“Big room shared it with some stink bugs”

Holiday Inn Express Charles Town
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Ranson
Manassas
“Big room shared it with some stink bugs”
Reviewed 19 November 2013

First time staying at this Holiday Inn and it was quite an experience. It was a girlfriends overnight trip and we stayed in a two double bed with a sleep sofa. (Don't bother with the sleep sofa, bring an air mattress instead…it is extremely uncomfortable.) It started with a couple of stink bugs hanging out in our beds, to be woken by the music that greets you when you arrive to check in and ended with being told we couldn't get a receipt because I booked and pre-paid through a 3rd party (I booked and pre-paid through Holiday Inn) and having a hold placed against my credit card for the cost of the room that was pre-paid plus an additional 10 dollars for incidentals. I can handle a few creepy bugs, heck they get in my house. Management needs to seriously consider turning the volume down on the outside music; we thought a band was in the parking lot at 8:30 in the morning. And finally, with technology today there is absolutely no reason why I had to wait for 20 minutes to get a receipt that clearly showed I booked through Holiday Inn and no excuse for close to 200.00 dollars being held against my credit card for a room that was pre-paid. So the call to the hotel went something like this, Sorry it is up to your bank to release the funds…of course these are the funds that Holiday Inn put a hold on. There is no Manager available to speak with but one would be in touch with me first thing Monday…Ten days and still waiting to hear from a Manager. Long story short, we slept with bugs, was woke too early by Hotel music and I didn't have access to 200.00 for 5 days and my number 1 issue is no follow-up by Management…The Pro's to this hotel is spacious rooms, excellent hot and cold breakfast and it was clean.

Room Tip: Stay away from the rooms that face the main parking lot. You can hear the outdoor music and it is l...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Mandy L
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Charles Town, responded to this review, 5 December 2013
Dear Mandy L,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Ranson.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed 17 November 2013

I've been a regular in Charles town for many years, but this was my first stay at the Holiday Inn. I was very pleased with the room for comfort and quietness. The staff is wonderful and always cheerful with a greeting and offer to help. I'll be back!!!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Mitchellville, Maryland, United States
Reviewed 25 October 2013

This holiday is a great alternative to staying at the Charlestown Inn for a great price. The hotel is one block from Hollywood Casino at Charlestown. The hotel has a lobby bar, refrigerator and coffee pot in the room. The rooms are clean and the bed is comfortable. Stayed here a couple of times. I recommend this hotel for a great stay with a very reasonable price.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rey W
Powhatan, Virginia
Reviewed 12 October 2013

We like to stay where there is a breakfast served. This had an excellent buffet with several items to chose from. Great coffee. Room was spacious (large enough for a baby's bed to be set up or play area for little ones), clean; comfortable bed and linens. Bathroom clean, well stocked. Easy access. Close to casino and restaurants. Not far from lots of outdoor activities and Harper's Ferry. Free Wi-Fi. Would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Fort Washington, Maryland
Reviewed 29 September 2013

I have stayed at other Holiday Inn Express hotels and this one had a few flaws. When I arrived in my room a lamp was not working and the clock was flashing. I called the front desk and the front desk clerk came quickly to check the lamp. I am not sure of the problem because I was checking the other two lamps. She got it to work and reset the clock. The first night I heard alot of highway noise. In this hotel there was not alot of difference in the soft and firm pillows--both seemed soft. Food on the Express Start Breakfast was good. One morning the pancake maker was not working well and my pancake was spongy. At checkout the clerk did not process customers in the order of arrival. I have seen others write good reviews for this hotel but I was disappointed in it.

Room Tip: My room was located on the second floor overlooking the pool. I looked out the window and could see...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Charles Town, responded to this review, 14 October 2013
Dear Barbara207,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. It is good to know our hotel staff was able to assist you with your needs. However, I apologize if your stay was negatively affected by the room amenities, condition of pillows and breakfast items received. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future.

Thank you again and we hope you will allow us an opportunity to better serve your needs in the near future.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 31 August 2013

This hotel exceeded our expectations. The rooms were very clean, the free breakfast was great, the free Wi-Fi was convenient, and swimming in the the pool was a nice way to end the day. Oh yeah, the afternoon cookies were a nice treat for our kids.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
ny
Reviewed 29 August 2013 via mobile

We stayed here while my husband was traveling for business. The room was very large, the breakfast was great (included). The breakfast area workers are so friendly and helpful.

There is a nice pool which is kept clean.

No restaurant in the hotel buts lots within a short drive.

The only negative is the housekeeping staff were not as attentive as they could be. Although our room was clean when we arrived, the daily cleaning wasn't thorough. Crumbs remained on the floor and the tables/ desk were not wiped down.
Even worse was when someone clearly dropped cookies or crackers in the main hallway and the crumbs were dispersed by people walking. These crumbs remained in the hallway for 5 days ( and were still there when we left). There was no way to miss this mess.

• Stayed July 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ranson
Hampton Inn & Suites Charles Town
#1 of 3 in Shepherdstown
Quality Inn & Suites
Quality Inn & Suites
#1 of 1 in Kearneysville

Been to Holiday Inn Express Charles Town? Share your experiences!