“Long trip”

Residence Inn Morgantown
Ranked #12 of 25 Hotels in Morgantown
Reviewed 11 August 2012

We used this hotel as a base for my son's wedding. His bride was from Botswana and her mother came to the wedding. I had reserved a room for her. She arrived at about 2:00 pm the day of her arrival and I asked if there was a clean room available then. I was told that there was not. I had asked at 11:00 am about an early check in but was told no room would be available. This dear woman had traveled for days coming from Gabarone, Botswana, to Pittsburgh and on to Morgantown. Surely, one room could have been cleaned and made available. Otherwise it was a perfect place to work on bouquets and be headquarters for wedding preparations.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank RoxontheRez
There are newer reviews for Residence Inn Morgantown

Reviewed 11 August 2012 via mobile

My daughter and I stayed here in June while visiting WVU. This hotel is very clean, the staff are friendly, and I would stay here again. We ended up staying 2 extra nights because a storm wiped out power at the Marriott in Charleston, WV (we were touring colleges). The lobby is beautiful, and on either Tuesday or Wednesday you got complimentary beer and burgers/hot dogs for dinner. The staff was knowledgeable about the area and strongly encouraged my daughter to choose WVU.

Word of caution, if you are using a Tom-Tom to navigate to this hotel, it directs you to a very narrow and difficult to navigate road. I suggest calling the hotel for alternate directions. As I entered the lobby white knuckled (after the drive), a very helpful concierge was sympathetic and gave me alternate directions.

1  Thank CTEnglishTeacher
Reviewed 9 July 2012

We stayed at the Residence Inn in Morgantown, WV for two nights on 6-7 July 2012 and checked out on the morning of the 8th. Initially, my first impressions of the hotel were positive. We were in town for a wedding that was scheduled for 4:30 pm on that Saturday at a local church. Saturday morning we got up and had a leisurely breakfast which was the typical “hotel breakfast” that includes the make-your-own waffles (the batter is very, very, very thin though) and the powdered scrambled eggs and the micro-waved sausage patties. Our room was on the first floor and, when we walked to the lobby for breakfast, there was no sign of the maid’s cart that they use in the corridors at all (this observation will make sense a bit later.) Although we all made that observation, no one thought anything about it until pondering in retrospect. After breakfast we walked back to our room (still no sign of a maid cart anywhere), changed into swim wear and headed to another hotel in the area where friends of ours where staying. We left the room at about 10:30ish and still haven’t seen a maid anywhere and assumed that someone from housekeeping would arrive and perform their duties in due course. We stayed out of the room until around 2 pm and came back to get ready for the 4:30 wedding. We left the room again at about 3:45 and stayed gone until 6ish to change for the reception. All this time nothing had been done in the room. After we got back to the room at around 10:30, I called the front desk to inquire as to the reason we did not get our room serviced. Nicki, the front desk clerk and apparently the assistant GM, was apologetic and brought us 5 dark brown towels with hand towels and face cloths and a full complement of the standard hotel amenities (soap, toilet paper, etc.). I have never, in all my years seen brown towels in a hotel. We were quite leery about them because, as you can imagine, it was impossible to ascertain their cleanliness. She also told me that she would look into the problem. Other than the apology and towels and such, no other remedy was offered by the hotel.
The next morning, upon check out, I inquired about the reason for not getting service and the front desk clerk informed me that they had not gotten to the bottom of it yet. Still no other remedy was offered. I asked, “Is that it then?” and she asked me what she would like me to do? I asked her what she thinks is fair. In my mind I am thinking that a portion of my daily rate goes to cover the cost of housekeeping and that that service is included with the price I paid. The front desk clerk then informed me that she was only “authorized” to offer a $25.00 credit and, although that was a nice gesture, I didn’t think it was going to solve the issue. I didn’t, and still don’t have a monetary figure in mind and never offered one up. I merely asked the front desk clerk to have the GM call me. That was Sunday morning – it is now late Monday evening and I have yet to hear from the GM. I did call at about 2 pm today (Monday) and inquire about why I had not received a call and to inquire about the amount of the “pending” charge on my credit card. I was rudely placed on hold – you know, when they ask you to hold and don’t wait for a response and then just go about their business hoping you’ll eventually just hang up. I did, in fact, hang up, but called right back and the same person (Nikki) answered and, of course she was just attempting to take me of hold, so she says… – yeah…right! So, now Nikki, the assistant GM tells me that the head person of the housekeeping staff had informed her that we told her that we didn’t want service. I told Nikki that that was false and no such interaction had occurred. The then told me, and I quote, “We back our hotel staff.” I then told her that she just called me a liar. She said that she wasn’t calling me a liar and I told her that, yes, she was, in so many words. Now, I am getting angry, and rightly so. But little Miss Nikki was not finished insulting me yet – she went on to mention that, “you only paid $129.00 a night and that is $100 off the regular room rate.” I answered back that I paid the published rate for a Triple A (AAA) member and that that it was not published that we would have to forego having our room serviced when I booked at that rate. I was now getting angrier and informed her that she was not doing well and that I needed the GM to call me. The call never came – so, I am obligated to tell the tale to anyone who might find this kind of information useful. I will also be lodging a formal complaint to Marriott corporate and you may see this review on other websites where hotel reviews are found.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
9  Thank durkinm
Reviewed 12 June 2012 via mobile

