“Atomic rox”
Review of Atomic Grill

Atomic Grill
Ranked #7 of 295 Restaurants in Morgantown
Cuisines: Barbecue
Description: We are locally owned and operated. New Ownership was established March 31, 2016. We strive to make the best fresh meal to serve to our guests. We source our meats and produce from local farmers throughout West Virginia and Pennsylvania. WE ARE WV REAL BARBQUE!!
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 11 January 2014

Great local food and friendly service. Request jordan as a server, she's awesome. Ask her about her cat, Raven. The atmosphere is welcoming. Great place to go for bbq, better than Martin's!!!!!!!!!! two thumbs up

There are newer reviews for Atomic Grill

Reviewed 8 January 2014

Dan McCawley and crew have created a wonderful place for barbecue and other dishes that are superbly prepared. Everything made in house using local fresh ingredients.
Located in an old Wonder Bread store. Go and see for yourself

Reviewed 7 January 2014

We visited on a frigid Saturday night in the ice and snow, prior to seeing a movie over the holidays. The place was packed at 7pm, parking was tight and there was no shortage of luxury cars in the lot. It's going for a loca-vore hipster meat shack vibe, but misses the mark just a bit. Here's why:

The food: The food was delicious. I ordered the beef brisket sandwich with slaw, fries and a pickle spear and a side of mustard BBQ sauce. I liked it all, but after reading reviews online, I knew that I needed to disassemble my sandwich, carve off the fat, and reassemble it into a package that was actually pick-up-able. After doing so, I enjoyed it but I used a LOT of napkins, and I did cut off a lot of fat. My husband had the pulled pork sandwich with the crispy onions on top (can't remember the name) served with fries and a pickle.He liked it a lot and felt like it was a lot of food. Both were $12 each.

The service: There was only one server that wasn't tatted and pierced to the nines or dolled up with kabuki lips and fierce eyeliner. The only part that bothered me about the appearance of the serve staff was that I prefer to not be looking through the holes in the heads of people while I eat, and when I can see daylight on the other side, its a bit much. The restaurant features local meats and has an extensive menu of on-site smoked cuts, but when the server asked if we'd ever been there and we said no, her only feature was, "We have an award winning pastry chef from New York and everything is made from scratch each morning, so that's cool, and the menu has everything you need to know, and everything is good, so yeah, like, I guess that's it." If you're going to charge a premium price for a sandwich and make a big deal about being local, your serve staff needs to be well informed and articulate about what you're about. All in all, the service was quick and friendly, though when I needed extra napkins, I had to wait a while for our girl to resurface from wherever she kept disappearing to.

The atmosphere: The atmosphere is cool and trendy: black, red, chalkboard menu, hipster. It was a bit uncomfortable though because it is still basically a twinkie store, a big open room with glass front doors and cheap booths. The guests can all see one another and there is no privacy. When guests go in and out the doors, there is nothing to shield the diners from the wind and weather. Most people were dining with their coats on and my fries were cold halfway through their eating.

In summary, it was nice to go but I'm not clamoring to return. The food was good but for the money, I can go other places in town and be more comfortable.

Last but not least, if you're going to tout your pastry chef's scratch-made wares, don't list Krispy Kreme Donut Bread Pudding on the menu. It is either made-from-scratch OR Krispy Kreme, it is not both.

Reviewed 14 December 2013

I was excited to try this new Morgantown restaurant, but was disappointed, not once but twice. The first time there I ordered their Beef Brisket Sandwich - I just couldn't eat it as it contained more fat than meat. I sent it back - something I've done only once or twice previously. Deciding to give it another try (I really wanted to like the place - nice ambiance, good service, locally grown foods, locally owned), I ordered the Pulled Chicken Sandwich. I didn't send it back, but it was terribly dry. Don't know if I just hit it on the wrong days, I've heard other folks have enjoyed it, but I think I'm done! Sorry Atomic Grill!

Reviewed 20 November 2013

November 2013
The menu is limited to pulled pork/chicken, a few sandwiches, one 16oz steak, grilled veggies, a couple salads, few appetizers and some desserts. My husband and I were starving and had been looking forward to trying this new place for a long time. All of the food served here is from within 2 hours of Morgantown, WV. I understand the limited menu and was ok with it. Nearly everything is served with a side of grilled veggies and french fries. After waiting 15 minutes on our waitress to take our order it took another 30 minutes to get our food. We ordered the only steak on the menu which is a 16oz NY strip served with grilled veggies and french fries. My husband got a sprite and I got water. The steak was huge and tasted ok. I've had better. I'm a vegetable lover and I couldn't even eat the veggies. Very soggy, extremely bland and just no taste at all. The fries were pretty good. Our bill was $60. A crazy price to pay for just ok food. Will not be going back.