“Rustic but not worth it”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Roanoke
Hillbilly Haven Log Cabin Rentals
Reviewed 22 July 2013 via mobile

We were looking for fun rustic cabin. A place to fish and relax. We paid extra for a cabin with a hot tub we would of been better off sitting in the bath tub inside. The cabin was cute and clean but for sleeping six there was no room for sitting inside and relaxing at night with one love seat and a rocking chair. We had so many issues with the hot tub everyday we had to have some one come to fix it. One day they actually used a penny to jam in the door to keep the motor running. One day we had no water. Getting to the cabins u needed four wheel drive because the dirt roads were half washed away and full of ruts. I like an adventure just as much as anyone but this was rediculous!!!

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank kathleennana
There are newer reviews for Hillbilly Haven Log Cabin Rentals

Reviewed 12 July 2013

Hillbilly Haven in is not quite as advertised. If you’re looking for a place and willing to spend $160/night (with tax), look elsewhere. The owner advertises “newly built”, well maybe 8-10 years ago. He advertises “exceptionally clean”, not quite. Let me give you a real description ….

First the good:
* The cabin structure is beautiful and nicely laid out, plenty of room. A/C, Satellite TV, hot tub, and a whirlpool tub, quite honestly, I wouldn’t mind owning a cabin like that, but let me give you the real picture in a bit.
* Cleanliness, overall pretty clean except for the furniture, I'll address that later.
• The check-in staff was great and the store is convenient with plenty of this and that, just get there before 9pm.
• The maintenance staff was pretty good; they addressed any concerns quickly such as our hot tub. They were in the middle of working on it from the previous day when we arrived.
• The A/C unit is new and worked very well.
• The unit has an over and under washer and drier, very convenient.
• They will let you check in early if the cabin is ready.
• Everything that you need, with the exception of enough hooks in key places to hang things, is already here.
• The description warns about the well water, it starts out brown once in a while but it really was no issue. Good to drink, no smell, no issue.
• Hillbilly Haven is within 2-3 miles of Stonewall Resort, $3 at the resort gets you a day pass, $6 gets you a day pass with boat launch privileges, good meals, unfortunately no pass gets you pool privileges.

The REAL description (Cabin #5):
• The road down into the place is a mess, good luck in the winter. Potholes, washouts, bumps, not maintained well at all.
• The main bed is completely shot and sags horribly in the middle, you can barely sleep on it. As I write this, my back still hurts!
• The upstairs beds were in good condition yet very cheap mattresses, a backache waiting to happen.
• One cabin ceiling fan works for a while and then quits, the other barely works.
• The seal in the thermopane window in the front door is broken and fogged, the rest of the windows were filthy.
• The couch and love seat are completely shot! You feel like you will fall thru them when you sit on them, not to worry, there is a big metal bar that stops you. The couch cover is shot and ripped in multiple places; it was so gross we put a towel on it because we didn’t what to sit on it. There were food crumbs on the couch when we arrived, so much for “exceptionally clean” in the description.
• The cabin had a strong odor of diesel fuel that never went away, I can’t explain that one. I did get bit by some flea-looking think when I first sat on the couch, maybe they just fogged the place but that is purely a guess.
• I would not use the jet tub in the bathroom, it’s good enough for showering, but has brown residue from well water all around the jets and the intake.
• The water control in the tub/shower was shot; it took almost as much time to get the temperature set without burning yourself as it did to take a shower! The handle flops around and the temperature control is very touchy.
• The satellite TV half of the time didn’t work, not many channels when it does, and it constantly got locked up. I guess it was better than nothing, but not much.
• The appliances, although new and in good working order, are the largest collection of inexpensive junk appliances I have ever seen, Holiday, Roper, and Coby. If you push on the microwave door without even setting a timer, it starts itself and runs, probably not safe. I have never seen a microwave that displayed 0 all of the time and didn’t even have a clock.
• The owner is so “cost conscience” that he turns off the electric hot water tank and A/C even on a 90 degree day when he knows that tenants are coming in. It takes a good day to get the place comfortable and evenly cooled; there is NO insulation in the ceiling. He even unplugs all $8 clock radios so they don’t use electricity, half of the digits are burnt out anyway!
• The owner states in the book that if he catches you with A/C or heat ON and the windows open, he will charge you extra.
• The book in the cabin tells you that if you break anything, he will charge you for it; I assume even drinking glasses and plates.
• There is no heat other than a gas fireplace in the corner, which overheated at some point and burnt the wood next to it.
• The 20 year old hot tub is a mess, the controls don’t work, and the tub was disassembled, dirty, and low on water when we got there. We were later told “this is an old tub, it never bubbled before and we just fixed it”. The cover is waterlogged and disintegrating, flaking into the tub. The water level drops, we had to refill it every day… and no, we didn’t splash it out, it was however “hot” and now bubbly. If the cabin is “newly constructed” as stated, or even 10 years old, the owner bought the tub used somewhere.
• The back yard around the fire ring is a muddy mess with all kinds of remnants of previous tenants. Half burnt logs, a beer can or two, never cleaned up.
• The “gas grille” is also a piece of junk, something that looks like it was drug out of the trash pile somewhere.
• The “stocked fishing pond” that they advertise is a nasty duck pond that is probably 70 feet long full of nasty looking water.
• They “playground” is a cheap wooden little climb up thing with a slide.
• They claim that the cabins are “private” … well, not really, they’re all next to each other. Cabin 5 is pretty private in the summer and the upper cabins probably can’t look down into your hot tub, I would guess in the winter and fall they could.