My wife and I and our two granddaughters enjoyed our visit to this hotel. The breakfast staff was awesome. We plan to stop here again on our way home.

Reviewed 9 June 2012

Passing through on our way to DC, so we just had an overnight stay. This hotel is a bit off the freeway. It is close to stadium and large hospitals. We found everyone super friendly. Felt like price was very reasonable. Loved the comfy beds everything was very clean. The breakfast bar had some nice touches. It was the usual breakfast bar food, however, you has fresh blueberries for your waffles and toppings bar for your oatmeal. The little things make a big difference! Best part of breakfast bar was the staff. They came around and checked on you, got refills, took away trash etc. they were awesome! Made you feel welcome. Only thing I would change.... There was no ice machine. The rooms had refrigerators so they didn't provide ice machine. However, our ice machine was ahit off, and we didn't have time to wait for it to make the ice after we turned it on. I would suggest either an ice machine for the hotel or to live the ice makers on in the refrigerators.
If I'm eve in Morgantown, I will be back!

Reviewed 27 April 2012

Stayed one night, two parents & three kids in King suite. Wish we had a double queen suite, but sold out. The kids said the pull out sofa was uncomfortable, but the king bed was good. Very clean throughout, pool was nice, hot tub is gone, basketball court outside so my kids played there alot. Breakfast was very good, staff was attentive & polite. Right across the street from the hospital & football stadium. Trauma helicopters landed 2-3 times over night at the hospital, but didn't bother me too much. I think it was $170+ for the Sat nite but it was worth the extra money. I would stay there again.

Room Tip: get a queen suite
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 March 2012

We arrived at 2pm and had requested an early check in, we were told they were very busy and the room would not be ready until 4pm (usual check in time). It did not appear to be busy, so we decided we would use the whirlpool and pool while we waited. To my surprise, the WHIRLPOOL IS FILLED IN WITH CONCRETE! It does not tell you this on the website, nor were informed of this at the desk. I booked this place mainly because of the indoor pool and whirlpool, I could have stayed somewhere cheaper otherwise. We decided to take a drive instead, when we got back the room was ready at 4:10, not 4:00. Finally got to the room, and it was obvious that no one had been in this room right before us. It was hot (like no a/c had been on, and there was no ice in the ice maker, Then the internet would not work, and I had to call tech support, just what I wanted to do on my mini-vacation.

On a good note, the room was very clean and the bed was comfy. The kids liked the sports court. The location is great if you want to see WVU. You could walk to a football game if that is what you come here for. It is right beside the hospital, so you may be awakened by the helicopter if you are a light sleeper. The breakfast was better than average, with eggs, sausage gravy and biscuits, plus the usual continental fare.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family