“Absolutely Excellent”
Review of Organ Cave

Organ Cave
More attraction details
Owner description: Discovered in 1704, Organ Cave is the second longest cave on the east coast, with over 40 miles of passageways.
Reviewed 11 November 2013

I enjoyed the entire tour! We had an amazing guide. He was very entertaining and knowledgable about the caves. The caves themselves were beautiful and very interesting to get to see. Overall the entire trip was spectacular

2  Thank M_HaileyP

Reviewed 2 October 2013

Recently I went to this cave after going to a different one in Lewisburg. Actually my sisters and I stumbled on this one and I am so glad we did! It was so much larger and more interesting. It took several hours for the tour. Be forewarned to wear warm clothing and comfortable shoes for uneven ground. We did feel there were a few inaccuracies so maybe the guide (a guy) could bone up on those details. When I am back in that area I will definitely visit it again with my husband.

3  Thank ktkski
Reviewed 8 August 2013

This is a very interesting cave tour for a reasonable price. It is a guided tour and took our group about 2 hours total. The cave is magnificent. Another reviewer mentioned some historical inaccuracies which may or may not be the case but nonetheless the cave is huge, spectacular, and well worth seeing. The passages wind around and are mostly fairly large. There are portions that have a low ceiling or close side clearance but I recall only 2 areas like that for a short distance. As far as I'm concerned the historical perspective is their opinion and interpretation. Who knows if a specific person visited 150 years ago? Our guide was a little rough around the dges but was very thorough and accommodating with questions. I wouldn't hesitate to stop back and do the tour again just to marvel at the underground spaces. The gift shop had lots to look at and was reasonably priced, too.

4  Thank Pete7919
Reviewed 9 June 2013

We love caves of all types. We purchased the double tour -- the civil war portion and the formation tour. After descending the stairs the young guide said his flashlight was not working properly. We asked him if he wanted to go back and change his batteries, he said no because our flashlight was working fine . Initially this did not seem to be a problem, as the passageways were lit with electric bulbs and we were confident things would be ok. We should have just gone back at that point and had our money refunded. The civil war portion was interesting, but the young guide stated that Robert E. Lee supervised the work his soldiers did in the cave to retrieve salt peter. We are fairly knowlegeble in the matters of Robert E. Lee and his diaries, and he was no where near this cave. It was interesting though to see the troughs the soldiers used to mine in the cave, but once again the guide said all of the equipment was original, however upon close inspection (remeber, we had the flashlight that worked) we found the holes on the frames machine drilled, not pocket knife carved as he stated. We didn't call him on it, or the history of General Lee, we were trying to be kind. Even though much of the equipment were reproductions, it was interesting to see how mining might have occurred. OK, Civil War Tour over, onto the next loop of the cave, formations. This is where the guide began to tell us that his back was hurting, he was tired from previous tours, he was afraid it might be too damp, how he hated climbing stairs and how he wished he was on a "wild cave" tour instead of the other guide leading that tour and how he wished he could join them. About ten minutes into that loop he declared it was too wet to continue--aka--a drop of water fell on his head--and now we would have to turn around because it would be much too dangerous. So, we did. Within minutes of turning around we passed another group going to the exact same area that did not turn around. When we asked him about this he said that that guide was going to be in trouble. We also asked if it were so dangerous, why were your selling tickets for that portion of the tour (you had to buy 2 tickets, one for the civil war, one for the formations) he stated things were ok earlier when he went through, they just are not now...the guide was probably in his late teens and it just seemed that he would rather be someplace else. We asked if we could get a refund for the portion we did not see and he said no. Very disappointing, I would not recommend these tours to anyone. The guide was ill informed and not willing to fullfil his obligations. We did complete about an hour of what was to be a three hour tour.

5  Thank cjk6o
Reviewed 24 November 2012

I took an 8 year old boy on his first caving adventure on the Gypsum Passage expedition. I was a little concerned because caving can be dangerous, but our guide, Janie, was excellent. She was very attentive to his needs and paid close attention at the potentially scary parts. There were no problems.

The expedition itself was pretty low key. It's mostly flat with a large overhead ceiling. There isn't a lot of crawling nor is it very strenuous if you are reasonably fit. There are 3 potential difficult spots. The "birth canal" is about a 6 foot belly crawl that slants upward that might freak you out if you are claustrophobic. There is a ledge to cross coming in that has a steep fall that could get the best of your nerves. There is also a drop of about 12 feet that is a little technical, but if you take your time, you'll be fine. None of it is difficult with the right footwear, but fatigue or fear could get the best of you.

I didn't give it 5 stars because the equipment is old, worn, and not the highest quality, but it's good enough to get through. The scenery is lovely. You'll learn a lot and have a good time. It's definitely worth a look.

2  Thank jez09