“GOOD GAWD”

Ranked #22 of 25 Hotels in Morgantown
Ontario, Canada
“GOOD GAWD”
Reviewed 6 July 2014

I also booked this place online and prepaid for two nights in early June. I choose a room with a kitchen because this is usually a slightly bigger room. When my daughter and I arrived, we were given a room on the ground floor in a building away from the main one. There were burly shirtless men flanking the door to our room and where they parked their massive trucks made it impossible to park near the room. Already, it did not seem appropriate but nevertheless, we went to see the room and left our luggage in the car. The window of the room had handprints on the inside as if the prior guests had been clawing for a way out. The “ kitchen” appeared to be a hot plate on the dresser. I did open the mini fridge gingerly and was relieved it was empty. My overall impression was the room was perhaps cleared of large debris but I was left thinking it had not been properly cleaned for some time. There was a worn, dusty office chair in between the two beds for no apparent reason. The surfaces we touched were sticky. I was tempted to look under the covers of the bed but decided against it. The carpet was stained and worn. We never did unload our luggage. We left and found another place to stay. When I went back to give my key card to the front desk, I said we had made other arrangements and acknowledged we would be on the hook for tonight but requested the second night be cancelled and our money refunded. “ No problem” was the response. We were charged for two nights. I would pursue the matter but I actually feel it was a small price to pay for my health

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank pdekeser
GMHotelM, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Morgantown and Conference Center, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
I'm glad you found our location to be convenient, though your impression of our services, accommodation, and hospitality is quite distressing. We do appreciate that you've taken the time to bring the matter to our attention. This issue is being addressed with our staff and management. Your voice is very valuable to us and we hope you will return to experience the improvements that we are continuously making to improve upon the guest experience with every stay. Thank you for your comments. We hope to see you again and to impress you with our improvements.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Hebrew first
Creston wv
Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

We booked this "hotel" based on our price range. It was just a impromptu trip/ one night get away. We booked thru booking.com to get a really good deal. When we came to check in they somehow didn't have us in the system. We still got the price we should have thankfully. Now granted we paid 70.00 I expected it to be a bit more well kept and clean. They wanted 110. Over the phone. The floors were nice looking hardwood and they had new dressers and stands. The rest of the room looked old and run down. They maybe ran out of money to finish off with new beds, curtain and fresh paint? The toilet rocked when you sat on it, very scary. The accent wall is a eye burning green color. Where I parked my car didn't nearly seem safe. The toilet seat looks rough, I honestly put toilet paper down to use it! The bed makes a horrible screech when you set on it. I checked for bed bugs thank heavens there are none. But I also found the mattress was well worn. Eww.... The window had duct tape as well. Why I have no freaking idea.... I wish we could get our money back. There are plenty other hotels in this area. Choose one of those pay more!! I really wish I would have looked at the other reviews before we got here....

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Amber R
I regret to discover that you weren't thoroughly impressed with our accommodations and services during your most recent stay. It is our ultimate goal to give each guest the best value and most comfortable and convenient experience at the most affordable rate. For this reason, our rates are competitive within the area. We value your opinion and suggestions for improvement as these comments help us to improve upon the guest experience at our hotel. It is our primary aim to give you a five star experience and it is disheartening to hear that this is not the impression we left you with. I do apologize for the inconvenience that this caused you. I hope you will return to give us the opportunity to change your perception

Travellers are raving about these Morgantown hotels

Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 25 June 2014

I honestly don't know where to start. I guess I'll begin with the fact that the pictures on the website do NOT mirror what the place actually looks like. I read another reviewer refer to it as a MOTEL, and they were exactly correct. There is a level of cleanliness that some, I guess, are not accustomed to. The room wasn't filthy, but the bathroom had a toilet seat that looked like it had been through a war. You had to jiggle the handle for it to stop running. There was one bar of soap and a used, half empty small bottle of lotion. The tub, while having good water pressure, didn't drain, so you are standing in water the entire shower. The washcloths and towels felt more like loofahs. Four of us were sharing the room, but only enough towel/washcloths were provided. When we stopped at the front desk, we were told that there weren't any clean ones, but housekeeping would have some in about 30 minutes and we would have to come back down then because housekeeping didn't like bringing them to the room???? Can you believe that?! Then in the morning breakfast was to begin at 6am. At 7:10 we arrived and were flatly told that breakfast would be ready in about 10 minutes. No explanation was given until I said that I thought it was supposed to start at 6am. I was told that the person that does it, didn't show up and the manager had just arrived. After waiting, we were served pre-wrapped Honey Buns and muffins, prepackaged fruit cups and yogurt. Then about 5 minutes later out came the microwaved sausage patties and eggs. The manager, I suppose, just sat there texting and barely said goodbye as we walked by him to leave. Next, to the lobby bathrooms: My son came out of the men's room and said that it was very dirty and the soap dispenser didn't work. I then went in to use the women's bathroom and experienced the same thing: no working soap dispenser and a filthy bar of hotel soap laying in the sink. I initially was looking for the manager in the dining room to make him aware of this, but he was no longer there. So I told the front desk girl that someone would need to address both bathrooms, she just sat there like I had two heads. She was very rude and indifferent to all that happened that morning. When I told her that I didn't appreciate her rude manner and expected to have at least mediocre customer service, she huffed and told me that she hadn't spoken to me in that manner. I would rather sleep in my car than ever step foot in this place again. If you had a great experience, good for you. I am not a hotel snob that expects the Ritz for $90/night, but I do expect to be treated as if they are thankful I chose their establishment and are actively working to make my family and I welcome. This is also the first negative review I've ever written for a company... and I hope the last.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Kelly B
GMHotelM, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Morgantown and Conference Center, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
We are sorry to hear that we were not able to provide you the accommodation and comfort level which met your requirements. You can be assured that we will give the feedback you provided due attention, as we put utmost importance on guest satisfaction.

Your comments regarding your room and lobby toilets will be communicated with the head of our housekeeping department in order for measures to be instituted that would guarantee that our facility is impeccably clean at all times.

We apologize we were unable to serve breakfast at exactly 6 in the morning due to some unforeseen issues and we were unable to meet your expectations. We will work on improving our breakfast menu and the quality of our food in order to meet your requirements and to provide our guests with a better eating experience.

We are sorry to hear that you were not pleased with the attitude of one of our staff. We will look into matter, as we do not tolerate rudeness.

It is our hope that you will consider staying with us again so that we may be given a chance to provide you with a superior experience.
Morgantown, West Virginia
Reviewed 17 June 2014

This is the NASTIEST place I have ever stayed!!!! The pics they show on line is NOTHING like what they offer. We had to be moved from the first room cause it was so dirty. The next room was not much better, dust all over the furniture, baseboards were covered in dirt and dust, cobwebs all over the ceiling, wall were filthy, looked like it had not been washed or painted in YEARS!!! Several lights did not work , fan in the bathroom did not work. Outside of the building was not any better. Sidewalks were all busted up, the steps shook when you walked up them, garbage all over the grounds. We watched as they cut grass and ran over the garbage on the ground, letting it fly all over and made no attempt to even clean it up. Breakfast was terrible, you could see through the coffee and the food looked so gross we didn't even try it. I would not recommend anyone to stay in this PIG STY!!!!!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Brenda H
GMHotelM, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Morgantown and Conference Center, responded to this review, 22 June 2014
We are sorry to hear that we failed to provide you with the accommodation and comfort level that met your expectations. We want to assure you that we value your feedback and we shall use it to help us correct our deficiencies and further improve our services.

We truly regret that your experience was not a reflection of our room standards which put strong emphasis on cleanliness and comfort. Have no doubt that we will have our housekeeping department address the issues you raised, as guest satisfaction is of utmost importance. We understand full well that it cannot be attained unless ease and comfort are part of our hotel experience.

As for your comment regarding the breakfast we offer, we will work on improving the quality of the food we offer to provide a better eating experience for all our guests.

It is our hope that you will consider staying with us again so that we may be given a chance to change your perception of us and demonstrate that we can provide you with a superior experience.
Hershey, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 1 June 2014

I have to visit town because the WVU and I google it up. It have so many bad review and I was paying only $ 66 for my room. I will not complain in i am paying only 66,]. but If I am paying over 250 a night and I have this kind of room than I will not even look at this place. so everything was good enough.

bed was comfy, 42 inch lcd, great hot breakfast, nice and friendly staff, what else do one need,

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank travel h
GMHotelM, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Morgantown and Conference Center, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
It is so nice to hear that you had a wonderful stay at our hotel. We thank you for commending our staff for taking excellent care of you. We are extremely proud of each and every one of them and their dedication to providing the best of services to our guests. Likewise, you have our thanks for mentioning that you slept in a room with a comfortable bed and a 42 inch television, and enjoyed a well prepared breakfast.

It was great to have you with us. We hope that you will come back and see us again soon!
Beech Bottom
Reviewed 7 May 2014 via mobile

DO NOT BOOK ONLINE! I booked online two separate nights and the money was already removed from my account. Additionally they have three reservations for me not just one. Close to $200 was removed fr my account and no one can find my reservation to cancel it. Not the website, the call center, or the front desk Attendant. The front desk attendant did try and will call me back but he is not finding anything. I will be canceling my room all together and staying elsewhere.

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
GMHotelM, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Morgantown and Conference Center, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
We sincerely apologize for your unpleasant experience in booking a room through a website we are affiliated with. We would like to emphasize that this does not commonly happen. We have sought their assistance in locating your two other reservations in order to have them cancelled, and the excess payment returned. We hope to hear back from them soon, and give you great news.
Monticello, Kentucky
Reviewed 27 April 2014

This is by far the nastiest place I have ever stayed! I had what they called a "suite". the bathroom had pubic hair on the back of the commode, blood on the commode lid, the bathtub in the little bathroom hadn't been cleaned, the floor was atrocious, Jacuzzi was nasty hadn't been cleaned, thank goodness I had my own pillow and blanket. wifi wouldn't stay on. the floor by the bed had not been cleaned I had to pull the night stand out a little to plug up something and I am apparently the only one who has done that, My feet was black from walking across the floor. Since it was the weekend rates almost doubled ( person at the counter remarked the prices were increased for the week) I have pictures to back up my review

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank jars1994
We sincerely apologize for failing to meet your expectations. You have our assurance that all of your comments will be addressed, as your voice is of utmost importance to us.

We truly regret that your experience was not a reflection of our room standards. Your comments will be passed on to the head of our housekeeping department for proper corrective actions to be implemented. As guest satisfaction is of paramount importance to us, sanitation is a top priority.

We hope that you will consider staying with us again so that we may be given a chance to provide you with a superior experience.