“Great Venue For Our Event! Puuuurfect” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Chestnut Boutique Hotel

The Chestnut Boutique Hotel
Ranked #9 of 24 Hotels in Morgantown
Morgantown, West Virginia
“Great Venue For Our Event! Puuuurfect”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

We did a 200 people party a couple of weeks ago at the Hotel's rooftop bar and my friends and I stayed at the hotel. From event planning to checking out the next day, the Chestnut Hotel's staff has made everything so easy and perfect! The setup for our dinner party was exactly what we had in mind, red, white, black, classy and modern! The event coordinator hooked us up with the food and great drink specials, the price was much lower than the quote I was given by other hotels/event centers. The food was gone quick, but the staff replenished it immediately every time. The DJ they booked for us was also great! The best part is, after a night of dancing and having a good time with my girls, I can just go crush in my room right next door, without even leaving the building! The room has the same atmosphere as the rooftop bar, classy and trendy. What great taste in all the decors! My favorite part is the fur throw on the bed, so cuddly) We overslept the next morning in the comfy beds, and front desk gave us an extra 2 hours check out time with no hassle since it's sunday and our room was not reserved that day. Didn't get to try the free breakfast...as we did not get up until noon... lol

By the way, before our event started, the event coordinator asked us if she could show our event set up to another lady who was interested in doing a wedding at this venue. We have no prob with that at all. It will be a perfect place for an urban wedding! and I heard that they have anniversary room just for newly wed, how awesome!

This edgy hotel broke of definition of what everyone thinks a hotel can or cannot be. You won't see suits and ties everywhere, but you will see beautiful smile and willingness to help everywhere. You won't see grand hotel type of sparkle, but you will see tasteful home-like warming decors from lobby to the room. There's not another hotel in morgantown area that offers anything even close. I will def recommend this place to my friends who are getting married or to any organization who wants to do a fun event!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ChestnutHotel, Director of Sales at The Chestnut Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 16 May 2016
Dear Alyssa S,

Thank you for the wonderful review regarding The Chestnut Boutique Hotel located in the heart of downtown Morgantown, West Virginia. We truly appreciate our guests, and hope to have you back in the future.

Director of Sales & Marketing

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Dundas, Ontario.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

Quirky, intriguing, but also quite unsettling: these were our first impressions, and did not change. Part of what looks like a renewal project in an old industrial area, the hotel's street-side brick presence fits in well. The first shock is the parking garage,its entrance looking like a disused, abandoned factory. I got out of the car right there, but the driver says it was okay inside. There are security guards, and a metal gate descends at midnight. Truly, it would be a great zombie movie location!
The entrance - not really a lobby - is hard to define. Seattle coffee house meets Belle Epoque boudoir, perhaps. There are huge padded velvet chaises longues mixed in with high tables and stools in the food area. The seating later proved totally inadequate for the number of guests hoping for breakfast. Check-in consists of a laid back chat at a desk marooned on one side. Elevator is bright and pleasant, but opened onto strangely ominous hallways, smelling of damp over laden with air freshener. I was reminded of apartment hallways in movies set in the riskier parts of New York. The room was a strange mix of styles: faux alligator headboards (already showing signs of
wear), black wall paper on a feature wall, dark furniture reminiscent of early twentieth century styles, and brown faux fur throws which a card assured us had been cleaned just for us! The sheets were mismatched: one bed had a crisp white top sheet, the other an un-ironed cream fabric which I just had to trust was fresh. Bathroom very ordinary apart from a golden glass washbasin which struck a discordant note. In view of the oddness of the hallway (this was the third floor, view of flat roof and old industrial buildings) I was concerned about fire, and was disturbed to discover there were no Evacuation Procedures posted on the bedroom door, nor anywhere at all.
Breakfast was risible. A disparate group of guests from Canadian seniors (!) to photographers draped in gear, to college-age groups and tourists was milling about finding very little sustenance other than a dripping waffle maker, fruit loops/bran flakes, and the last plastic wrapped bagel. The OJ was being extended by the addition of ice cubes, and the coffee ran out. I had a banana.
So, for adventurous movie fans, and travellers tired of same-old style chains, this may be a choice. It's certainly unique!

