midnight. That's when the night person was working and he adjusted our rate and explained about an authorization charge that would drop off of our account. He also ended up printing us directions and helped us with everything we asked. We told him about the girl working before and he apologized and assured us their staff was great especially the assistant and general manager. In the morning we got breakfast and even though the breakfast was slammed the young brunette girl working was friendly and kept everything well stocked, and the food she made was also delicious. She seemed kind of stressed because every seat was filled and people were standing in line waiting and some people were even standing around eating but she kept her composure and was still smiling and being sweet. Overall or stay was great, the rings were nice, breakfast staff was good, and the night staff was excellent, but I think the evening staff needs a little work.

• Stayed May 2014
Tonawanda, New York
Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

OK, not my choice to spend my weekend, but I had to attend the WVU graduation this May. First off, $240 a night with AAA is a bit steep, but it is a college town and it was graduation weekend. Well this hotel isn't worth the $40 of that room rate. Generally the hotel is run down. In need of a complete overhaul. We had a two queen bed room on the 2nd floor. The room appeared to be clean, but had a musty smell to it. Finally got the A/C to work and the freshened up the place a bit. The elevator needs work. It is old, slow and a disaster waiting to happen. I didn't eat breakfast at the hotel just because I was running late. My wife and kid did and said it was typical HIE. Now the beds... THAT WAS THE WORST BED I have ever had in a hotel. It was worn out 10 years ago when it was installed.

-- Benefits -- A bunch of outdoor 120V outlets for charging your Electric Vehicle or plugging in a block heater in the winter. Close to shopping, restaurants, etc... Friendly front desk staff. Alexis was VERY HELPFUL.

-- Drawbacks -- Dirty, Poor Furnishings, needs paint work, pool work, elevator work and probably a change in corporate flags will be in order soon. OVER PRICED TOO... They suck you in cuz it is in a college town and they know they gotcha...

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Morgantown, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Dear Paul_da_Bulldog,

Thank you for your review and being so detailed in the good, and the opportunities to work on. I am happy to know that you were pleased with our staff and amenities.

You have identified issues in regard to the room and overall condition of the hotel. With that, I apologize for any inconvenience you may have encountered. As our valued guest, we thank you for your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services.

Again, thank you for your feedback. We look forward to serving you again in your future travels.

Kind Regards,

Tracy V.
Charleston, West Virginia, United States
Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

This was the worst hotel experience I've ever had. My room was right behind the front desk so it was especially noisy. Every time someone in the next room or the room above me used water, it sounded like someone was beating my door with a leather strap. The laundry room was right across the hall so there was activity all night long with the door open. I had warm but no hot water. And I had to turn the AC down to 60 to get the room comfortable enough to even keep from sweating. It was so miserable and loud the whole night. I told the front desk and they said they would look into it but offered no compassion. I was there for business and have stayed there before with no problem, but I probably will not stay there again.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Lecia A
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Morgantown, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Dear Lecia A,

Thank you very much for your recent stay with us. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product. Please accept our sincere apologies for falling short of your expectations. We take comments like this very seriously and we would like to follow up with you. I sent you a private message regarding your experience.

I look forward to your response and be of further assistance.

Lera P
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 14 April 2014

During my checkin on 4/9/14, I learned that no clean rooms were ready. But the young black lady (don't remember name) deeply apologized, allowed me use of the business center to take care of some computer work, provided me with an internet access number and promised to expedite the cleaning of a room. Once the room was ready, she walked the keys over to me and with a smile apologized again. It gets better...
Later that evening, I had to send an important 23-page fax out; it had to be received that night in order to close a real estate contract. Alexis (correct name?) offered to send it out but there was a problem...it didn't initially connect. Because it kept giving her an error, she promised to keep trying until it went through and then drop the original off at my door. She did get it to go through while I was again in the lobby, but wasn't that so nice and professional of her to make all the extra attempts and to offer to drop off the original. I travel a great deal, stay in lots of hotels, but this experience was the nicest I can rember happening to me for many months. Those two ladies make up a strong team and I will always return to that hotel when I'm in the area as a result. Jack Hopwood

Room Tip: Many first floor rooms have accomodations for the handicapped so are roomier.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 14 April 2014

To start I am disabled and must walk with a cane, my wife and I had reservations for 2 nights( friday and saturday ) - on returning to our room sat. afternoon could not enter our room as the keycard did not work. Went to front desk were they fixed the cards with no apology. Sat. returned to at 12:00 am to find out of order taped to elevator, my room was on 2nd floor and stairs are very hard for me. The young man behind the counter worked on the elevator for one hour but could not get it to work so he said they would pay for a room at another hotel if one was available, the time now is 1:00 am. I turned it down and had to have his help to climb the 2 sets of stairs to get to my room with the king size bed in the shape of a fish bowl. When we checked out the next day not a word was said in apology for the night before. Very poor way to run a business. I will not stay at holiday in again!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Greg W
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Morgantown, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Dear Greg W,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay at Holiday Inn Express Morgantown. It is regrettable you were not satisfied with the service you received. I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Karen G.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 April 2014 via mobile

Travelling across the whole of America staying in different hotels every night and this was one of my favourites. Lovely staff and the manager was incredibly helpful. Well recommended! Pool and gym were clean, as were the rooms and only a short walk to variety of restaurants.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends