“Take your business elsewhere, worst customer service experience ever!”
Review of Front Porch

Front Porch
Cuisines: American, Pizza
Good for: Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Buckhannon, West Virginia
“Take your business elsewhere, worst customer service experience ever!”
Reviewed 2 September 2014

If I could give this restaurant zero stars, I would. I have never had a worse customer service experience in my life.

Yesterday, I needed to bring 20 students from Spruce Knob to Buckhannon, WV. Being such a large group, I called last week to let them know we were coming, then we called our order in on Sunday at 11 am when they opened. Six pizzas, one salad, and 5 of the combo appetizer baskets (a selection of fried mozzarella sticks, cauliflower, and zucchini).

When we arrived, I was bringing up the rear of the group and was confronted by the owner. He wanted to confirm that we were the group from Moorefield (we weren't) and rudely told me that we were supposed to be there at 11:30. I said we weren't that group and that we said we would be there between 11:45 and noon. We were five minutes late. He argued that our food was getting cold in the kitchen. I tried to be nice to diffuse the situation, asking what we could do to help. I had all of the students gather up their place settings and go downstairs so we would be out of the way of the families and other customers eating upstairs.

They asked for our drink order and I just ordered waters for everyone to make it easy. I then took a handful of students upstairs to carry down cups and our pizzas. We literally served ourselves. The servers kept apologizing for the owner's behavior.

After we were finished eating, I had the students scrape off their plates onto one empty pan, and about 7 of them walked all of the used plates, pans, serving ware, etc. up the stairs into the kitchen so the wait staff didn't have to make multiple trips down the stairs to clean up.

WHILE THEY WERE CLEANING UP FROM THEIR OWN LUNCH, a woman who I am assuming to be the owner's wife actually yelled at them for BEING IN THE WAY! Hello? They are doing your job for you.

I took pity on the wait staff and put a 20% tip on the $179.51 bill, bringing the total to $215.51. After chastising one of the servers for not knowing how to ring up the order on the cash register in front of me, the owner's wife rang us up.

Before we left, I went downstairs to the general store in search of the owner. I couldn't find him and his employee running the general store checkout didn't know where he was, but tried to apologize for him. When I walked outside ready to leave with the group, the owner came out on the porch smoking a cigar saying he heard I wanted to speak with him.

I told him I felt I was owed an apology for the way he spoke to us when we arrived. He said, "I'm sorry, but.........." (I hate apologies that go that way). He said, "I'm sorry, but you need to be on time." I explained to him that we were 5 minutes late and asked him if he's ever tried to take a group of 20 people anywhere on time. He said that that was a lesson I needed to teach them, that we all needed to learn. He said he had a business to run and if you say you're going to be somewhere at a certain time, then you needed to be there. They (the students) all needed to learn to be on time in their lives. I informed him that I would be taking the students through the area every year on the way back from the retreat center, that I had just spent $215 there in food, and that I would be stopping in Elkins in the future to eat.

I have never been treated so rudely or been spoken to that way in front of so many people. Not only did he not have a problem being rude in front of my students, but several customers/families saw the original rude behavior upstairs when we arrived. I also felt like he was treating me poorly because I look young (I'm 29, but looked about 23-25). I don't think he would have talked to my colleague the same way. I never received a sufficient apology. This cruel man has a monopoly in the area, and I pity all who work for this tyrant. I IMPLORE YOU to take your money and your business somewhere else. There are some great local businesses in Elkins who would appreciate your dollars and your company. I hope a fantastic restaurant opens at Seneca Rocks (even a McDonalds would suffice!) and puts this jerk out of business.

• Visited August 2014
5 Thank Katie L

Haifa, Israel
“Lovely View from the Porch”
Reviewed 27 August 2014

Great views of Seneca Rocks when you sit on the Front Porch. The food is good. Check out the old photos inside and the antique phone. There's a Country Store downstairs to add to the charm.

• Visited September 2013
Silver Spring, Maryland
“Great find”
Reviewed 20 August 2014

This 100-year old building has a hidden treat - an upstairs restaurant with a large outdoor seating area with views of Seneca Rocks. Plus, the homemade pizza is delicious and the service is homey and friendly. Surprised it hasn't made "Road Food" yet...it's that type of place.

Visited August 2014
McConnellsburg, Pennsylvania
“Quaint Restaurant”
Reviewed 29 July 2014

The food was average, not overly pricey- minimal selection- we ate outside- view of Seneca Rocks was nice

Visited July 2014
“Great food friendly service”
Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

We stopped here after 3 days backpacking in Dolly Sods, ready for some real food. We sat on the porch with a great view of the Seneca Rocks. They were very accommodating of our big dog, bringing him water. The food was great. I had a giro of local lamb and cucumber dill sauce. Later we had a pizza, also excellent, made from their fresh dough. A gem in the mountains!

1 Thank Jennifer M