“They charge your credit card before you can see the room!”

Americas Best Value Inn - St. Albans / South Charleston
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Saint Albans
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Check-in went smoothly. I was surprised that they charged my credit card right away, and gave me a receipt. We encountered some guy who was high on drugs in the parking lot. The hotel looked rather old from the outside. We were surprised to see that our room had a jacuzzi in it. The room appeared a little dingy, and the carpet was dirty-looking. I probably would have stayed here anyway, but I decided to check the mattress for bed bugs first thing, and it was the dirtiest mattress I have seen in a hotel. Stains, pubic hairs, bug remains. . . Did not feel comfortable sleeping there. I have never done this before, but decided to refuse the room, even though I knew every other hotel in the area was sold out and we had to drive another hour to find a room. But, it wasn't that easy. . . Even though we had not even moved in our suitcases or used the room yet, the front desk clerk refused to refund my money. Even though I was remaining polite, he suddenly became rude and sarcastic. We argued with them for quite some time before the manager agreed to refund our money. It scared us off from this brand hotel, but I am happy to say we have had a very positive experience with another America's Best hotel since that time.

Room Tip: Ask to see the rooms before they charge you, and check the mattress for bed bugs and cleanliness! O...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DLS311
ABVISTALBANS, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn - St. Albans / South Charleston, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

Dear DLS311,

Thank your for sharing a traveler opinion regarding your recent experience with us. I am concerned about the issues you encountered. We are an exterior entrance property located along the river. Since we are located in a natural setting, we do encounter various insects due to this. I am sorry that you did not receive the service that you should expect from us. We normally do not have many complaints about our service or cleanliness. However, we did provide you with a full refund. I am sorry that we could not meet your expectations.

Americas Best Value Inn-St. Albans, WV

Reviewed 29 May 2014

While on vacation from SC, I visited with friends in your area. We did not want to fight Charleston traffic or the hassle of the big city, so we decided to stay at your facility. At first glance I will admit, I was very hesitant, but was quickly relieved when I was greeted with a warm and welcoming smile from the young lady at the front desk. The room was very cozy with a nice fireplace and very comfortable king bed. I woke up to an absolutely gorgeous view of the river. The housekeeping staff was great! I asked for a few extra items and within moments she was bringing me all I needed and said if we needed anything else to feel free to call housekeeping or front office(if late in the day). I was treated like I had been a regular guest for many years. Never have I felt so welcomed. Thank you ladies and gents!! Keep up the great work!!!!

• Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank lilbittytraveler

Dear lilbittytraveler,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us. I am glad that you enjoyed our rooms with a view of the river and our friendly service. We take great pride in our facilities and customer service. We appreciate your patronage.

Americas Best Value Inn-St. Albans, WV

Reviewed 4 May 2014

Didn't mean to stay here but glad I did. Good customer service (housekeeping, getting locked out of room, extending my stay) and good price.

Favorite part was being on the river. Since I was "on walkabout" and just trying to relax it really hit the spot-- there were even a few gazebos with porch swings in them.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Jess R

Dear Jess R,

On behalf of the staff and management, I would like to take a moment and thank you for sharing your feedback with us. Our rooms located along the river are very popular among our guests who also enjoy the scenery. We hope you visit us again next time you are in the area.

Americas Best Value Inn-St.Albans, WV

Reviewed 30 March 2014

We stayed here several weeks ago on a road trip through the Eastern US and this was the worst of 12 hotels we stayed at. It is an older property that hasn't been well maintained. I would have cancelled as soon as I walked into the office due to the stench of tobacco smoke, serious stale and fresh smoke odors but since I arrived too late to cancel we decided to stay. Our room was reasonably clean although musty and unused smelling and the bedding didn't look stained in the dim lighting but the bathroom requires work, a shower could wait for the next hotel. The old TV worked OK and HVAC was fine. There was lots of parking and the view of the river in morning when we opened the door was great. The office still smelled rank when we checked out in the morning.

Room Tip: Find another hotel
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kelly B
ABVISTALBANS, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn - St. Albans / South Charleston, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2014

Dear Kelly B.
Thank you for your recent stay.. We appreciate you taking the time to write a review from your experiance. I'd like to apologize for the lobby having a smoke smell to it we have since moved our outside ashtrays further away from our entrance to the lobby. As you mentioned, the rooms are clean and the sheets are not stained. We do not have Flat screen Tv's but do offer our guest a choice with 75 cable channels along with HBO. The river view is nice to see but it will also cause a lot of moisture to linger in the air along the river side of our hotel. Fortunately, these are issues that can be addressed easily and we have done so.
Thank you again for your stay and review,
Russell - Front Desk Manager

Reviewed 30 December 2013

I typically stay at America's Best Value Inn (St Albans WV) 2 to 3 nights a month.
The staff is friendly and the rooms are clean. They have rooms facing the river with a good view.
Many of the rooms have been completely remodeled. They have new furniture and fixtures.

Usually, if you would like additional toiletries, pillows, towels, etc, a call or visit to the front desk is usually all that's needed.

The hotel lobby has soft drink and snack machines and a machine that dispenses deli sandwiches.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Michael E
ABVISTALBANS, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn - St. Albans / South Charleston, responded to this reviewResponded 1 February 2014

Thank you for your recent stay with us and also, thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to write a review.
It's such a reward when you see that a guest has had a good stay at our hotel. All the departments here work very hard to make sure the guests have an enjoyable stay!.
We look forward to having you as our guest again and hope that you continue staying with us for many years to come.
Best Regards,

Russell - Manager

Reviewed 12 November 2013

I travel a lot and have stayed at a lot of hotels and motels of all them in this area of west Virginia
this inn is great when I come to this area this is the only one I have stayed here multiple times I use sure there is others but some the walls are so thin you can hear people in the other rooms if you know what I mean the staff are great they recommend places to eat and to go to for fun there is a river in the back of the inn I have fished in it there is some big big fish in it yes the bathrooms are a bit small but the rooms are a good size I will keep coming back as long as this inn is here shopping is close by a few miles there is a small bar/restaurant on site good food on the weekends they got live bands do I recommend this for a family yes do recommend it for low prices yes some times getting away from the interstates motels and hotels is really worth it

Room Tip: river side rooms are bigger try the wings at the bar be ready for a good time
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
ABVISTALBANS, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn - St. Albans / South Charleston, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2013

Dear Jonathon h,
Thank you for your recent stay! We are glad that you enjoy your stays with our hotel and look forward to having you stay again. We have just recently completed several projects on the property with the interior as well as the exterior. I't s nice to hear that you have enjoyed your stay.
We look forward to having you and your family stay with us anytime you are in the area
Sincerly,
Russell - Manager

Reviewed 18 June 2013

It was our first trip to West Virginia. Decided to stay a night in Charleston. There are many hotels in downtown, but it seemed little unsafe at night. Keeping our budget in mind, we found a hotel in St. Albans, right on the river.

Huge hotel, extra large room, comfortable beds, old but nice furniture. Only the bathroom is somewhat small and needs to be updated.

Restaurant on site, pool table, bar, grill, They also have bands playing on weekends.
The hotel has a huge building, in a nice peaceful location.

You will enjoy it.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
ABVISTALBANS, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn - St. Albans / South Charleston, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2013

Dear FallsViewNY,

Thank you for taking the time to share a traveler review with us. I am glad that you enjoyed our large rooms and lounge. We hope to see you again in the future!

Russell-Manager
Americas Best Value Inn and Suites-St. Albans, WV

Been to Americas Best Value Inn - St. Albans / South Charleston? Share your experiences!