“OK stay”
Review of Bavarian Inn

Bavarian Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Shepherdstown
Reviewed 13 January 2014

Had a one night stay in November 2013. It was OK, the room appeared like no one had been there in awhile so was musty and dusty. I think if housekeeping had visited before it would have been much better as it had a REALLY nice view of the Potomac and nice fireplace and whirlpool tub. Much construction going on which made the parking lot a bit tight.

The only thing that irked me a little was that we had to wait 15 minutes for someone to show up at the front desk so we could check out. I finally got to the point where I was writing the clerk a note to attach the keys to. She did finally show up.

All in all, it was not a spectacular stay, but I would go back and give it another try.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank scott f
DavidAsam, Owner at Bavarian Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2014

Dear Scott f.
Thank you for your review. Our construction of the new infinity edge pool has an end in sight, and we are looking forward to enjoying it in early Spring. I'm sorry these improvements limited parking during your stay. I will also work with housekeeping and the front desk on the areas mentioned. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. We hope to share our wonderful new amenities and improvements with you soon!

Reviewed 9 January 2014

We took advantage of your January 2014 special and we were not disappointed. The view was awesome. The room was spotless and delightful. Plenty of towels, pillows, etc. Check in was smooth as was the check out. The staff was so kind and helpful. The four course dinner was awesome as was the server Darla. Everything was so relaxing for our mother/daughter visit. We will be back. Thank you for making our stay enjoyable. I did not want to leave.

Room Tip: The Riverside rooms have a great view.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Bennysgoats
DavidAsam, Owner at Bavarian Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2014

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for your kind remarks. I will happily pass them onto our hard working staff, especially Darla. We are so happy the 2014 promotion was enjoyable. We also wish you could have stayed longer, but will look forward to welcoming you back next time!

Reviewed 9 January 2014

I pretty much like all-things German, so when I found out about this place I had to go. I booked the cheapest room I could (about $100). The room was a good size, and very comfortable. It was a cold November weekend, and the pool was under construction, so the grounds were not as spectacular as I imagine they will be in the spring, but the late autumn views were still nice. I ate dinner in the rathskeller and had one of the best jaegerschnitzels I've ever had. The inn was also ideally situated to tour Antietam battlefield, and to walk around Shepherdstown - a nice gem of a town.

As for the hospitality, I would suggest a bit more friendliness and information from the check-in folks, such as pointing out the different buildings on the grounds, where to park, and where the restaurant/rathskeller are. A basic orientation.

I am looking forward to returning in May via biking from DC along the canal.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for your kind remarks. We are so happy you enjoyed your stay and dining experience with us. I will work with the front desk to help promote a better and more informative welcome for our guests. Thank you for this suggestion. We look forward to your return, where you'll also hopefully be able to take advantage of our new pool facility!
Sincerely

Reviewed 3 January 2014 via mobile

My relatives dine here frequently and invest heavily in the region. We stayed in a stink bug filled bed and room. Front desk manager told me to get over it and get a life. We have disputed the stay with our credit card company. Owner was to call, still no call. Bed bug bites all over our body as well. Disgusting stay! Lack of follow up. Really disappointing. If an owner reads this feel free to pick up the phone. 3046207484!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Kurt W
DavidAsam, Owner at Bavarian Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

Dear Curt W.,
I am very sorry to hear of your disappointment. We have tried numerous times to contact you, yet each time the number goes straight to voicemail. We always attempt to provide a great experience for all our guests, and we are sorry that we could not satisfy you. We care greatly about all our guests and treat them each with all due respect and considerations. We truly hope that the rest of your New Year 2014 improves.

Reviewed 30 December 2013

We booked a deluxe room for a one-night stay to visit with friends in the area and dine in Shepherdstown. When we returned from dinner, we found the room occupied by stink bugs! Not just one or two, but a constant stream-- on the bed, in the bathroom, on the ceiling, and by the balcony door. If it hadn't been so late at night, we would have gone somewhere else. When we expressed our dismay while checking out, we we told "sorry" and that they had a problem trying to rid the premises of the pests. The desk clerk, while sympathetic, did not have the authority to knock more than the taxes off the room rate. I asked to speak to a manager but was told to call on Monday--after the weekend. I did, and have not received a return call. Hardly a deluxe experience.

3  Thank Sue L
DavidAsam, Owner at Bavarian Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2014

Dear Sue L,
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. As everyone in the widespread area is aware, we are in constant battle with the pesky stink bugs. As weather changes dramatically, they manage to get into the smallest of crevices. I am greatly sorry that this detracted from your stay with us. We promise to continue to fight the good fight, and eventually win the war against these critters.

Reviewed 17 December 2013

A must experience taste sensation... The Bavarian Inn has a fantastic Sunday Brunch. Authentic cuisine, masterfully prepared with fresh, seasonal and local ingredients, and more than you can possibly sample, in three visits.

The sauerbraten with purple cable and potato balls is so savory and satisfying. The knockwurst, sauerkraut and cabbage is delightful. The charcuterie table is over the top with delicate taurines, duck and goose liver pâté', interesting and delicious remulaudes - the Roquefort mousse on Belgian endive was sensational. Smoked salmon, pickled salmon, salmon mousse, scallops, crab, oysters, shrimp, and on and on and on.

Too many dishes to mention including Egges Benedict, freshly prepared eggs, any style, and everything typically American for breakfast.

Authentic homemade Bavarian pretzels, cream puffs, flan, need I continue...?

It's truly overwhelming, please make a reservation and see for yourself.

Room Tip: Views overlooking the Potomac River, fireplaces in rooms, old world charm, old school manners- outst...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
DavidAsam, Owner at Bavarian Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 19 December 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for the glowing review of our Brunch. It has become extremely popular and we are so glad you enjoyed it. We hope to share many more great dining experiences with you in the near future!

Reviewed 11 December 2013

Everything was perfect
The staff did everything to make our stay most memorable.
The room was very spacious and beautiful,
and the restaurant was top shelf every meal was magnificent.
We will always return, BAVARIAN INN was a self contained oasis!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
DavidAsam, Owner at Bavarian Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2013

Dear Valued Guest,
We are most appreciative of your review, and thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to welcome you back many times in the future!
The Asam Family

Also consider these accommodations in or near Shepherdstown
Quality Inn Shepherdstown
#1 of 1 in Kearneysville
Thomas Shepherd Inn
Thomas Shepherd Inn
#1 of 2 in Shepherdstown

Been to Bavarian Inn? Share your experiences!