“Not what it used to be”

Morgantown Marriott at Waterfront Place
Ranked #3 of 24 Hotels in Morgantown
Reviewed 7 August 2007

My husband and I stayed with this hotel (while it was still a Raddisson) during our daughter's illness and then through his. I would estimate that over a 3 year period, we were guests for at least 9 months. We were always extremely pleased with the service we received during our stays. My husband passed away in June and my daughter and I decided to spend a few days at the Waterfront Hotel before she starts back to school.
I have never been so disappointed in a hotel as I have been during these two days. The hotel is seriously understaffed for a hotel this size and for the room rates and food rates that are being charged. I payed for the valet parking and my car set outside from the time we checked in at noon on Monday until the next morning. During this period my daughter realized she had left her cel phone in the car and went down to get it. When she asked for the keys to the orange Cadillac, they were handed to her even though she did not give them the valet ticket. And when she came back in, the valet was missing again and she had no one to give the keys back to except the front desk. The point is, without asking for her ticket that confirmed she had a right to those keys, they were handed to her. She could have been anyone and asked for the keys to a car parked in front of the hotel and driven off with my car.
When we ordered room service that night, the young man was sent up to the room with only a portion of our order. He had to make a return trip with our bread and my daughter's desert. I had also asked for a pot of coffe which was delivered in a water pitcher with no lid, so the coffee did not stay hot long enough to drink it.
While I will return to the Waterfront Spa, I will never waste my money on another night at this hotel again. Not unless the service returns to what it was for the prices you are charging.

Mrs. Roy H. Jones

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with family
5  Thank worldweary56

Reviewed 22 May 2007

This is a very nice and clean hotel well situated just on the edge of
the historic downtown area. Our corner room had a great view of downtown. The bed was comfortable and the room was spaceous and well laid out.

For some reason, our room wasn't serviced after the first night. We didn't return to the hotel until after 7 PM, so we didn't bother trying to contact the front desk to inquire why.

Our room price didn't include breakfast. Beware of the cost of breakfast in the dining room. The so-so buffet costs $13. If you order ala carte, it's just as expensive. Coffee is $4. Bagel and cream cheese is $4. Two eggs, bacon, toast and coffee runs $12. You might consider somewhere else for breakfast as it really wasn't that good and definately not worth the price.

Self parking costs $6 per day. Valet, with unlimited in and out, runs $8 per day. The attendants were very prompt at retrieving our vehicle.

All in all, this is a nice hotel and probably the nicest in Morgantown. The hidden costs, however, make it not the best value. Our king room cost was $108 per night. With parking and breakfast for two, the nightly cost was $142 plus taxes and tips. If you want a river view, it's $15 per night more. I think that's a bit expensive for Morgantown, WV.

• Stayed: May 2007
1  Thank Peabody1117
Reviewed 3 May 2007

This was my second stay at this hotel. In town for a conference April 29-May 2 (same dates as my stay in 2006). Previously the Radisson, the Waterfront Palce Hotel is a very comfortable, upscale hotel, convenient to downtown/WVU. Rooms are very spacious. During this stay I was on the 6th floor. King bed, sofa bed, desk, and entertainment armoire finish out the room. Bed was comfy with plenty of pillows. Room has a real closet which houses the iron/ironing board, real hangers for clothing, and a fold out suitcase stand. Room and bed linens appeared to be clean. I would recommend the addition of a coffee table near the sofa.

Bathroom is huge with ample counterspace. In-room coffee maker is located in the bathroom. Sink was a bit slow to drain but bathroom was clean (minus a few small spots of mold in shower), with enough towels for my stay. Travel size shampoo/conditioner and soap provided.

Free internet service is available in-room as well as a limited but adequate selection of cable channels including HBO. Several lamps placed throughout the room as well as a clock-radio.

Property offers an indoor pool/whirlpool. Used the pool once during my stay. Pool appeared to be clean and well maintained. Some of the ceiling tiles in that space were missing however. Towels are available poolside. Did not use the fitness center.

A complimentary coffee station was available in the lobby each morning. Staff members I encountered were friendly and helpful.

A small sundry shop is located next to the front desk for purchasing sodas/snacks and travel sized items such as over the counter medicines and other personal care products.

Hotel offers easy access to the Rail/trail for biking/walking. 15 minute walk to downtown though the hotel does offer a free shuttle on request. For a Sunday evening the downtown was buzzing with people and several restaurants were open.

Parking is behind the adjacent building, a short walk from the hotel entryway. Valet parking ($8/day) was available but I used the self-park option $6/day.

Stayed: May 2007
1  Thank PeaceLoveBoba
Reviewed 2 March 2007

As a sports official, this is where the university always puts me up, and I've never had even the slightest problem. The rooms are clean and modern, and the staff has always been very nice. The indoor pool is a nice place to have a little fun in the middle of winter!

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 January 2007

For our anniversary, I booked a non-smoking room for me and my wife. I booked it in advance. After we checked in, we decided to look at the room before going to dinner. As we reached the fourth floor, the smell of smoke was overpowering in the hallway. My wife made the comment in a kidding way that it was OK as long as our room doesn't smell like this. We were extremely disappointed to find out that when we opened the door to our room that the room smelled as bad as the hallway did. We explained this to the front desk and they said all they had left were rooms with 2 double beds. This would have been OK had I had my children with me or if we were on an ordinary trip but this was to be a special night for our anniversary. We said we would keep the king and they said they could "treat it" while we were out. What choice did we have. Upon our return, the room smelled a bit better as the air was on high. There was a complimentary New Years hat with 2 bottles of water, aspirin, and a few products to help one after a rough night. This would have been a nice gesture but we were not there to get drunk. It was also strange to find an ashtray and matches in a non-smoking room. The next evening at our home my wife put on a sweater that she had in the motel room. She had not worn it but had only laid it on the couch at the motel and it too smelled like smoke. I am glad she did not get near our son because smoke aggrevates his asthma. It is a shame that I went to the trouble of finding what I thought would be a fabulous motel to surprise my wife only to have it be a flop. I am extremely disappointed and wanted you to know this. I would not recommend for anyone to stay there because we booked and were told we would have a non-smoking room only to find out that we did not.

• Stayed: December 2006, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JimmyV2
Reviewed 4 November 2006

We stayed here on spur-of-the-moment while traveling and had a good experience. The staff upgraded us to a corner room with a view of the river -- tell 'em you're new in town. The pool was also nicely uncrowded. The bar service was a bit spotty, but otherwise we were happy with the accomodations.

Stayed: April 2006
Reviewed 26 October 2006

This is a great place to stay (with a few caveats that are things I don't mind but other people might)-

The good- The rooms are huge and well appointed, very nicely set up, clean and nice for business travel.
the not so good- the walls are pretty thin and you can really hear your neighbor.

The good- I found the staff to be very friendly and helpful, they are younger college students mostly.
The not so good- valet parking costs 8 dollars and they don't tell you that up front. The issue is that you can't park anywhere to check in unless you put the car in the parking garage a bit further than most folks want to lug their baggage.

Additionaly the food at the restaurants was excellent and the fitness center was well equipped. All in all, I'd make this the place to stay if I come to Morgantown again, and definately do it in October because the leaves and the fall scenery are lovely.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled on business