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Dear Terramarique,

With every review we hope to gather insight from guests to become the best we can be - Hopefully we have improved and have gained a better identity.

Morgantown, West Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

My husband and I loved this hotel. Of all the hotels we have visited this was one of the best for friendly service the beautiful girl at the desk had a great smile and very helpful with advice about the area shopping and restaurants. The decor and cleanliness was great.

Dear Cathy C,

We are so pleased you and your husband enjoyed the hotel. Hopefully you can stay with us again in the future.

Fairfax, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014

We visited the 341 Live venue to check it out as a possible venue for our wedding this summer. The events planner has been very helpful as the hotels events coordinator and marketing person but it is obvious to me that she is overworked and needs a little more support. Upon arrival, we were checked in by a woman who was wearing a sweatsuit. Thats right, the front desk staff of a "Boutique Hotel" was in a hoodie and sweatpants. She was super friendly and I am not one to generally judge - I love yoga pants, I love sweats, but, I was sitting there, checking in, picturing my wedding day guests checking into a GORGEOUS hotel with hotel staff in sweatpants :(
Then my fiance needed to use the bathroom and they graciously allowed him to use the office staff bathroom, as we had been in the car for 3.5 hours. BAD IDEA. Apparently this office was disgusting. Trash overflowing, etc. An office is an office and many of us probably have offices that leave something to be desired, but, in a boutique hotel where there is NOT A PUBLIC RESTROOM, either keep the office clean, or do not invite guests to use it!?!?
We look around the lobby for the "Twist Bar", which we saw on the Chestnut Hotel's website. It claims to serve "custom Chestnut Hotel label wine" so that the guests can "sample a selection of what the local region has to offer." I was super disappointed, as I LOVE trying new wines and was really looking forward to a cute little bar in the lobby of the hotel. It does not exist.
We go up to our room - its beautiful!! The bed is comfy, the room is clean and perfectly decorated! LOVED IT!
We met with the events planner (she was there setting up for an evening formal event and had planned to meet with us that evening to show us around and discuss the wedding possibilities). The Rock Top Bar & Grill is actually not really a grill. They do not serve food other than while catering events. This was strange because I was hoping to sample some of the food that may be catered at my wedding. The Rooftop area was BEAUTIFUL and PERFECT. Literally it was EXACTLY what we were looking for in a reception venue. The lounge area was also perfect! There has been a lot of thought and money put into this place!! :)
The events planner was extremely friendly, down to earth and kind. She seemed to know what she was talking about and answered all of our questions. She did smell like she had enjoyed a beer or two that day while setting up for the event, but, honestly, I do not blame her with how hard she works. She also dropped a few F bombs, which, ***I*** am comfortable with, but I am sure if she were meeting my mother and grandmother on my wedding day, they may not have appreciated it. In speaking with the events coordinator, we learned that the Big Whiskey Bar/Saloon/Dancehall is "in transition" and does NOT currently serve food, which was a surprise, as there is a CURRENT MENU posted on their website with food that sounds quite yummy. I was looking forward to tasting some of the food that, again, may be cooked by the same kitchen that would be catering our wedding - no such luck. She said they are hoping to get "gourmet hot dogs" in sometime soon...
We popped our head in during the event and everything seemed to be running smoothly, the staff was working hard and the customers seemed happy - BUT - It worried me that we walked right into someone elses event. The events coordinator had promised us that our wedding could be completely private, yet, we were walking into someone elses private event.
We got a fabulous nights sleep - amazing bed!
We woke up and enjoyed some coffee and a pretty barebones continental breakfast - nothing special but not terrible, although the trash was overflowing and no one seemed to be "working" the breakfast area.
We went to check out and the same, friendly woman who had checked us in was there - IN A DIFFERENT SWEATSUIT?!?! I am pretty sure the owner of this gorgeous hotel would NOT appreciate his staff wearing sweats at the front desk. There was another woman who was dressed slightly nicer - in jeans and a blouse, but the blouse had a significant slit down the back exposing a large part of her bra - she looked cute and maybe appropriate for a club, but not a front desk at a "boutique hotel!"
We asked her about the fitness room (which was not mentioned on the hotels website but in an article when the hotel first opened). She looked very confused and she had no idea if/when a fitness center would be there. I also asked her about the lobby bar - again, she had no idea and said that whatever the owner was going to do would hopefully be done by the end of the summer.
Such a bummer that this venue is PERFECT in so so many ways but had just too many conflicting stories, little flaws and confusing details for me to feel comfortable and confident in booking my wedding and reception here.
I was seriously ready to sign on the dotted line and book the entire hotel and a private party of 120-150 with open bar. Too bad they can not get their act together. They need more staff and more oversight. I am so excited for the potential of this place - I just can not have a wedding here :(
I hope this review is helpful not only to staff and owner but other people thinking about visiting here!!!

Dear Trebel02,

So sorry that you did not enjoy your experience with us. As we are learning and have continued to improve.

Monroeville, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014

Stayed here (now twice) when visiting daughter at WVU. In the past we had stayed at some chain hotels a couple of miles away. Saw this place on a travel website and thought it was a mistake...it looks like it should be in NYC.

When you walk in the front door, you realize that you are not in a corporate hotel chain. the lobby is warm and inviting. there are some growing/building pains that are evident as you walk around. but when you renovate an old building not everything is going to work out exactly as you planned.

Front desk service was great, no problems here. First set of room keys did not work. Went back to lobby and got new ones that worked with no problems. We had the double queen room with jacuzzi tub. The rooms are big, very clean, nice furniture, great bed, nice bathroom, good towels. The beds are very high, my father in law was scared he was going to fall off the bed in his sleep.

We were on the 4th floor next to the rooftop deck area. It was winter and it was closed, but we were able to walk around out there and the deck area is awesome. we want to go back in the summer to hang out at the roof bar and deck.

Breakfast was good...what you would expect at a hotel.

The only thing I can say needs addressed is the parking garage stairwells. They go nowhere! Someone had a great idea to let an artist paint some dia de morte style murals on the walls and that combined with no lights makes the stairwell look like an abandoned building in the ghetto, not an upscale boutique hotel. I understand the murals are their to embrace the theme of the bars that are on site at the hotel, but when you pay $200/night for a hotel, the murals are a turn off. They might be better received if the lighting was better and there was actually an exit.

We have stayed here twice and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Dear Damon M,

Thank you for the wonderful review regarding The Chestnut Boutique Hotel. We truly appreciate our guests, and hope to have you back in the future.

Cornwall On Hudson, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

booked this place for two nights. was upset immediately upon arrival but stayed one night. Upside...bed was very comfortable. downsideS...this is like the gang that can't shoot straight! Too little lighting. Adjacent to what was a bar and is now supposedly being renovated, but they have't covered the windows so you look into a mess! Housekeeping supervision is lax at best. Nooks and cranies...like around bathroom corners...not cleaned. Lobby is kind of funky but help is lackadaisical to say the least. girl at desk went out to smoke and left desk unmanned during busiest check out time. It was actually pretty creepy in this place. We love European hotels and don't expect Hampton Inns there...which is why we chose this place. Yuck! Their website also advertises a dining room which they do NOT have. and complimentary breakfast was awful! Housekeeping room was not far from ours and they left the door open and carried on with loud talking...should always keep that door closed. and housekeeping cart was parked in front of our room so WE had to move it to get out! couldn't wait to get out of this joint! Just be smart and Don't Go! One good note? Perhaps the owner...don't know...was a very nice man who was clearly disturbed by our reactions to everything. If he can't provide enough supervision he needs to get folks who can! And get rid of the ditz's!

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear UMichAlum,

I am so sorry that your experience with us was not pleasant. Hopefully we have improved and offer a better experience.

ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

Our first time visiting Morgantown and we found a quaint, clean, quiet, modern, upscale retreat one Monday night in late March at the Chestnut Boutique Hotel. Near the university and downtown restaurants and shops. The desk clerk, Megan, was most helpful and hospitable - more concierge than clerk she guided us to good food, fresh coffee and a good night's sleep. This place is a keeper - especially @ $89 for a comfortable king bed.

Room Tip: Pool and hot tub area looks like it would be fun in Spring & Summer!