My husband and 2 sons stopped at the Microtel Inn in Morgantown on our way home from Myrtle Beach SC. This location was very easy to find off the highway and we were anxious to check in at around 8pm after 9 hours of driving.
The front desk clerk was friendly and checked us in. That is where things went so wrong. We went to our room, opened the door only to find that there were people already staying in the room. I have stayed at my share of hotels and this is truly a first! I have never opened a hotel room door to see other people inside. Thankfully the people inside did not see us and we quickly closed the door. My husband and I talk about this incident regularly since opening that door could have been so different....I will let you imagine the possible scenarios that we could have encountered.
Long story short, that is a big no-no for a hotel. I immediately advised the front desk gentleman about the mistake so we could be checked into a different room. He apologized and said he was new, but this is a critical mistake that should never, ever happen at a hotel. I know he felt bad and we appreciated him getting the room-rate reduced for the major error with first check in.
In terms of the stay, the room we had was rather noisy as it was right at the elevator. We heard everyone passing by, getting ice and getting in and out of the elevator. Not a peaceful sleep at all.
The continental breakfast was ok....nothing to get excited about, but it will suffice to get you back on the road. The breakfast area had only 2 tables which is not enough for a 4 story hotel.
All in all, I will likely not stay at the Microtel Inn again. I go with first impressions and the check-in disaster is what ruined our stay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Less than a mile from I-79, this unfussy hotel is 3 miles from West Virginia University and 5 miles from Mountaineer Field at Milan Puskar Stadium, home of the West Virginia University football team. Bright, casual rooms come with free Wi-Fi, flat-screen TVs and coffeemakers. Upgraded rooms include microwaves and minifridges. Suites add sofabeds. Kids age 17 and under stay at no extra charge. Freebies include continental breakfast, evening snacks and parking. Pets are welcome for a fee. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, HotelsClick, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Morgantown reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Microtel Inn & Suites Morgantown Hotel Morgantown
- Microtel Inn And Suites Morgantown