Hillbilly Haven Log Cabin Rentals
US$85
Glenville Inn(Glenville)
No availability for your dates from our partners
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsrented cabinsfire pitstonewall jacksonamazing weekendgas grillfull kitchenstonewall resortfishingauntstovemotorcycle
Reviewed 17 October 2011

FILTHY!!! The carpets were dirty, the hot tub smelled bad. The well water was yellow and smelled like it came from a stagnate pond. The very small love seat was worn, dirty and the springs were broken in the back. The cushions on the chairs around the table were extremely dirty. The bathroom smelled like urine, everything was very dusty. Right across from the cabin was a large metal building that had 3-4 piles of garbage consisting of furniture, an old range and misc. junk, a bulldozer and wood spliter. The jets on the hot tub were no where near therapeutic, if you layed your back on them they did not have enough pressure to push thru. We have 4 children and twin grandchildren so were looking for some alone time. This cabin was way overpriced, should have only been about $50.00 a night - the same as a 1 star hotel.

Room Tip: Not the just for 2 cabin
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DRS6
Reviewed 17 February 2011

My husband and I booked the "Almost Heaven" Cabin at Hillbilly Haven for a Valentines Day "getaway". Being the parents of 6 children, we very seldom get a chance to do something like this by ourselves. We arrived at Midway Mart early, around 3:15. The clerk told us the cabin must be ready because the keys were there, gave us the keys, showed us the road to take and told us to follow the signs. We went out a very "battered" road with plenty of mud and very little shale. Found a post but the sign was missing. Eventually we found "Almost Heaven" listed as secluced, romantic and private within full veiw of several houses that were occuppied. The "cleaning" people were still there working so we decided on a drive to the lake. Upon arriving back to the cabin around 4:15 we found a car still parked in the driveway, which we later found out belongs to the maintance man who LIVES in the shack no more than 50-60 FEET from "Almost Heaven" and the private, secluded HOT TUB is on the back porch within veiw from the windows of the shack. The only thing closing in the hot tub is lattice. We carried our stuff in, walking through mud and then 3-4 inches of ice from water which had run off the roof and piles of snow on the sidewalk. It was clear that noone had tried to clean it off before our arrival. Inside the cabin was very cold, noone had turned the heat on before our arrival either. The upstairs floors were sticky and dust and hair had built up around the railings. By 4:35 we realized that we had NO television. We made a call to "managment" which in turn is whoever is on shift at the MIdway Mart. The clerk told me "I get aggrivated with this cabin stuff" so I assumed I wasn't the first to complain!! The clerk informed me that they would TRY to contact the maintenance man. We waited for 20 minutes for him to walk over and check the TV. When he still hadn't shown up we decided to go have dinner. We arrived back at the cabin around 6:15. Trying not to let the negative ruin our trip we decided to try the "HOT TUB" . Only to find that is was not even as warm as a luke warm bath. At this point we decided our stay at "Almost Heaven" was over. We made arragments to stay somewhere else and turned our keys back in at the Midway Mart by 7:00 pm. I told the clerk that we were leaving and that we were going to dispute the charges to our credit card. She made a phone call and told me someone would call us at home the next day. The "store manager" from Midway Mart has made two phone calls to my residence. The first time he spoke to my father who was at our home watching our children. Informing HIM that we wouldn't be getting a refund for ANY of our money. I returned to phone call telling the clerk that I wanted a return call from the OWNER of HIllbilly Haven Cabin Rentals to call me back. NOT the store manager. The next day the SAME store manager called me again. Told me that they wouldn't be giving us a refund, and that he had 2 guys out there working and they said the hot tub was fine. When I asked him if he had been out there to check it he told me no. He also informed me that the floors were sticky because they used Murphy's Oil Soap to clean them but could not justify to me why the dust and hair would be stuck to them. So much for managment?!!? When I asked him for a number to contact Mr. Pingley I was told that they couldn't give me a number and if I wanted his e-mail address I could look it up myself. It has been 4 days and Mr. Pingley has made NO effort to contact us. I have been forced to take legal action and I suggest anyone else who has had the same issues to do the same. After much more research we have noticed that some of the same problems we had also existed as far back as 2006.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
8  Thank TaraMitchell-Graham
HHRick, Owner at Hillbilly Haven Log Cabin Rentals, responded to this reviewResponded 1 March 2011

I am sorry this guest was not pleased with his recent stay. I take comments very seriously and make every effort to make visits enjoyable. I have refunded this guest's money because of the problems they reported.

I am committed to running a first-class vacation destination, and do the best that I can do. I have made some changes in the cleaning staff, and my manager will be personally inspecting cabins randomly to assure the cleaning is first class. Additionally, I have counseled my employees on customer care.

If guests read these reviews and have any questions, please contact Hillbilly Haven Log Cabin Rentals -- I’ll be happy to provide names of MANY satisfied, return customers. Also, when cabins are not rented, I will be happy to open them to let guests see inside if they have any questions about them, and they can form your own opinion.

Please be aware that the comment above was made by wife(?) of the one who made the next comment. My employee on duty called me when they reported the TV outage. I told her to move them to another cabin. I didn't realize until the next day that they had left.

They called the office several times after they left, and I was told they were hateful with my employees. I decided that since they were acting this way, I was not going to subject myself to their abuse. Many of the comments they made are unfounded.

