“You get what you pay for”

Hotel Morgantown and Conference Center
Ranked #23 of 25 Hotels in Morgantown
Reviewed 9 April 2013

The staff was great! Breakfast was ok. But I can not say one good thing about the room. Even the toilet seat looked bad...old and very poor condition...location was great but next time I would probably fork over a little more for a better place

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Hotel Morgantown and Conference Center

Reviewed 2 April 2013

This place is a dump. Totally filthy. Disgusting. Rotted wood above the air conditioner. You can see daylight around 3 sides of the door. No alarm clock. No phone. Phone was there but 2 tiny wires hanging out of the wall that were broken. Sink and tub wouldn't drain. Too many other problems to keep going.
Stay away from this dump.
I wouldn't let me neighbors dog stay at this dive.

Room Tip: They are all bad. Stay in your car it would be a lot better.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Lori M
Reviewed 17 February 2013

Other than Travel Lodge, this was the cheapest hotel I could find. Rooms were clean, I liked that there was laminate flooring instead of stained carpeting. Very simple room, but it was fine. Biggest problem I had was the location. Seems in the middle of nowhere. If I were to visit Morgantown again, I wouldn't have a problem staying there again.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank goodmom44
Reviewed 21 January 2013

The rates are cheap here for a reason. Although our room seemed relatively clean, it is not the best place to stay. It seems mostly geared to out-of-state gas and oil workers. The floor is not carpeted and the chair was not upholstered-more like an office chair or something. The breakfast is actually decent, although the trash can in the breakfast room looked more like it belonged in a factory. The liner inside the can looked like it had been used for a hundred times without changing it. However, it was more like dust or grime than foodstuff so I am not sure the deal on that.
The worst thing was the complimentary body lotion in the toilet room. I have never really smelled anything like that. It was unusable.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 January 2013

I value Tripadvisor reviews. Unfortunately, I didn't have time to check Tripavisor. I was looking for a hotel at 11:00 PM. I don't have high standards when I stay at an economy hotel. Only want clean. Threadbare sheets, towels - I get what I pay for. This place was disgusting. I tried to make the best of it because I was tired. I thought I could ignore the shoddy furniture, the bathroom ceiling fan falling out, holes in the bathroom door, holes in the bedspread. But when it got to the bed I was getting grossed out. The pillows were stained with slobber and who knows what else .Still, I can find ways to make due, so I decided to put a towel around one because they didn't smell funky. However, I could not ignore a stain surrounded by smaller stains on the bottom sheet. The sheets were so dingy that I didn't know if they were clean or not. The pillow cases smelled funky- so who knows. By that time I wanted out of there.

I would imagine there are some folks out there who had a good experience at this hotel. I didn't.

Room Tip: only tip is stay away
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Dawn M
Reviewed 27 December 2012 via mobile

All the bad reviews for this hotel are true. I should have read them before booking. My bad! The breakfast was actually Ok the attendant was pleasant and helpful. However, I wouldn't stay here for the breakfast.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed 16 December 2012

When you check out of a hotel, some places will ask you how your stay was. Ostensibly, that's because they are relatively confident things were satisfactory.

This place just politely asks you if you would like a receipt and wishes you a nice day. I think that's because they know the facility is seriously flawed. The employees cannot change most of it. The ownership needs to.

It's obvious now that the first mistake I made was not checking TripAdvisor for previous reviews of this place. Ones associated with the site where I booked the room were obviously outdated or biased. But, I was in a rush to make a last-minute arrangement for a one-night stay just for myself.

First of all, it seems more like this place should be called a motel rather than a hotel. Rooms all have outdoor entrances to the parking lot, not hallways to elevators down to a lobby. There's nothing wrong with a motel as long as you are telling people that's what they are paying for and what they are getting.

But the problems here go much deeper than just what's in the name.

To put this simply, my experience closely resembles the other description I just read when I sat down to write this.

I arrived very late at night. The room was cold and dark. It had laminate flooring rather than carpeting. That might be better considering the cleanliness issues. It took me a while to find how to describe the smell of the room. If you have ever smelled the inside of an unplugged refrigerator, that's what it was like.

I had to hunt around in the dark to find a switch for one of the lamps on the wall. Even with all of the lights turned on, the room was still pretty dimly lit. It's probably better that way. The linens on the bed looked pretty questionable, even in the dim light. I wore my clothes to bed as a precaution.

The bathroom wasn't actually horrible. However, there wasn't any soap. No problems with the shower in the morning except for water getting out from under the curtain and all over the floor.

There was a problem with the alarm clock. You could turn it down or put it on snooze, but it would not shut off. That might explain why it was blinking when I arrived. Maybe it had been unplugged.

The coffee maker needed washed. The coffee itself was fine. But there were only two packets of sugar and two old, hardened packets of powdered creamer for eight cups of coffee. Came up short like everything else.

Free breakfast was available in the building where the front desk is. Freshly made waffles were a nice option and unique, but they are harder to eat with styrofoam plates and plastic knives and forks.

In summary, while the location was convenient and the price was pretty good on short notice, this was a very bad experience. And it was not a hotel.

I think the place is surviving from the weekly rates it is offering. The rooms do resemble efficiency studio apartments with their dorm fridges and microwaves. The parking lot was full of energy company trucks with Oklahoma and Texas license plates for gas drilling operations.

If the place were clean and odor free with fresh linens, maybe it would be acceptable for a lower rate. But as it is, I would not recommend it at any price except maybe as a last resort.

If Gordon Ramsey reviewed hotels, I think he would say something like this: The only conclusion one can draw is that owners don't care about offering people a clean, decent place to stay. It doesn't have to be fancy. But if you are taking people's money, you should provide something of value to be proud of. Such a shame.

Room Tip: Choose elsewhere.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo