“Not What I Expected”

Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Parkersburg
Charleston, West Virginia
“Not What I Expected”
Reviewed 18 April 2012

Yes, it's 100 years old and a beautiful arcitechtural piece of history--however, when looking for a luxury hotel, I found this to be average at best. Parking was severely limited with the lot being around the corner and across an alley. With reasonably warm days and cool nights, I wanted to use both the heat and a/c--heat barely worked at all; and the a/c was an ALL or NOTHING proposition. The internet conection was easy enough, but it kept going in and out--I had to keep connceting (this was also a problem encountered by presenters at the conference I was attending in the hotel's ballroom). If you get the "intermediate" room, be prepared for a small space--especially the bathroom. I must admit, the quality of the bedding and towels are first-rate; and I was treated well by the staff. I still would have preferred a cheaper room with a microwave and fridge where I could park my car without a problem.

Room Tip: If it's in your budget, upgrade to a suite--you'll welcome the extra space.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank 20runner
DorindaConner, Manager at The Blennerhassett Hotel, responded to this review, 26 April 2012
Good Morning 20runner,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review; when a guest is unhappy - we want to know! I'm sorry we fell short on meeting your expectations; we take great pride in trying to not only meet, but exceed, each guest's expectations and appreciate the opportunity to address any issues .
I do apologize for the trouble you had in regulating the temperature in your room and also with the internet connection. Please know that we do have someone on-site 24 hours a day to help when a problem arises and that you simply need to contact the front desk for assistance. I am also sorry you found parking to be inconvenient; we do encourage our guests to take advantage of our complimentary valet parking service to ease the task of not only parking, but also assisting with their luggage handling.

I do hope you will consider revisiting our property in the future and that by taking advantage of all of our services, we hope to exceed your expectations! Please feel free to contact me directly for any questions or assistance.

Director of Guest Services

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
Ohio
Reviewed 15 April 2012

We enjoyed the "Blennerhassett by Candlelight" package last October, which included a paddle steamer ride to Blennerhassett island, a rustic harvest dinner, a tour of the mansion with historical interpreters, and the price of the hotel room. The entire experience was fantastic!

The hotel has been renovated tastefully with a very cool lounge. We enjoyed a drink there on the night of our arrival and thought that the service was great. The lounge has a well-worn but classy feel, with comfy leather chairs and a sophisticated atmosphere. We didn't try the restaurant there but were intrigued by the menu.

Our room was everything we expected and more: clean and decorated elegantly with a wonderful bed. I had an excellent sleep because of the mattress and quiet atmosphere, and I think that there was even a wedding reception going on at the hotel that night.

I also want to note a particularly outstanding aspect of their service: my husband and I had a misunderstanding about the booking of the night of our stay and came down a night early. Although this mistake was clearly our fault, the desk clerk allowed us to check in with no hassle. I don't know that this would be possible in their busy season, but it allowed us to have the wonderful romantic getaway that we had planned for.

We want to come back soon! We enjoyed a number of activities in the area such as exploring the Fenton glass factory and downtown Marietta.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank coldhandswarmheart
DorindaConner, Manager at The Blennerhassett Hotel, responded to this review, 17 April 2012
Hello coldhandswarmheart,

How nice to hear you enjoyed your visit in October; especially the Mansion by Candlelight Package. This is one of our most popular packages and we are looking forward to this years event. It's nice to hear you were pleased with the assistance you received from the desk staff; I will be sure to pass along your kind comments.
We hope to see you on a return visit this fall and please feel free to contact me directly if you need any assistance.

Warmly,
huntington iIndiana, USA
Reviewed 9 April 2012

We had a wonderful two nights at the Blennerhassett. The rooms were clean and neat and the bathrooms were spotless. The staff at the hotel were professional and helpful. Rachel, the bartender in the lounge, gave us lots of information about the history of the hotel and offered knowledgeable dinner suggestions. She and all of the other staff at the hotel were friendly and outgoing.

I would not hesitate to recommend the Blennerhassett and look forward to an opportunity to stay there again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank fscgrayston
Hello fscgrayston,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property and for the nice compliments. I will be sure to pass along your kind words to the staff and especially to Rachel.

Have a wonderful day and we hope to see you on a return visit!

