We were looking for something special, and intrigued by the non-chain appeal of this hotel. Everything was fine, but not really different from any other hotel. If anything, it was quite overpriced. It may not be clear from the website, but the hotel is composed of four buildings: 2 overlook the Potomac and 2 overlook a parking lot. Originally we were going to stay in one of the two overlooking the Potomac (which may indeed be very nice). When I told the reservation desk that I was looking for something special, she convinced me to stay in the Schwartzwald building with a room with a fireplace, a Jacuzzi and a balcony ($195/night). It was my fault to accept this room: we certainly didn't need a fireplace in June, we aren't really Jacuzzi people and the balcony overlooked (yes) the parking lot. Also, we were a group of 4 (2 adults and 2 teenage children). The room had a queen bed and sleeper couch. No one ever sleeps well on a sleeper couch, so right away, 2 of us had uncomfortable sleep -- good sleep is a minimum at a hotel, right? At that price, I probably would've felt better if a continental breakfast had been included (which I knew it would not) . . . The new infinity pool and bar pavilion is lovely. Dinner at the restaurant was another attempt at a special dinner. The appetizers were great; the German specialties were only okay and somewhat small portions.
The location is great for visiting Antietam National Battlefield and Harper's Ferry. There are great food options and boutique shopping in Shepherdstown, which is within walking distance of the hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated on a bluff overlooking the Potomac River in Historic Shepherdstown West Virginia on 11 acres. The Bavarian Inn is a AAA Four Diamond Award Winning Dining Room and Hotel Accommodations. Most rooms have breathtaking river views from private balconies, whirlpool baths, and gas fireplaces. Fine German and Continental Cuisine. Wine Spectator "Best of Award of Excellence". Casual Dining and Cocktails in the Rathskellar or on the outdoor garden patio. Walking distance to downtown Shepherdstown and great shopping. Golf Packages available with neighboring and private Cress Creek Country Club. Open 365 days per year. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers and Agoda so you can book your Bavarian Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bavarian Hotel Shepherdstown
- Bavarian Inn Shepherdstown
- Bavarian Restaurant