“Good hotel and handy for the University”

Morgantown Marriott at Waterfront Place
Ranked #3 of 25 Hotels in Morgantown
Reviewed 13 May 2008

We stayed here as my husband was giving a paper at a conference at the University is this hotel is the one they use for visitors. It’s a fairly new hotel next to the river and an easy walk along the river into town. The rooms were clean and spacious, although none of the windows in the rooms open which felt a little claustrophobic and also annoying as the air-con could be quite loud. The pool and gym were great and normally very quite and all of the rooms have free internet access. The reception staff could be a bit hit and miss, but we got all of the help and information we needed, although they didn’t let us know that we’d be charged for parking when we checked our hire car in. The bell hops were really helpful and took us up to the University and to the airport for free. The hotel restaurant was pretty good and the waiting staff were really helpful (even getting a fridge put into our room so that we could keep our leftovers cold and giving recommendations for our trip to Pittsburgh!). The only strange thing was how much we got charged for breakfast, which seemed to vary from day to day – some days we got charged for hot water and juice, other days not. We just increased the tip according to how much we hadn’t been charged for! The food was good though and the bar well-stocked. Morgantown doesn’t have a huge number of restaurants, but we would recommend both the Boathouse and Oliviero’s just long the footpath next to the river. Both do good food (make sure you have desert at Oliviero’s!). Staff at the Enterprise hire car in Morgantown were incredibly helpful. It’s probably the best hotel in Morgantown and a reasonable price for that.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled on business

Reviewed 1 March 2008

My family and I checked into the Waterfront for a weeked to come and see a basketball game and to visit the WVU campus.
The staff at the front desk were always very friendly and made our check-in and check-out process very speedy. Our room was clean and fresh, the bathroom was spacious and clean as well.
The location of the hotel is pretty good, as it is located on campus and it just a few minutes away from the Coliseum.
Dining at the hotel is alright. I don't recommend the Sunday Brunch at the Regatta Bar and Grille, it is very pricy for such a limited selection. I would suggest ordering off the menu, you get a better deal. Although the service at the restaurant is friendly, it's slow - our drinks did not come until we were almost finished eating! Overall, it was a pleasant stay and I would recommend it to anyone staying in Morgantown.

• Stayed: February 2008
Reviewed 21 October 2007

The property was in a very nice location but the hotel appeared understaffed and lacking any real supervision.

It took us an exceptionally long time to check in while only being the second person in line. We called down to the desk on two separate occassions for assistance both times the operator seemed hurried and annoyed about the interuption.

This was the 3rd time I stayed at this hotel and think I might try the Spring Hill Suites during my next visit.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled solo
1  Thank mountaineerfan74
WaterfrontGM, General Manager at Morgantown Marriott at Waterfront Place, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2008

Although we did have some challenges with staffing levels at that time, I am confident that we made dramatic improvements in this area. We made some changes in our management team at the beginning of this year which have made a tremendous difference in our overall customer service and quality of product. There are always going to be challenges in this business but the way in which we are handling those challenges now vs. how they were handled in the past is the key to how we feel we are providing a much improved customer service level. We appreciate your feedback as it is what helps us get better at what we do.

Reviewed 2 October 2007

My overall impression is that this is a nice place, with a nice work-out facility and a nice location, but my overall impression is that they try to maximize every penny at the expense of customer service - how?

1. If you don't cancel more than 24 hours out, you have to pay for the room. I travel for business and besides Las Vegas, I have never heard of this cancellation policy.

2. I had a letter from my client indicating the dates I was staying and that I should get the client negotiated room rate. When I stayed there again (with the dates that were on the letter), they couldn't find the letter (didn't seem like they even looked) and told me that I had to get another letter to get the correct (cheaper) room rate. Even though they could look in the system and see I had this room rate of two previous stays. I've never had a hotel request this information multiple times in nearly 1000 room nights I've stayed.

3. They charged me the $6 for parking when I told them I didn't need parking.

Because of my perception of their attitude, I don't plan to stay there again and don't recommend to anyone else, either.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled on business
1  Thank lordcambridge
Reviewed 2 September 2007

We needed a hotel at the last minute in Morgantown and, alas, it was during a home WVU game and everything was booked solid. We chose the Waterfront simply because they had a room available for us, although the rate was a lot steeper than we normally pay. (Granted, our last minute booking meant the only room available was one of their large, corner rooms with a king; that alone will boost up the rate.) While the expensive rates make me hesitate to fully recommend this hotel, I will say that our room was spotlessly clean, the bed was very comfortable (so much so that we slept until 10 AM), and the staff there was unfailingly polite. You undoubtedly can find better bargains in Motown, but this hotel does provide a clean, safe, comfortable environment for their guests.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ekatkos
Reviewed 7 August 2007

My husband and I stayed with this hotel (while it was still a Raddisson) during our daughter's illness and then through his. I would estimate that over a 3 year period, we were guests for at least 9 months. We were always extremely pleased with the service we received during our stays. My husband passed away in June and my daughter and I decided to spend a few days at the Waterfront Hotel before she starts back to school.
I have never been so disappointed in a hotel as I have been during these two days. The hotel is seriously understaffed for a hotel this size and for the room rates and food rates that are being charged. I payed for the valet parking and my car set outside from the time we checked in at noon on Monday until the next morning. During this period my daughter realized she had left her cel phone in the car and went down to get it. When she asked for the keys to the orange Cadillac, they were handed to her even though she did not give them the valet ticket. And when she came back in, the valet was missing again and she had no one to give the keys back to except the front desk. The point is, without asking for her ticket that confirmed she had a right to those keys, they were handed to her. She could have been anyone and asked for the keys to a car parked in front of the hotel and driven off with my car.
When we ordered room service that night, the young man was sent up to the room with only a portion of our order. He had to make a return trip with our bread and my daughter's desert. I had also asked for a pot of coffe which was delivered in a water pitcher with no lid, so the coffee did not stay hot long enough to drink it.
While I will return to the Waterfront Spa, I will never waste my money on another night at this hotel again. Not unless the service returns to what it was for the prices you are charging.

Mrs. Roy H. Jones

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with family
5  Thank worldweary56
Reviewed 22 May 2007

This is a very nice and clean hotel well situated just on the edge of
the historic downtown area. Our corner room had a great view of downtown. The bed was comfortable and the room was spaceous and well laid out.

For some reason, our room wasn't serviced after the first night. We didn't return to the hotel until after 7 PM, so we didn't bother trying to contact the front desk to inquire why.

Our room price didn't include breakfast. Beware of the cost of breakfast in the dining room. The so-so buffet costs $13. If you order ala carte, it's just as expensive. Coffee is $4. Bagel and cream cheese is $4. Two eggs, bacon, toast and coffee runs $12. You might consider somewhere else for breakfast as it really wasn't that good and definately not worth the price.

Self parking costs $6 per day. Valet, with unlimited in and out, runs $8 per day. The attendants were very prompt at retrieving our vehicle.

All in all, this is a nice hotel and probably the nicest in Morgantown. The hidden costs, however, make it not the best value. Our king room cost was $108 per night. With parking and breakfast for two, the nightly cost was $142 plus taxes and tips. If you want a river view, it's $15 per night more. I think that's a bit expensive for Morgantown, WV.

• Stayed: May 2007