“Fine place to stay, but not our first choice”

Comfort Inn New River
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Oak Hill
Brighton, Michigan
“Fine place to stay, but not our first choice”
Reviewed 29 July 2011

To let everyone know who is looking at the area hotels, this hotel and the New River Inn on Fayette Landings are the same hotel. The city changed the road name with the new interchange.

This was not our first choice for area lodging, but seeing we got such a late start to planning this vacation we were unable to get the premium lodging on ACE Adventure Center property. Since we were in Oak Hill, WV 6 years ago, the rafting scene has changed dramatically. Where ACE had been in competition with several other companies at that time, the economy has forced several rafting companies to sell their names and assets to two remaining companies: Class IV and ACE. This consolidation has placed a squeeze on the premium climate controlled lodging at these places. Therefore, we chose this establishment to stay in.

There is nothing to make this property to stand out from any other hotel in the area, although others staying here stated that one of the area indoor pools had so much chlorine in it, just entering the pool area burned one's eyes and lungs. The rooms were of adequate size and clean. We were able to get a hot shower at any time, no matter how full the hotel was. However, we can not state positively the friendliness of the desk staff. We made no crazy requests and were met with a "humph" from the front desk for the internet username and password. If that is so much a bother, put it in the room. With this economy, one might think a person would want to make sure they kept a job they had.

As for noise, thankfully it was not the weekend so there were no parties or boistrous people near us. We asked for and got a room on the third floor near an exit on the back side of the property. It was a little disconcerting as we brought our luggage to our room and feeling and hearing the hall floor creak and groan the entire way.

As for the internet, I swear they had scheduled outages or sent software to my wireless that would turn it off. I also had software conflicts that I did not have before staying there, or since I left the establishment.

The breakfast area was small, but efficiently run. The employee kept cleaning the tables and making sure that everything remained stocked. They also had two flavors of Belgian waffles each day, along with hard boiled eggs, sausage gravy and other items. If you leave hungry, you are way to picky. As for the other meals of the day, there are many other dining options close by in the strip mall: El Rio Grande mexican, Subway, Shoney's and an Asian buffet that the local like.

Bottom line; would I stay here again? Yes, if I could not get a premium place to stay on the rafting company's property.

Room Tip: Just ask when checking in
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Kingshott

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
QUINTON
Reviewed 23 July 2011

We were here for 2 nights. The beds were comfortable and the room clean. Nice size fridge. Maid service was terrible.

Breakfast had a lot of variety with hot items in a very clean and well stocked room.

The room and bath are smaller than average and, as others noted, the walls are paper thin. A lot of noise from both above and beside us. It wasn't that distracting as it quieted down by bedtime. (most folks, as well as we, were probably there for the rafting early in the morning). Only 1 mile to River Expeditions, which was a great outfit to raft the New.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
Mount Ida, Arkansas
Reviewed 22 July 2011

We had three rooms for two nights with our mission team. We went on the New River Gorge rafting. The hotel was new, clean, great mattress, good breakfast. I can't find anything to complain about except the halls and the elevator smelled strong with smoke. The staff was very nice. They went out of their way to get the girls swim
towels. They put our rooms
adjacent to each other. The pool was small but clean. I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed July 2011
Reviewed 26 June 2011

My wife and I stayed at the New River Comfort Inn because we were looking for a hotel that was close to our rafting trip meeting point. It was within 5 minutes which was very nice. When we checked in we were given a room which was pretty clean and on the first floor. I called the front desk to get an access code for wireless Internet, but no one answered. I then walked to the front desk but no one was there. I waited for about 10 minutes before saying screw it. Went back to the room and went to bed, or at least tried. It felt like you could hear everything everyone was saying in the whole hotel. Anytime someone would walk upstairs on the second floor, there were all kinds of loud creaking and pinging noises in the ceiling and it sounded like something was going to come through the ceiling at any moment. The beds were also some of the most uncomfortable beds I have slept in, the worst being in Mexico. For the price we paid I would expect more and and expect a little better breakfast as well. We'll deff stay somewhere else next rafting trip.

• Stayed June 2011
2 Thank Smoke1664
Dothan, Alabama
Reviewed 19 June 2011

I requested a roll-away bed online and when I arrived they told me that they didn't have any even though it was a option. They mentioned they had air mattresses but they were all being used, so my daughter slept on the floor. I didn't realize they had a pool either, it was heated but full of leaves. Otherwise, the hotel was neat and clean. Close to white water rafting adventures and that is why we stayed there. Restaurants and stores right up the road.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Beckley
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Beckley East
The Resort at Glade Springs
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Beckley

Been to Comfort Inn New River? Share your experiences!