“frustratingly slow check-in clerk and mediocre room”

Comfort Inn New River
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Oak Hill
Toronto
“frustratingly slow check-in clerk and mediocre room”
Reviewed 1 July 2012

I would have given this 3 stars or 3.5 if not for the check in process that took about an hour.

I stayed one night during a motorbike trip in June. We hit some rain and went to look for a hotel. When we arrived, we politely waited for the clerk to finish checking in the family ahead of us before asking if they had rooms available. We waited 20 minutes! People were piling up behind us, and we were hot and wet, but this clerk was SLOW.
When we finally got to the desk and found there were rooms available, I had to stand and watch this clerk spend 25 minutes checking us in. She clearly was half blind and typed at a rate of one charcacter every 5 seconds and made many mistakes and had to start over. God forbid you should ask a question while she was entering data into the computer, because that would surely throw her off and she'd have to erase something or forget what she was doing. It took more willpower than I have ever known to not scream in frustration at her.

As for the room, the furniture was nice and there were real hangers. The shower only half-worked, depending on what setting you turned the showerhead to.

It was clean and comfy otherwise. I think I paid $89/night plus tax.
Up the street (walking distance) was a little mall that had a great Mexican restaurant (with very strong margaritas that helped put us back in a good mood!)

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Reviewed 7 June 2012

Stayed here for two days, 15 minute drive to ACE adventure. Clean, big rooms, friendly staff, good free breakfest. Hotel is not pet friendly. Our room had 2 KING beds which is extremely hard to find. Hotel has a outdoor pool, no indoor. Will be coming back to stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank acf2364
Reviewed 5 June 2012

Have stayed here a couple times. good people behind the desk, relatively clean and great location near the highway and a shopping mall.

decent internet, lots of light near the work table (table itself was a bit small) plenty of electrical outlets. Clean room and bathroom, but it did have some wear and tear. Again, nothing that was a problem, just some caulking and small chips in the walls. Linens and towels also showed some wear, but everything was clean and comfortable. The room was quiet even with a relatively loud carnival (temporary carnival, in town for that weekend) a short way down. this is located at the end of a mall and the carnval and rides were in the mall parking lot. plenty of shops and restaurants in the mall and relatively nearby. nothing special (in terms of shops) the immediate area but what looked to be some fun attractions relatively close by. I will likely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
New Jersey
Reviewed 1 June 2012

Great place to stay when you need to be at a Gorge activity early in the morning. (If not, there are lower prices in Beckley.) Our room and bath was exceptionally clean and well maintained, so it was surprising that the furniture was banged up looking and bedspreads were stained. The included breakfast had many options and was offered in a comfortable, clean breakfast room. I would happily return if I were rafting or doing something else with an early start by the New River.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
East Liverpool, Ohio
Reviewed 13 April 2012

Close to New River Gorge. Room was clean, nearby restaraunts and delivery to room available. Staff was nice and helpful, would stay here again!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Pittsburgh
Reviewed 29 February 2012

I travel back and forth several times a year between Western PA and various southern states. So, I have stayed at several hotels along Route 19. None of them are 5 star resorts, but I know the standard of comparison for the area. On this visit, I randomly chose Comfort Inn in Oak Hill. I had noticed it was pet friendly. On this trip, we did not have our dog with us, but I always like to note pet friendly places along this route. However, upon arrival, it caught my eye that several signs said "no pets allowed". I asked the desk clerk. She said they did away with the pet policy in October. But, no big deal on this trip, just something to note. I arrived late with my two young daughters. We were eager to rest up and hit the road the next morning. Stepped off the elevator and was overwhelmed with the smell of cigarette smoke. I had requested a smoke free floor. However, I noticed as I walked down the hall the smell was not as strong (I later realized the smell was coming from an "authorized personnel only" door right beside the elevator - I guess the staff is smoking in their area by the elevator on the smoke free floor). Going down the hall, I notice the carpets are filthy, but we were arriving late, I attributed it to messy guests earlier in the day. I stepped into my room and cold air slammed me. Someone had turned the a/c on full blast as cold as it would go. It was 25 degrees and snowing outside and apparently, not much better in my room! So, I turned on the heat - two wasps came flying out of the unit! I was quite shocked. I killed them, but noticed two more dead ones on the floor (does that mean the room was not vacuumed before me?). As I am getting our stuff out to get ready, I realize I left my toothbrush at home. Nice little sign in the bathroom says the front desk has extra, so I think no problem. Go down to ask for one, come upon the manager and desk clerk gossiping about the guests in another room - saying they are very difficult and they bet nothing would make them happy, etc. (maybe there were wasps in their heating unit and they complained). Anyway, we all complain at work, but I would think you might want to talk about the customers behind closed doors! So, I request my toothbrush - they're all out, have been for a few days. I didn't complain though, wouldn't want them to talk about me! But, I just wanted to get to bed and sleep. Got in bed, the covers were cheap and stiff and there were several holes in the blanket. On a positive note though, breakfast was great - lots of variety and both hot and cold items - yogurts, hard boiled eggs, scrambled eggs, bagels, waffle making station, juices, milks, sausage patties, apples, bananas, etc. That was nice. Overall though, if you need to stop along Route 19, you would be better off in one of the other chain hotels. There are several between Summersville and Fayetteville and all are about the same price range.

Room Tip: Stay far away from the elevator on the second floor if you are bothered by the smell of smoke!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank meklein
Lake Orion, Michigan
Reviewed 5 December 2011

We booked this through Expedia, which said they were pet friendly. I even called Expedia and told them we had a large dog and wanted to make sure they would take our G.P. and they assured us it was all good. We got there late and were informed that they don't accept pets. The girl at the desk was very apologetic and gave us the name and phone #'s of pet friendly motels in the area and also told us that they had tried to get Expedia to take that off their reservation web site for several months. My husband called Expedia and told them what happened and they still said that they accepted pets, and we were standing right there! The motel didn't charge us anything, so kudo's to them for something that was not there fault.

Room Tip: We didn't get to stay there, but it looked like a fairly new motel.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
The Resort at Glade Springs
Days Inn Mount Hope
Days Inn Mount Hope
#1 of 1 in Mount Hope

Been to Comfort Inn New River? Share your experiences!