“Phenomenal ”
Review of Sargasso

Sargasso
Reserve with OpenTable
Sargasso is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #49 of 289 Restaurants in Morgantown
Price range: US$12 - US$35
Cuisines: American, Fusion
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Locally owned and operated, we strive to provide the premiere dining experience in the region by utilizing ingredients of the highest quality from local to international with each season. During dinner service, we offer both a multi-course upscale dinner menu and a bistro menu with plates under $15. Our culinary team is led by a duo of experienced chefs -European-trained Austrian native Chef Thomas Metzler and local talent Chef Dave Halterman. We are honored by Wine Spectator for having one of the most outstanding wine lists in the world. The Sargasso family takes great pride in offering our guests world-class service in a hospitable and inviting atmosphere.
Morgantown, West Virginia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Phenomenal ”
Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

Everything about this restaurant is first class. I called when the restaurant was closed and I left a message. I received two follow-up return phone calls. I explained to the manager that I had trouble with my hearing and requested seating in a quiet area. The manager advised that she would be happy to make an accommodation. The manager explained that my daughter and I would be seated in their wine room, that the music would be turned so not to interfere with my hearing aids, and that the staff would be expecting me.

Everything was perfect. The staff immediately recognized my name and ushered us to our seats. The music was turned down as promised; the waitress was very pleasant and attentive. The food was absolutely great!!! I had a fisherman-type soup and loved it. I would have it again. My daughter is one of the most finicky eaters I know. She loved her meal (chicken). We will be returning for another meal.

1 Thank Wvfed1

Morgantown, West Virginia
“Best of Morgantown (and beyond)”
Reviewed 6 March 2014

Our third dinner at Sargasso lived up to the first two. You won't find a better overall dining experience in Morgantown. The service is fantastic. Our waiters have all been knowledgeable, professional and unobtrusive. We ask questions about menu items and we ask for recommendations each time and have not been disappointed. Furthermore, the atmosphere is calm and sophisticated, yet not pretentious. Our food has been spot-on each time -- well-presented, flavorful and perfectly portioned. We have eaten in fine establishments across North America and Europe. Sargasso can compete with the best of them.

Menu items sampled to date: seafood bisque, salmon, surf and turf (with both giant shrimp and lobster), scallops, rabbit hot pot, cauliflower galette, foie gras.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank HollyShoots
Morgantown
“Great luncheon spot”
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Recently had lunch with a long-time business colleague. We will seated and served almost immediately. I had the crab cake sandwich on a house made bun and accompanying salad. Crab was very generous with little filler and was pan sauteed, rather than deep fried like most places. Salad was mixed greens garnished with Parmesan cheese and was quite generous. Colleague had a cup Venetian fish soup and found it to be excellent. We were not rushed with our meal, unlike many Morgantown restaurants during lunch. It appears to be a great business lunch spot.

• Visited February 2014
Naples, Florida
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 10 February 2014

Sargasso's is probably the best restaurant in Morgantown. The wait staff is usually helpful and friendly and the food is usually superb. Not tonight.

My friend and I had early reservations giving us plenty of time to attend a sporting activity. We were greeted and ushered to our table. As we ordered, we mentioned that we needed to leave quickly to get to the game. Our orders were taken, bread arrived and we waited, and waited.

After 45 minutes passed, there was still no food. We only ordered an entree with no soup or salad, and there were only about 15 people at the early seating. We reminded the waitress that we were in a hurry, and after one hour our food appeared. I ordered a new item on the menu, a Caribbean chicken with rice and plantains. It arrived on a cold plate. The chicken and accompanying sauce had little flavor, the food was barely warm.

We finally finished after an hour and a half. The waitress offered a dessert for us to take home to make amends for the meal. We politely declined and left for our game that had already started.

It pains me to write this evaluation of a usually wonderful restaurant, but this was probably the worst experience I have ever had at Sargasso's.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank A T
Charleston, West Virginia
“Solid Choice, Great Atmosphere”
Reviewed 13 January 2014

I ate here with two business associates based on the recommendation of a local businessman, and I was not dissappointed by this upscale restaurant located out of town and away from campus. The atmosphere and service were very good, actually better than I expected. Two of us had the salmon, and the other had the chicken breast. We were all pleased, and my salmon was nicely plated and cooked to perfection. I also enjoyed the risotto served with it.

I intend to go back at my next opportunity.

• Visited September 2013