Harmony, Maine
Reviewed 7 April 2012

Our third night on the road...we arrived at the Blennerhassett tired and grubby after the staying in fairly unpleasant circumstances the previous two nights (pet-friendly places often tend to be less than classy). Great service started the moment we pulled up to the curb on an unseasonably hot March afternoon in Parkersburg. Check-in was a breeze, and we were soon relaxing in our spacious junior suite. Food bowls and treats were waiting for our dogs as were hot showers for us in the bathroom full of high-end finishes. The king bed, the sofa, all the furnishings bespoke comfort as we relaxed in our terry robes with a beverage (ice was delivered by hotel staff). Our delicious dinner came from room service with no exhorbitant extra charges for the delivery. Excellent burgers -- so generous that there was plenty left over for extra-special dog treats. Next morning, after a peaceful night's sleep in absolute quiet, we checked out without a hitch. Sure it cost a lot, but we definitely feel like we got our money's worth of pampering.
A couple additional comments: Max water temperature in the shower is 120 degrees, which was fine with me, but my partner grumbled a bit as she prefers scalding to merely hot. Also, the hotel is right downtown, which adds to its charm, but our dogs are used to quite a bit of freedom so they were not especially taken with the small outdoor green spaces available to them. They coped, however.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank courage_fan
Hello courage_fan,

Thank you for such a nice review of our property and it's nice to know you found great relaxation during your stay. I apologize the water temperature was not hot enough for your partner; there is a way to increase the water temperature so be sure to ask on your next visit. Regarding the green space for your dog; it can be a little difficult being downtown, but for maybe your next visit, - the city recently reopened our river front area (after a major project this summer) which is within walking distance from the hotel and there are some additional green areas in this space.

Thank you again!
Guest Services Director
Manassas, VA
Reviewed 5 April 2012

This is actually my second stay at the Blennerhassett (I should have rated sooner, but I wasn't sure my first stay hadn't been a dream). The hotel is located in a lovely, historic building (with a very nice patio) in the government center of Parkersburg, WV. While the facility is very nicely appointed, it's really the staff (Robin, Lindsey, Michael, Josh, and many more!) that puts this charming place over the top. The rooms are very comfortable, very clean, and well tended each day (right down to evening ice delivery). Even though I know this is a business, everyone always seems genuinely pleased to see you and to help you with anything you need. I can't imagine a nicer place to stay - it's like having a place to call home while you're away (you can even bring the family dog).

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
DorindaConner, Manager at The Blennerhassett Hotel, responded to this review, 5 May 2012
Hello Daphne S,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review and how gracious - THANK YOU!!! I am so glad to hear you speak of the hotel with such a sense of home - that is our goal! We want every guest to have the welcoming and comforting sense of home during their visit; especially when we welcome "Fido" as they arrive!

Your kind words regarding our staff will definitely be passed along to all and especially to those you named.

Thank you again for your kind words and we look forward to your next visit!

Warmly,
Burlington, Canada
Reviewed 27 March 2012

My husband and I chose this hotel because it was pet friendly, but when we arrived I realized that we had stumbled over a lovely historic hotel that exceeded our expectations. The room was large and well furnished. The bathroom was done in granite and looked new. The bed was so comfortable it was difficult to get out of.The room was very quiet. As we did have our dog we decided to dine in the room and were extremely pleased with our dinners. The whole experience was so satisfying that we have decided to return here on our way back to Florida in April.

Room Tip: Apparently some of the rooms are believed to be haunted so if you are looking for some excitement yo...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Yvonne L
DorindaConner, Manager at The Blennerhassett Hotel, responded to this review, 29 March 2012
Hello Yvonne L,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a nice review. It's always nice to hear from our guests that choose our hotel because we accept dogs - we love our canines! Please feel free to contact me if you need help in making your return trip accommodations.

Safe Travels!

Boone, North Carolina
Reviewed 19 March 2012

What a fresh change from the monotonous chain hotels . I can't tell you how happy we were to find this gem .
The restaurant also gets 5 stars for quality food at an affordable price.
The ambiance cannot be beat..
Thumbs ways up!

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank drpeaceman
DorindaConner, Manager at The Blennerhassett Hotel, responded to this review, 21 March 2012
Hello drpeaceman,

What a pleasure to hear you enjoyed your stay with us; I will be sure to pass on your gracious comments to our staff. Thank you for taking the time to review our property; it's always nice to hear of a job well done.

Safe travels and hope to see you again,

Director of Guest Services
Also consider these accommodations in or near Parkersburg
Hampton Inn & Suites Parkersburg Downtown
#6 of 11 in Parkersburg
Red Roof Inn Parkersburg
Red Roof Inn Parkersburg
#5 of 11 in Parkersburg

Been to The Blennerhassett Hotel? Share your experiences!