I pretty much like all-things German, so when I found out about this place I had to go. I booked the cheapest room I could (about $100). The room was a good size, and very comfortable. It was a cold November weekend, and the pool was under construction, so the grounds were not as spectacular as I imagine they will be in the spring, but the late autumn views were still nice. I ate dinner in the rathskeller and had one of the best jaegerschnitzels I've ever had. The inn was also ideally situated to tour Antietam battlefield, and to walk around Shepherdstown - a nice gem of a town.
As for the hospitality, I would suggest a bit more friendliness and information from the check-in folks, such as pointing out the different buildings on the grounds, where to park, and where the restaurant/rathskeller are. A basic orientation.
I am looking forward to returning in May via biking from DC along the canal.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated on a bluff overlooking the Potomac River in Historic Shepherdstown West Virginia on 11 acres. The Bavarian Inn is a AAA Four Diamond Award Winning Dining Room and Hotel Accommodations. Most rooms have breathtaking river views from private balconies, whirlpool baths, and gas fireplaces. Fine German and Continental Cuisine. Wine Spectator "Best of Award of Excellence". Casual Dining and Cocktails in the Rathskellar or on the outdoor garden patio. Walking distance to downtown Shepherdstown and great shopping. Golf Packages available with neighboring and private Cress Creek Country Club. Open 365 days per year. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Odigeo, Priceline and Agoda so you can book your Bavarian Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bavarian Hotel Shepherdstown
- Bavarian Inn Shepherdstown
- Bavarian Restaurant