“Disappointing”

Dining options: Reservations
Morgantown,Wv
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 21 June 2008

This restuarant starts off good, eclectic modern feel.. good wine and cocktails, only too be followed up with subpar food and poor service. The chef's only excuse for the food was they were short staffed and it was a "busy" night. I am very disappointed in what could have been a promising restuarant in Morgantown.

San Diego, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“My Faverite Place”
Reviewed 19 May 2008

Solera Cafe is great when ever im in town I always go there. The food is the best in town. Every one there is always friendly. The diswasher manager dave is really cool too. Keep up the good great work.

1 Thank hollatheflip
san francisco
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best restaurant in Morgantown”
Reviewed 17 May 2008

Solera is by far the best restaurant in Morgantown. While most of the other fine-dining-level restaurants in town seem determined to keep copying each other's menus, Solera offers a unique, delicious, and high-quality alternative. Not only is the food delicious, but they adhere to, as much as possible in WV, socially conscious practices. If you really read the menu, you'll notice that many ingredients are organic (not just their salad greens like you'll find in some other restaurants in town), and their fish options are generally if not always from sustainable fisheries. Thanks for not having over-fished tuna on your menu, Solera!

Portions are usually bigger than I would expect- it's certainly not one of those pretentious places where you get 2 ounces of meat and a single piece of asparagus on your oversized plate- and I hardly ever am able to finish my entree. Of course, that's also due to the fact that I have to save room for dessert when I go to Solera. I've tried desserts there that I've never even seen elsewhere, like the lime cilantro sorbet with a super-spicy peach habanero sorbet on top. I've never been disappointed, even when the menu changes (as it does every 3 months or so, it seems) and my former favorites are gone.

Also, the view is the best of any restaurant in Morgantown. Much nicer to look at trees and beautiful hillside houses than the brown Mon river... Great for a romantic evening or a night out with friends.

Anyone who doesn't like the food at Solera, or the friendly and honest service, doesn't have good taste and shouldn't be trusted! And this is coming from a San Francisco native who knows good food.

1 Thank sffoodfan
kande1
“Not Great”
Reviewed 11 May 2008

This place isn't great for food OR service, and it is quite expensive. After we had dinner there tonight, I have felt like we were ripped off. I think we paid over $100 for our dinner, and we realized that we were still hungry on the way home. We had appetizers and dessert, also, but none of it was enough to fill us up. We are not big eaters, but the appetizers small, the entrees are small also, and the dessert was hardly edilble. I'll swear I think it was Cozy Shack tapioca pudding with burned sugar on top. Mine seemed to be ground up ginger snaps, reformed with water and baked inside a saucer, with poached pears on top. It was like a piece of cardboard with some fruit on it; not good.

For the appetizer, we had the alligator, which was almost inedible because it was so tough, the smoked ribs, which were also more like leather than food, the avacado salad, which was nice because of the fancy lettuce, and the lobster, which was pretty decent, but a little tough as well.

For entree's we had the Kobe beef flank steak, which was almost raw, and it was very fatty. It had a tough piece in the middle, like corned beef. We also had a fish dish, which was about 2 ounces of fish placed on a bed of sauteed greens. It was nice, but very oily.

The service was not good. When we got there, we were the only ones in the restaurant, and they asked if we had a reservation. We said yes, and we gave them our names, and the girl said "Party of six?" Even though she saw that we were a party of four, and it said so on the paper, she still said that . We said "four", and she said "a four top?" "We have a four top out on the balcony" Well, we are a party of four, but we are not a "four top". That is waitress talk, that should not be used in front of the guests.

The balcony is small, and in the sun. The gutter was dirty, and the siding was red painted vinyl boards. I was a lttle worried that it would fall while we were out there. The view is nice, unless you face the wall, or you are behind the locust trees.

I think if you are looking for a romantic dinner, a better choice would be the Boathouse Bistro. I think the food is better there, although it has been not so great a couple of times we were there, the atmosphere is so much better than Solera. I won't go back to Solera, it's just too much money for what it is. They don't even have professional menus, they are made from photo albums, and the pages don't stay in the little photo album corners. I feel sort of like they have big egos, and they think they are going to get away with cheap tables, cheap menus, small portions, dirty gutters, laminate flooring, small beers, and desserts from grocery store ingredients, and somehow we won't notice! Well, I noticed, and I didn't appreciate it.

Pete042, Manager at Richwood Grill, responded to this review, 15 May 2008
This review was written by an individual who was asked to leave our premises due to belligerent and inappropriate behavior towards the staff. It would seem that their review is filled with spite rather than facts.
Morgantown, WV
“What a find!!!!”
Reviewed 15 November 2007

This little gem is located in the Woodburn neighborhod of Morgantown. It has a spectacular view, the food was phenomenal and the service was friendly and excellent. They also sport a very lovely and reasonably priced wine list. If you ever find yourself in Morgantown, make sure to make this one of your stops. You will not regret it.

1 Thank WVCassie