“Pleasant experience” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Ranson
Vicenza, Italy
“Pleasant experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2009

Staying here was a great surprise. It was clean, comfortable, and easily accessible. The staff is helpful and friendly. Since we were working during the day, it was great to relax in the pool and sleep in a comfortable bed with good quality sheets. I loved the choice of firm or soft pillows. We stayed there four different times and in different rooms during our time in the area. Each was equally comfortable. Breakfast was pretty standard but gave a good start to the day in a large lovely "living room" area. Kudos to the staff and management for giving the Charles Town area a good reasonably priced hotel. PS - Though I didn't go to races, it's close and the shuttle's quite convient.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Somerville, New Jersey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2009

I am a frequent traveler (25% for work and 10% plus for leisure) and normally have great luck with the Holiday Inn Express. My husband and I decided to meet my brother to go to the horse races and Harper's Ferry.

Positives: The room was very nice. It was clean and had a refrigerator and microwave. We found the bed comfortable. The location was close to the races and to Harpers Ferry.

Negative: This is one of the noisiest hotels I have ever stayed at. Due to the slots at the Charles Town Casino, people tend to stay out late and the walls are thin. Both nights, we had neighbors that were extremely loud at 1:00 in the morning coming back from the casinos. To make matters worse, my brother drove 4 1/2 hours Sat. and was leaving Sunday. He got a room near a large bachelor party. When he checked out, the manager asked if everything was ok. He said not really. They admitted that security had been called several times during the night to the loud room. However, nothing was done. They didn't shut down the bachelor party. They just seemed to say sorry about your bad luck. No offer of a discount or anything to compensate for their poor management.

Due to the noise, I checked out a day early. They don't care because it is one of the few hotels in the area. We were in two different parts of the hotel and both rooms were loud. Next time, I will stay in Martinsburg and drive the 20 minutes to the track.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank slp0704
Salisbury, Maryland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2009

I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights during a conference in Harper's Ferry, WV. The hotel is very nice and the front desk staff was very polite. The breakfasts were excellent with alot to choose from including cereals, eggs, bacon, sausage, pastries, breads, fruits and others. I was a huge fan of the mandarin orange fruit cups but not a fan of the sausage gravy/biscuits (I know it's a Southern thing, but YUCK!)

I have two concerns with this hotel though:

1.) The mattresses are extremely firm and the first time I got on the bed, I felt like I was lying on the sidewalk. Each morning when I woke up, I was very stiff and achy. This is not a good place to stay if you are used to soft beds.

2.) Despite the shower heads being excellent, the hotter you have the water, the more you hear a very annoying screeching sound coming from the shower pipes. Not sure if this is a pressure issue or what, but my showers were not very relaxing.

All-in-all, this is not a bad place to stay, but be sure to know that if you cannot sleep on a firm mattress, this place should be avoided.

• Liked — Great breakfast selection, large rooms
  • Disliked — ultra-firm mattresses, noisy showers, Dirty Doris eating jelly from couch cushion!
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank ripcurled1
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2009

My husband and I decided to take a one night trip to Charles Town Races and Slots, but we wanted a nicer hotel than most of the motels in the area. We got a jacuzzi suite, and couldn't be happier with our decision.

The check in was very easy, and the front desk associates were out-of-their-way friendly to us. Ther were cookies in the lobby when we got there.

Our room was very spacious and had a comfy king size bed, mini-frig and microwave... and of course the jacuzzi :-)

Breakfast in the morning was fantastic. They had hot options like bacon, eggs and bagels, as well as cold cereal and doughnuts. They even had the flavored coffee creamer singles that I love.

Charles Town Races and Slots also provides a shuttle to and from all hotels in the area for free. Although this hotel was only about a mile away, it was nice to not have to drive and worry about parking or drinking.

I would definetely stay at this hotel again.

• Liked — Very friendly staff
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
Enfield, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2008

Picked the Holiday Inn Express Charles Town because of the other reviews and previous experience w/HI Express. I was visiting friends so was not interested in the slots and track.

Experience was similar: front desk friendly, customer service very good (I was having problems printing my airline ticket. A hotel ee walked by and come into the room to help me.), room & bathroom clean, very good breakfast (included hot items), location very good (a little confusing to find but once there it is convenient to the highway, shopping area and track, town is nearby), and is in a quiet location. The only reason I gave 4 stars is that as mentioned the hallway did have a cigarette smell but the room was fine and comfortable.

• Stayed October 2008, travelled with friends
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2008

I was very impressed with how clean our room was - nearly spotless! And sooo much room! I think they could've fit two rooms in the space they allowed for just one! The front desk staff was friendly and welcoming as were the housekeeping staff. When you stay, make sure not to miss their breakfast, complete with yummy cinnamon rolls and a wide variety of cereals, eggs, pastries, etc. Good location near Charlestown slots...not walkable, but nearby. There is also an Applebee's adjacent to the property. Only complaint is that the hallways smelled like smoke...but our room didn't so that was fine.

• Liked — Clean rooms
  • Disliked — Hallways smelled like cigarette smoke
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled on business
pa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2008

i had advanced rooms booked for my stay 3 smoking rooms,got there they gave one of my rooms away and changed my rooms,what is the since in advanced booking when this happens,will never stay there again.also gave us a handicap room that smelled so bad didnt get any sleep all night,

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — service rooms
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank yourtravels
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ranson
Hampton Inn & Suites Charles Town
#2 of 3 in Shepherdstown
Quality Inn & Suites
Quality Inn & Suites
#1 of 1 in Kearneysville

Been to Holiday Inn Express Charles Town? Share your experiences!