These people apparently searched the internet and found people who had made positive comments about us. They then contacted them, trying to do damage to our reputation. One of the persons they contacted, who has been a loyal customer since we have been in business, sent me the following note: “I do not think I would have refunded his money over no TV -- after all he should have been more interested in the person he had come with for Valentine’s Day instead of the TV anyways.”

Granted the TV was out of service. I became aware of it on Friday evening. My crew worked on it over the weekend, and were in contact with Dish Network. They were unable to fix it until Monday. A new line was run, and the TV is now working fine. Problems like this happen at ALL properties, and nobody can control it.

I had my employees to inspect the cabin after these peoples' stay, and they found no problems with the cabin other than the TV. It is winter here ….. there will be ice, mud, etc. That is the case everywhere in the winter. The hot tub was fine. The floor was not dirty as they stated. Their negative review was unjustified.

We are not perfect. No place is perfect. Stonewall Resort is a four diamond resort about a mile from my property. They get comments from people like this, but they have thousands of satisfied customers, just like we do. Our occupancy rate tells the story!

Reviewed 14 February 2011

Married with 6 children, my wife and I decided to get a sitter for the kids and spend Valentines Day at a secluded cabin, oh boy did we get the suprise of our lives. If only we would have searched for reviews before paying upfront. We rented cabin # 7 Almost Heaven so they called it, Rick Pingley you will have to stand before god and answer for that line of bull one day. And by the way I,m still waiting on your return phone call myself. We left and stayed at the Holiday Inn in Weston, which by the way was very nice. We asked for a refund and got the runaround. The # 7 cabin is advertised as private,remote and romantic. There was a small building 60' away from the outside so called hot tub, we learned when we called to get the satelite fixed that the maintenance man stayed there which explained the strange car parked at our cabin, assuming by the cooler of beer on his porch he must have been sleeping one off becuase he never showed up to fix the satelite. You can see 6 houses and several cabins from the front porch. We had to walk through mud to get to the sidewalk and then ice 3" thick on the steps from the runoff of the roof. First class vacation cabins, not even close.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank DennisGraham
HHRick, Owner at Hillbilly Haven Log Cabin Rentals, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2011

I am sorry this guest was not pleased with his recent stay. I have made some changes in the cleaning staff, and my manager will be personally inspecting cabins randomly to assure the cleaning is first class. Employees were dispatched to repair the tv, but the cable leading from the dish had to be replaced. This was done on the Monday following this visit. I take comments very seriously and make every effort to make visits enjoyable. I have refunded this guest's money because of the problems he reported.

Potential guests are invited to call toll free at 866-652-3379 to get a list of MANY satisfied customers. Also, you are invited to visit the property at any time, and we will be glad to show you the cabins and the quality we attempt to maintain.

Reviewed 14 February 2011

My family and I (4 adults in all) had hoped to stay in the Almost Heaven Cabin at Hillbilly Haven for a relaxing weekend getaway. However we were more than dissapointed. When we first arrived we ran into problems literally before stepping into the house and things kept going down hill from there. There was a solid sheet of ice and snow on the front steps at least 6 inches deep. Never once shoveled or salted before we arrived. The establishment informed us that we were the first family to have rented this cabin in months, so there was no up keep maintance during the winter. They did very little to prepare this cabin for our stay.
Opening the cabin was even more disgraceful. Mud all over the floors, not so much as swept or mopped. Dead beetles and moths laid on the floors for us to step on and cob webs hung from the walls and ceiling like dust curtains. The ceiling fan looked as though fuzzy hair was growing on the blades.
Inspecting the beds we found to be the worst. The sheets, pillows, and comforters were just as dirty. We had found hair, dead bugs, and even evidence that a critter had slept in the downstairs bed. A nut was inside the sheets and the bed mat was torn and disguisting. They never changed or washed our linens.
The motto for the weekend was "it's not working!!" The tv would not work, even after 3 maintaince men attempting to work on it. The freezer did not work and the fridge hardly kept our groceries cold enough. The "HOTTUB" was dirty and the water remained luke warm. Cigerette buds were left all over the back porch and the grill was crusted with God knows what. The maintaince man lives in the small cabin right beside the Almost Heaven and has full views from his windows to the hot tub and inside the cabin, Not very private!!
Rugs were desperately needed for walking into the cabin and getting out of the hottub. The floors are constantly wet and SLIPPERY!!! Not ideal for ederly and young children. Thankfully we brought our own.
It's a shame because this could be a nice cabin. For the price we paid it was not worth it!!The cleaning and maintaince needs much improvement!!! We were told time and time gain that the owner would be notified of our problems but we never heard back.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank TravelGirl2504

Some of the comments made by this guest are not valid. I personally contacted this guest and apologized for the problems. I am very committed to operating a first-class vacation destination.

Reviewed 25 June 2010

We stayed in Cabin 1 and found everything we needed there. It was nice to have the pond right in front of us so we could flip a line in every now and again. We saw a red fox and deer. We used the fire pit every night (3 nights) and roasted marshmallows. It was a wonderfully relaxing time. We used the gas grill once and found that it had plenty of gas in it for us to use. We plan on staying there again in 2010 in late summer but will bring our boat this time as most of the fishing destinations you could not get to by walking there. The only thing that I would suggest would be to bring your own wood for the fire pit if you plan on using it. If you forget, the store nearby has some that you can purchase in a bundle. The cabins were the cheapest that we could find around and well worth the price! Thanks for a great time!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple