“Very nice staff”

Holiday Inn Express Charles Town
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Ranson
Reviewed 28 April 2010

The staff and service at this hotel was very nice. Everyone from the people at the front desk, to the maid service, to the ladies in the complimentary breakfast bar and even the maintanence man you passed in the hallway were all warm and friendly. The hotel was clean and one could see that the staff continues to work on making your stay an enjoyable one. Probably the best hotel for your money in the Charles Town / Ranson, WV area.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank WVTraveler26836

Reviewed 15 September 2009

Took our money- $225.00 worth becasue they said we smoked in a non smoking room...we did not...beware when you initial that you won't smoke in their non-smoking room...it doesn't matter if you don't smoke...they will charge you $75.00 per night if THEY decided you smoke!! Rip off!!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank powerslam
Reviewed 20 August 2009

We stayed over on a Friday night. Well apparently the hotel gets a 2:30 a.m. trash pickup on Fridays that woke me straight out of a deep sleep. My mother, who was staying on the other side of the hotel, was awoken also. The next morning, my mom asked the front desk staff if this was normal to which they replied it was and there was nothing they could do about it. I have never heard of 2:30 a.m. trash pick up!

The hallway of our room was kept at 62 degrees. We kept the AC off in our room most of the time to counter what was coming in from the hall.

On the positive side, we enjoyed the pool, business center, and complimentary cookies.

Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ElonGal
Reviewed 2 July 2009

Staying here was a great surprise. It was clean, comfortable, and easily accessible. The staff is helpful and friendly. Since we were working during the day, it was great to relax in the pool and sleep in a comfortable bed with good quality sheets. I loved the choice of firm or soft pillows. We stayed there four different times and in different rooms during our time in the area. Each was equally comfortable. Breakfast was pretty standard but gave a good start to the day in a large lovely "living room" area. Kudos to the staff and management for giving the Charles Town area a good reasonably priced hotel. PS - Though I didn't go to races, it's close and the shuttle's quite convient.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 May 2009

I am a frequent traveler (25% for work and 10% plus for leisure) and normally have great luck with the Holiday Inn Express. My husband and I decided to meet my brother to go to the horse races and Harper's Ferry.

Positives: The room was very nice. It was clean and had a refrigerator and microwave. We found the bed comfortable. The location was close to the races and to Harpers Ferry.

Negative: This is one of the noisiest hotels I have ever stayed at. Due to the slots at the Charles Town Casino, people tend to stay out late and the walls are thin. Both nights, we had neighbors that were extremely loud at 1:00 in the morning coming back from the casinos. To make matters worse, my brother drove 4 1/2 hours Sat. and was leaving Sunday. He got a room near a large bachelor party. When he checked out, the manager asked if everything was ok. He said not really. They admitted that security had been called several times during the night to the loud room. However, nothing was done. They didn't shut down the bachelor party. They just seemed to say sorry about your bad luck. No offer of a discount or anything to compensate for their poor management.

Due to the noise, I checked out a day early. They don't care because it is one of the few hotels in the area. We were in two different parts of the hotel and both rooms were loud. Next time, I will stay in Martinsburg and drive the 20 minutes to the track.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank slp0704
Reviewed 2 February 2009

I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights during a conference in Harper's Ferry, WV. The hotel is very nice and the front desk staff was very polite. The breakfasts were excellent with alot to choose from including cereals, eggs, bacon, sausage, pastries, breads, fruits and others. I was a huge fan of the mandarin orange fruit cups but not a fan of the sausage gravy/biscuits (I know it's a Southern thing, but YUCK!)

I have two concerns with this hotel though:

1.) The mattresses are extremely firm and the first time I got on the bed, I felt like I was lying on the sidewalk. Each morning when I woke up, I was very stiff and achy. This is not a good place to stay if you are used to soft beds.

2.) Despite the shower heads being excellent, the hotter you have the water, the more you hear a very annoying screeching sound coming from the shower pipes. Not sure if this is a pressure issue or what, but my showers were not very relaxing.

All-in-all, this is not a bad place to stay, but be sure to know that if you cannot sleep on a firm mattress, this place should be avoided.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank ripcurled1
Reviewed 31 January 2009

My husband and I decided to take a one night trip to Charles Town Races and Slots, but we wanted a nicer hotel than most of the motels in the area. We got a jacuzzi suite, and couldn't be happier with our decision.

The check in was very easy, and the front desk associates were out-of-their-way friendly to us. Ther were cookies in the lobby when we got there.

Our room was very spacious and had a comfy king size bed, mini-frig and microwave... and of course the jacuzzi :-)

Breakfast in the morning was fantastic. They had hot options like bacon, eggs and bagels, as well as cold cereal and doughnuts. They even had the flavored coffee creamer singles that I love.

Charles Town Races and Slots also provides a shuttle to and from all hotels in the area for free. Although this hotel was only about a mile away, it was nice to not have to drive and worry about parking or drinking.

I would definetely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ranson
Hampton Inn & Suites Charles Town
#1 of 1 in Kearneysville
Econo Lodge Harpers Ferry
Econo Lodge Harpers Ferry
#2 of 3 in Harpers Ferry

Been to Holiday Inn Express Charles Town? Share your experiences!