“Peaceful, gorgeous, plan on going again.”

Pipestem Resort State Park
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Pipestem
Reviewed 15 September 2011

I attended a conference in February at Pipestem so it was during its off-season. The staff was wonderful, the accommodations were nice and even though the weather was typical for February (cool, wet, rainy) the scenery was gorgeous. There is a deck on one side of the resort overlooking the West Virginia Mountains. It was beautiful. Very quiet out there with the resort being 30 minutes from the nearest town. That is something that you need to be aware of..... pack everything that you need before you get there because you can't just run to Walmart if you forget something. This place reminded me a lot of the resort on the movie Dirty Dancing. Quiet, serene. Keep in mind that it might not be quite as quiet and serene during the summer. There were a lot of walking trails available and next year I plan on packing some walking shoes to do just that. (I packed business attire since it was a business trip). Bring a book or your kindle and plan on having a relaxing time.

Room Tip: If possible, request a room with the gorge view. Pack some snacks to keep in your room since you w...
  • Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank familyoffiveMissouri

Reviewed 12 September 2011

Just don't hang out in your room that much, and you will love it hear. The Park is fantastic, the people are friendly. I thought it was a beautiful view. We took the crazy funicular to the restaurant at the bottom. It was pricey, but the portions were huge and it was delicious. The chef even made me my own vegetarian entree.

Yes, ok, the rooms are old. But it was clean enough, and its better than camping.

Room Tip: Balcony is essential.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 September 2011

I had read all of the reviews (good and bad) on McKeever Lodge at Pipestem. My husband and I just returned from a weekend trip there and were happy in every way with our room, the view and the service. The room we had was a "gorge view room" on the 4th floor. I was expecting to walk in and find a drab, unclean and out of date room---instead it appeared to be freshly painted, newly carpeted and very clean. The sheets were great---good quality silky cotton. Just trying to cover some of the complaints I had read here. It could be some of the rooms are being remodeled and some have not been yet---thus the complaints. But, we were really happy with ours! The only complaint (not to the hotel) is the smoking on the balconies. Nothing like walking out onto the balcony to overlook a beautiful gorge and smelling smoke from someone's cigarette on another balcony. I believe all of the rooms are non-smoking in the hotel---so the balconies have become the designated smoking spot---a real shame for those who do not smoke. We did not eat in the dining room at McKeever, but had a hamburger down at Mulligan's-- the golf bar. The food was not very good and the place just felt kind of grimmy and poorly run. It is too bad because it could be a nice place to eat with some remodeling, better seating and better management.

Room Tip: Ask for remodeled rooms.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bcnewton50
Reviewed 10 August 2011

I've been coming to Pipestem since before I could drive myself there. First the good: the state park has a lot to do. Two golf courses, two pools, mini golf, horseback riding, archery, hiking, fishing, boating, you name it. The golf courses were in OK shape, but they are well laid out and a lot of fun to play. The tram trip down the mountain to the Mountain Creek Lodge is worth the trip. We had an amazing gorge view room on the 7th floor. If you decide to go, shoot for a 3rd floor gorge view (they have the view and a balcony, with no craziness like the pool on the 4th).
Now, the average: The pool was fine, really busy one day, but empty the next. Probably in search of more revenue, they've started charging for everything (shuffleboard, tennis, etc...).
Now the not so good: the inn needs some work. The beds and pillows are probably 10+ years old (or so my neck told me). No one in our group slept very well during our stay. The service in the Blue Ridge Dining room for breakfast was poor to say the least. There was an overall "moodiness" in the staff. I can probably guess what the management is like.

It's really a shame - the park itself is a lot of fun. I've been to few places with as much opportunity to do so many different things in one place. The view is amazing. Sitting on the balcony as the sun sets is very peaceful. I'm speculating that there's been a funding decrease that's caused the park system in WV to be hit hard. I'm hoping when the economy turns around they start funding it again. It's just in need of a face lift in the rooms and in the service.

Room Tip: Shoot for a gorge view on the 3rd floor (view, peace, and a balcony).
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 August 2011

Skip the stay at this resort as the rooms are not a good value and are worn and not particularly clean --- Go directly to the incredible restaurant at the bottom of the mountain. The chef at the "Mountain Creek Dining Room" provides superior presentation with excellent menu items. Taking the tram down to the restaurant provides are unique experience and nature can be viewed from the huge windows while having your courses. This is a very upscale restaurant.

Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Geri L
Reviewed 9 August 2011

First off, I love PIpestem State Park. This place has so much to do and views you cannot get anywhere else for the money you will spend. I have been coming for years and will probably return. That said, the McKeever Lodge needs a serious overhaul. I like the lodge itself, but it needs some interior updates and a thorough cleaning. I would be willing to pay a little more for the stay if these things were done! In addition, the dining room at the lodge used to be much better. Everything seems instant and microwaved now, and the service is lacking as well. I got up to refill the coffee myself, which frankly I really don't mind doing. Because of the fantastic views and activities offered at the park, I will definitely return. I will probably tent camp next time though!

Room Tip: Pick a gorge view room with balcony... the 7th floor gorge view doesn't have balconies.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 August 2011

We have had our 80+ person family reunion at Pipestem every 3 years since 1987. The rooms that were decent in 1987 haven't changed a bit since then-- no new paint, no new bathroom fixtures, no new decor, no new nothing!
Unfortunately, we had to eat breakfast twice in the main dining room in McKever Lodge, and it was barely edible each time. The eggs tasted like powder, and the french toast was cold. We had to work to get a our server to bring a refill on coffee.
I hope we can find another place to go next time. Pipestem is so obviously a state-run "resort," if it can really be called that, and I'd prefer to spend time and money elseswhere.

Room Tip: Top floor view is lovely
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pipestem
The Resort at Glade Springs
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Beckley
Hampton Inn Princeton
Hampton Inn Princeton
#2 of 15 in Princeton

Been to Pipestem Resort State Park? Share your experiences!