“Campground needs some work” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Yokum's Vacationland

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Seneca Rocks
Yokum's Vacationland
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Seneca Rocks
Fairfax Station, Virginia
“Campground needs some work”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

Goo d for a large group and close to Seneca Rocks but that is where the advantages end. Bathrooms and showers are unsanitary and too small for the number of folks the campground can accommodate. Road noise was also a problem. Recommend you check out the campground in the National Forest.

Room Tip: Choose a campsite away from the road.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank John K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2013

The outside appearance of Yokums motel, situated above its namesake store and deli, would not necessarily sell itself. The building is rustic and situated at a busy intersection, so we didn't arrive with high expectations, particularly after checking in with a rather glum gentleman who wasn't sure at which facility we were booked (the lodging for Yokums is in two separate locations about a mile apart from each other - one that has a pool, a small restaurant, and cabins, and the other with the store) and sent us trekking to the other facility first. But once we confirmed we were at the store location, we were pleasantly surprised by our kitchenette room; it was clean, with a very comfortable bed, refrigerator, microwave, and coffee maker. The television was small (19") and even with satellite service only received about six channels, but we weren't in the area to sit in the room and watch TV, so that was not a major issues for us. The only real room complaint was that it was evident the bathroom fan hadn't been cleaned in quite sometime and circulated very little air. But the view of Seneca Rocks from the balcony was exquisite, and even the collection of semi-wild cats that hung around the building added to the "in the country" feel.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank mgs22720
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2013

First I would like to say that they should offer T-shirts stating "I survived my stay at Yokums Vacation land Hotel." We stayed here after talking to a friend and was told the rooms were not that bad. Come to find out she stayed at the store at one of the kichenette rooms. I figured hey we are only staying one night after riding the motorcycles all day we won't need the bells and whistles and we just need to shower and crash for the night. Oh was I soo wrong. I posted for your enjoyment a picture of our wonderful shower stall. Needless to say I had to ride back 338 miles without a shower and feeling like I would have been better off staying at the Bates motel!! When you first walk in the room the odor is the first thing that assaults you. Imagine if you will the oldest dampest basement that you have ever walked in. Remember that smell? Yep that is what you get here. Next we come to the bed with th lovely stained and wet bed spread. Yes I said wet. After taking it and tossing it off the bed we did discover a pair of fairly decent sheets, with the top sheet put on backwards. Did they change the sheets after the last guest or just flip it over? We will never know. Now to the toilet. Let me just say It looked as though the last customer left stuff behind. Oh and you know the look that toilet paper gets when it is wet. Yep all 3 rolls looked that way. Now to the kicker of them all. The NOTE left by the management that states, "you have 20 minutes from the time you arrive in your room to complain. After that you will be charged full payment. Now my husband and I discussed this in length and truly I would have let them have th 40 plus dollars I just spent, but we were stuck. We had never been to this area, we were bone tired from being on the motorcycles all day, and with our luck we would have rode 30 or so more to be told no vacancy. So we slept fully dresses and clung to each other all night. Oh and I did read some of the reviews sticking up for the place as in such that it is the country blah blah blah. When I booked our stay here I did not have high expectations. I have stayed in rustic cabins with bugs, and musty smells and I don't have issues about using an outhouse. I have been in some fairly nasty outhouses, and they were cleaner than this place.

• Stayed July 2013
7 Thank Aimeeg1972
Phildelphia, PA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2013

We stayed in a room above the store. I thought the room was very well maintained. I was expecting the worst based on other reviews and was pleasantly surprised. The maid service was great, The view was spectacular and the people were really kind. I will definitely be going back if in the area. The only complaint I had was that I could not find a switch to turn out the outside light and the bugs were horrible at night while trying to get in the door.

Room Tip: Spend a little extra and choose the rooms above the store.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Rebekah716
Cumberland, Maryland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2013

Cabins need a big update, cruddy shower, toilet and Jacuzzi. Stayed only about 18 hours long enough to sleep and get out. Cabins close to main road, traffic all night zooming by. When we checked out the girl said she understood and didn't really know if our cabin had been cleaned since the other people left. OMG~ Waiting to get my money back from the second night that was pre paid. Just called them about the refund, said the machine was not working well and to call back on FRIDAY. Do not go there.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Norfolk, Virginia, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2013

In all my travels , I have never seen so shabby,ill maintained, dirty ,dilapidated,un hygienic ,smelly so called lodgings in all my life..the parking lot was cleaner than the room. Cardboard fit into the windows. Mold and grime on all surfaces. We were given room #6 in the old motel with the pool. The paint fell from the ceiling onto the bed when we shut the door wiped it off with a TV guide dated April 2003. Rejecting #6 we took a cabin in the main CG . The only plus was proximity to our event. The amazing thing is that there was not one thing in either place was not broken or shabby.
Rustic is one thing but out and out shabby is something else. Did I mention the fly strips in every room?pubic hairs in towels . We have a new saying. "At least it ain't room 6."

Room Tip: We hear the rooms above store are ok
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Bloochdog
Salisbury, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2013

I stayed in one of the Yokum's cabins for one night. I believe we had cabin number #1, but I am not 100% sure.

The good:
The view from the front of our cabin is about as good as it gets. It is a perfect view of Seneca Rocks. Not too shabby to sit in the hot tub and have that kind of view.
The cabin has lots of beds and could probably sleep at least 8 to 10 people.
Cabin was clean and looked really nice and rustic.
Hot tub was great.

The bad:
Water pressure was terrible. After about 10 minutes in the shower the water just starting trickling out of the shower head. This is not helpful when you have several people wanting to take a shower back to back.
Not enough furniture. In the living room you have one sofa and a kitchen table. That's it.
You can hear everything inside this cabin. We were in one of the bedrooms with the door shut and we could clearly hear our friends upstairs walking and talking - as if they were right outside our door. Not conducive for sleeping.

We paid $225.00 for one night. That was 4 adults and 2 children. The view is great and there is plenty of fun outdoorsy things to do in the area, but some of the drawbacks that I listed above kind of doesn't make the price worth it.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Isaac Jackson Hotel
#2 of 8 in Elkins
Harman's Luxury Log Cabins
Blackwater Falls State Park Lodge

Been to Yokum's Vacationland? Share your experiences!