“Believe the poor reviews” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Morgantown and Conference Center

Hotel Morgantown and Conference Center
Ranked #22 of 24 Hotels in Morgantown
Myersville, Maryland
“Believe the poor reviews”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

I was cautious about booking at Hotel M and Conf Center because of the poor reviews. However, my husband and I are not terribly critical people, and the price was good, so I went ahead and booked. Bad decision! Here is what we reported to the front desk. (They agreed to not charge us for the two nights that we had planned to stay and we went to Fairfield Inn instead.) Room issues: room had unpleasant odor; wooden floor was filthy; bottom of the tub was stained; a hole in the bathroom door; cobweb above main door; thick dust on base of floor lamp; a missing outlet cover where lamp plugged in, water stains on ceiling of room and bathroom; sheets and cover were stained - gross; and when we pulled out the filter holder on the coffee maker, it still had coffee liquid in it - enough that I could pour it out into the sink. We considered trying to tough it out there but decided we'd rather spend $75 more at the Marriott (over our two day stay) Comfort, a sense of safety and the ability to walk barefoot from the bed to the bathroom were worth the extra expense. DON'T BOOK AT THIS HOTEL!

Room Tip: Choose a room at a DIFFERENT hotel
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
      Rooms
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
GMHotelM, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Morgantown and Conference Center, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
We are very sorry to hear that you experienced such unusual circumstances and inconveniences during your most recent stay with us, especially that we were not able to address the issues and misunderstandings right away. We will forward your concerns regarding the room issues to our staff and see to it that necessary actions will be done. We hope that you will be more satisfied on your next stay should you decide to stay with us again in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Hebrew first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

We usually look for hotels online but just happened to find Hotel M while driving by. Online sites were saying there was nothing available under about $200 in the area. We just needed a place to sleep and this was less than half of that price. The staff was friendly and helpful and the building wasn't new but was fairly well maintained. We had no problems with the room. Everything was in working order. The breakfast was better than we expected for the price and they had two waffle makers so the kids were happy. This is the type of hotel that you would not make a destination but if you need a cheap place to stay it might meet your needs.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
We are very pleased to hear that you had a pleasant experience following your most recent visit with us. Thank you for commending our staff, facilities, meals, and rates. We continually do our best in providing you with the best in customer service. We hope you will visit us again the next time you are in town.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

The room was okay but not as clean as it could have been. It was difficult to maneuver around in the parking lot to get to room - too many rooms for the parking available. They had a fair breakfast bar - the sausage and eggs made it above a continental breakfast.

Room Tip: If you are looking for a bargain motel, this is an option - just remember 'you get what you pay...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
GMHotelM, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Morgantown and Conference Center, responded to this review, 26 July 2014
We are constantly looking for ways to enhance the positive experiences of our guests and your valuable feedback will assist us to correct our deficiencies. We will immediately coordinate your concern regarding the cleanliness of the room to make sure that our guests will have a satisfactory stay. Thank you for giving us the insight into how we can better serve our guests in the future.

Travellers are raving about these Morgantown hotels

Ontario, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

I also booked this place online and prepaid for two nights in early June. I choose a room with a kitchen because this is usually a slightly bigger room. When my daughter and I arrived, we were given a room on the ground floor in a building away from the main one. There were burly shirtless men flanking the door to our room and where they parked their massive trucks made it impossible to park near the room. Already, it did not seem appropriate but nevertheless, we went to see the room and left our luggage in the car. The window of the room had handprints on the inside as if the prior guests had been clawing for a way out. The “ kitchen” appeared to be a hot plate on the dresser. I did open the mini fridge gingerly and was relieved it was empty. My overall impression was the room was perhaps cleared of large debris but I was left thinking it had not been properly cleaned for some time. There was a worn, dusty office chair in between the two beds for no apparent reason. The surfaces we touched were sticky. I was tempted to look under the covers of the bed but decided against it. The carpet was stained and worn. We never did unload our luggage. We left and found another place to stay. When I went back to give my key card to the front desk, I said we had made other arrangements and acknowledged we would be on the hook for tonight but requested the second night be cancelled and our money refunded. “ No problem” was the response. We were charged for two nights. I would pursue the matter but I actually feel it was a small price to pay for my health

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank pdekeser
GMHotelM, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Morgantown and Conference Center, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
I'm glad you found our location to be convenient, though your impression of our services, accommodation, and hospitality is quite distressing. We do appreciate that you've taken the time to bring the matter to our attention. This issue is being addressed with our staff and management. Your voice is very valuable to us and we hope you will return to experience the improvements that we are continuously making to improve upon the guest experience with every stay. Thank you for your comments. We hope to see you again and to impress you with our improvements.
Creston wv
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

We booked this "hotel" based on our price range. It was just a impromptu trip/ one night get away. We booked thru booking.com to get a really good deal. When we came to check in they somehow didn't have us in the system. We still got the price we should have thankfully. Now granted we paid 70.00 I expected it to be a bit more well kept and clean. They wanted 110. Over the phone. The floors were nice looking hardwood and they had new dressers and stands. The rest of the room looked old and run down. They maybe ran out of money to finish off with new beds, curtain and fresh paint? The toilet rocked when you sat on it, very scary. The accent wall is a eye burning green color. Where I parked my car didn't nearly seem safe. The toilet seat looks rough, I honestly put toilet paper down to use it! The bed makes a horrible screech when you set on it. I checked for bed bugs thank heavens there are none. But I also found the mattress was well worn. Eww.... The window had duct tape as well. Why I have no freaking idea.... I wish we could get our money back. There are plenty other hotels in this area. Choose one of those pay more!! I really wish I would have looked at the other reviews before we got here....

