“Decent and Improving”

Comfort Inn New River
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Oak Hill
Reviewed 21 May 2013

It is right off of Hwy 19- Fayette Landing Road, up a slight hill. Coming from the south our GPS took us through town and into a shopping center. We had to ask for directions. The iPhone map was worse. The motel stands alone with not much nearby. However there is a shopping mall a short distance south of the unit.
Room was clean, and recently remodeled. Many of the rooms have been renovated and there is construction on other rooms. We got one that was renovated, but the hallway carpeting was still being installed. Not a problem. Room and bathroom were a little small but adequate. AC works well but is a bit noisy. However, it is a steady noise. We opted to open the window at night and it was quiet and we slept well. Rooms on 2d and 3d floor windows do open. Not on first floor, though.
Breakfast is very good. Waffles, eggs, sausage, cereal, hard boiled eggs, fruit, yogurt, etc. Breakfast area is small.
Staff is friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: If you can live without AC at night, ask for a 2d or 3d floor room and open the window, instead of r...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Comfort Inn New River

Reviewed 10 April 2013

We used this hotel due to it's location near New River Gorge. Sadly however the weather didn't allow us to see the gorge before we left which was a shame. The lady at the reception when we arrived was friendly and checked us in with no bother. Once in the room I had to return to check in to ask about the internet password, which maybe should have been given on arrival. On closer inspection of the room we discovered dirty bed sheets, so I returned again to the front desk. She brought us clean sheets and also offered to change the beds but as my two children were already changed I declined this offer. The bathroom was smaller than usual with no where really to put anything and with 4 of us sharing was cosy, but as this was only an overnight stop was not really a huge problem. However in the morning it was discovered that a couple of the towels were also dirty/stained. The breakfast room was being renovated so it was served in the lobby, surprisingly this was ok. There was plenty of choice and it was clean and the staff member kept an eye on things and restocked when necessary, however had there been any more guest's that just my family in there at the time there would not have been space to sit. We have stayed in quite a few Choice hotel properties and this one fell into the bracket of average price and good location but did nothing to make it stand out as either the best or worst.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 November 2012

This is a very nice hotel with a very friendly staff. The location is by far the best aspect of this hotel. The room was nice, bed was comfortable and there was nothing broke in the room. Breakfast was free and not too crowded. The hallway could use new carpet and the AC in the hallway was broke which made it a bit uncomfortable.

I would stay here again if I am going to visit the gorge again.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 October 2012

We stayed at this hotel twice during a recent vacation. The first room had a smell of old smoke. Just in case, I brought a candle with me to mask unwanted smells. The second room did not have the old smoke odor. The staff was pleasant upon each registration. The rooms were clean and each had a newer 32" flat screen TV, microwave, and fridge. The bathroom is a bit smaller than newer hotels....no counter top space. Rooms were clean upon arrival. We used the facility's washing machine and dryer and they both worked well. Cost is $1.50 each. Breakfast was very tasty with lots to choose from....yogurt, eggs, sausage, sausage & gravy, biscuits, blueberry and regular waffles, hard boiled eggs, bagels, and more. The outdoor pool is closed for the season, however, it backs up against a beautiful rock wall. I used the fitness center once. Small but adequate for cardio machines (treadmill, stair climber, and cycle). Flat screen TV provided in fitness area.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 September 2012

Smells like mold from the minute you enter. We purchased air fresheners and left window open but still could not get rid of the smell in our room. Carpet is stained and needs replaced. There were spider webs in the hall window and it was left open (I guess to try to rid the hallway of the musty smell as well.) Would rather have stayed in Beckley and driven further to our destination than to stay in this overpriced, poorly maintained hotel.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank LoveToDive55
Reviewed 9 September 2012

I have stayed in many Comfort Inns and this is by far the worst...and worst hotel I have stayed in. The hotel is in a great location for Adventures on the Gorge, but sometimes, location isn't everything. When walking into the lobby, all the lights were off. Most of the lights were off in the whole hotel. No, the electricity wasn't off, I think they were trying to conserve energy (not that that is a bad thing). The room smelled like someone had smoked in the room, along with a damp mold smell on top of the smoke. The carpet needed replaced, and the sheets had black marks on them. The breakfast room is entirely too small for the guests and poorly laid out. In fact, we just turned around and went to Sheetz for breakfast. The best experience the entire time there was checking out.

Room Tip: Don't bother because you can hear everything from every room as we had a big party staying at th...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank HannahRattigan
Reviewed 8 September 2012

First let me say that we have stayed at the Comfort Inn New River in Oak Hill WV previously and loved our stay. This year, we stayed the first weekend in August. I left several articles of clothing and a small jewelry bag behind by mistake. I realized I left these items as soon as I arrived home and called the hotel immediatley. I was told my items were there but the clerk had no idea how I could get my items back and told me to call the next day and speak with the manager. To make a very long story short, by the time my articles were located again, the jewelry was missing. I went back and forth with the staff , one day my items were there, with the exception of the jewelry and the next day, they couldn't find anything. I left 2 messages for the manager who never bothered to call me back. The last time I called, I asked to leave the manager another message but he actually answered the phone. I explained the situation and his response to me was he was offended that I was accusing one of his staff of theft. All I know is my jewelry was there one day and gone the next. I am STILL waiting for my clothing to arrive at my home COD. ( 5 weeks later). I called the corporate office of Choice Hotels and since this location is independently owned and operated, there was nothing they could do. They told me to make a claim on my homeowner's insurance. No one cares that there is a thief at the Comfort Inn New River! I did call the local police and file a report. I will never see my jewelry again, but I hope by leaving this review, you will avoid staying at this hotel. Please, do not stay here. There are many other hotels in the area that will treat their customers better.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
The Resort at Glade Springs
Days Inn Mount Hope
Days Inn Mount Hope
#1 of 1 in Mount Hope

Been to Comfort Inn New River? Share your experiences!