In conclusion, if you’re looking for a place to have a frat party, this is probably it. One of the locals smiled when I told him where we were staying, he said "yeh, I’ve been to a few parties there". If you’re looking to get your money’s worth and don’t mind spending $160/night, this is not it. At that price I would expect nice, well kept furniture, a well kept operational hot tub, and everything “exceptionally clean” as the owner claims.

I am not hard to please and I have stayed at cabins like these before and loved it, but I will not be returning to Hillbilly Haven. For the price and unless you have a large group, you can stay at Stonewall Resort and have first class accommodations. The owner has the right idea, a good location, a great cabin structure, and a good starting point, but he needs to step it up quite a bit to compete for the money he’s asking. He will continue to get large groups of partiers that warrant the cheap, somewhat trashed, unmaintained internals of the cabin. Don’t get me wrong, I experienced no partiers while I was there, but I know that it will happen and the locals confirmed it.

This is by no means a grudge review, as a Senior Contributor it's my honest first hand opinion.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank hotrod53
Reviewed 4 July 2013

They did not inform us when we made reservation over phone that they closed at 9. We arived at 11 not knowing they closed at 9 because we were not told. Owner refused to come out and talk to us when we went to complain. Then they lied and said we called when we did not . Staff is unprofessional. They refused to refjnd any of our money. Worst cabin ever. I will never stay here again!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Debbie C
Reviewed 13 May 2013

we rented cabin # 1 for a week . the cabin was very clean and comfy .it was very quiet and relaxing the staff was very helpful and polite . i HIGHLY recommend staying here and they are pet friendly we brought our dog with us . MUCH MUCH better than a hotel .

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank tamars52204
Reviewed 16 July 2012

My husband, son, and I stayed in #4 Cabin for a week and we loved it! It was very clean, peaceful, and the staff were very friendly. I would recommend the cabin to anyone! The beds were very comfortable, it had spacious rooms, and clean! My son loved to fish in the pond near our cabin as well and loved it!!!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank deedeedawn2003
Reviewed 8 January 2012

We have stayed in this area before but this is definitely the best place we have found. The service is wonderful very friendly staff. The cabins were just as described,very nice, clean and comfortable. Lots to do in the area we were very happy with our stay. We will be back!!!

• Stayed: July 2011
1  Thank pattiecake53
Reviewed 17 October 2011

FILTHY!!! The carpets were dirty, the hot tub smelled bad. The well water was yellow and smelled like it came from a stagnate pond. The very small love seat was worn, dirty and the springs were broken in the back. The cushions on the chairs around the table were extremely dirty. The bathroom smelled like urine, everything was very dusty. Right across from the cabin was a large metal building that had 3-4 piles of garbage consisting of furniture, an old range and misc. junk, a bulldozer and wood spliter. The jets on the hot tub were no where near therapeutic, if you layed your back on them they did not have enough pressure to push thru. We have 4 children and twin grandchildren so were looking for some alone time. This cabin was way overpriced, should have only been about $50.00 a night - the same as a 1 star hotel.

Room Tip: Not the just for 2 cabin
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DRS6
Also consider these accommodations in or near Roanoke
Quality Inn
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Buckhannon
Hampton Inn Buckhannon
Hampton Inn Buckhannon
#2 of 7 in Buckhannon

Been to Hillbilly Haven Log Cabin Rentals? Share your experiences!