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Amber R
I regret to discover that you weren't thoroughly impressed with our accommodations and services during your most recent stay. It is our ultimate goal to give each guest the best value and most comfortable and convenient experience at the most affordable rate. For this reason, our rates are competitive within the area. We value your opinion and suggestions for improvement as these comments help us to improve upon the guest experience at our hotel. It is our primary aim to give you a five star experience and it is disheartening to hear that this is not the impression we left you with. I do apologize for the inconvenience that this caused you. I hope you will return to give us the opportunity to change your perception
Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

I honestly don't know where to start. I guess I'll begin with the fact that the pictures on the website do NOT mirror what the place actually looks like. I read another reviewer refer to it as a MOTEL, and they were exactly correct. There is a level of cleanliness that some, I guess, are not accustomed to. The room wasn't filthy, but the bathroom had a toilet seat that looked like it had been through a war. You had to jiggle the handle for it to stop running. There was one bar of soap and a used, half empty small bottle of lotion. The tub, while having good water pressure, didn't drain, so you are standing in water the entire shower. The washcloths and towels felt more like loofahs. Four of us were sharing the room, but only enough towel/washcloths were provided. When we stopped at the front desk, we were told that there weren't any clean ones, but housekeeping would have some in about 30 minutes and we would have to come back down then because housekeeping didn't like bringing them to the room???? Can you believe that?! Then in the morning breakfast was to begin at 6am. At 7:10 we arrived and were flatly told that breakfast would be ready in about 10 minutes. No explanation was given until I said that I thought it was supposed to start at 6am. I was told that the person that does it, didn't show up and the manager had just arrived. After waiting, we were served pre-wrapped Honey Buns and muffins, prepackaged fruit cups and yogurt. Then about 5 minutes later out came the microwaved sausage patties and eggs. The manager, I suppose, just sat there texting and barely said goodbye as we walked by him to leave. Next, to the lobby bathrooms: My son came out of the men's room and said that it was very dirty and the soap dispenser didn't work. I then went in to use the women's bathroom and experienced the same thing: no working soap dispenser and a filthy bar of hotel soap laying in the sink. I initially was looking for the manager in the dining room to make him aware of this, but he was no longer there. So I told the front desk girl that someone would need to address both bathrooms, she just sat there like I had two heads. She was very rude and indifferent to all that happened that morning. When I told her that I didn't appreciate her rude manner and expected to have at least mediocre customer service, she huffed and told me that she hadn't spoken to me in that manner. I would rather sleep in my car than ever step foot in this place again. If you had a great experience, good for you. I am not a hotel snob that expects the Ritz for $90/night, but I do expect to be treated as if they are thankful I chose their establishment and are actively working to make my family and I welcome. This is also the first negative review I've ever written for a company... and I hope the last.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
2 Thank Kelly B
GMHotelM, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Morgantown and Conference Center, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
We are sorry to hear that we were not able to provide you the accommodation and comfort level which met your requirements. You can be assured that we will give the feedback you provided due attention, as we put utmost importance on guest satisfaction.

Your comments regarding your room and lobby toilets will be communicated with the head of our housekeeping department in order for measures to be instituted that would guarantee that our facility is impeccably clean at all times.

We apologize we were unable to serve breakfast at exactly 6 in the morning due to some unforeseen issues and we were unable to meet your expectations. We will work on improving our breakfast menu and the quality of our food in order to meet your requirements and to provide our guests with a better eating experience.

We are sorry to hear that you were not pleased with the attitude of one of our staff. We will look into matter, as we do not tolerate rudeness.

It is our hope that you will consider staying with us again so that we may be given a chance to provide you with a superior experience.
Morgantown, West Virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

This is the NASTIEST place I have ever stayed!!!! The pics they show on line is NOTHING like what they offer. We had to be moved from the first room cause it was so dirty. The next room was not much better, dust all over the furniture, baseboards were covered in dirt and dust, cobwebs all over the ceiling, wall were filthy, looked like it had not been washed or painted in YEARS!!! Several lights did not work , fan in the bathroom did not work. Outside of the building was not any better. Sidewalks were all busted up, the steps shook when you walked up them, garbage all over the grounds. We watched as they cut grass and ran over the garbage on the ground, letting it fly all over and made no attempt to even clean it up. Breakfast was terrible, you could see through the coffee and the food looked so gross we didn't even try it. I would not recommend anyone to stay in this PIG STY!!!!!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Brenda H
GMHotelM, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Morgantown and Conference Center, responded to this review, 22 June 2014
We are sorry to hear that we failed to provide you with the accommodation and comfort level that met your expectations. We want to assure you that we value your feedback and we shall use it to help us correct our deficiencies and further improve our services.

We truly regret that your experience was not a reflection of our room standards which put strong emphasis on cleanliness and comfort. Have no doubt that we will have our housekeeping department address the issues you raised, as guest satisfaction is of utmost importance. We understand full well that it cannot be attained unless ease and comfort are part of our hotel experience.

As for your comment regarding the breakfast we offer, we will work on improving the quality of the food we offer to provide a better eating experience for all our guests.

It is our hope that you will consider staying with us again so that we may be given a chance to change your perception of us and demonstrate that we can provide you with a superior experience.