“Nice, but underwhelming”
Review of Bavarian Inn

Bavarian Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Shepherdstown
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We were looking for something special, and intrigued by the non-chain appeal of this hotel. Everything was fine, but not really different from any other hotel. If anything, it was quite overpriced. It may not be clear from the website, but the hotel is composed of four buildings: 2 overlook the Potomac and 2 overlook a parking lot. Originally we were going to stay in one of the two overlooking the Potomac (which may indeed be very nice). When I told the reservation desk that I was looking for something special, she convinced me to stay in the Schwartzwald building with a room with a fireplace, a Jacuzzi and a balcony ($195/night). It was my fault to accept this room: we certainly didn't need a fireplace in June, we aren't really Jacuzzi people and the balcony overlooked (yes) the parking lot. Also, we were a group of 4 (2 adults and 2 teenage children). The room had a queen bed and sleeper couch. No one ever sleeps well on a sleeper couch, so right away, 2 of us had uncomfortable sleep -- good sleep is a minimum at a hotel, right? At that price, I probably would've felt better if a continental breakfast had been included (which I knew it would not) . . . The new infinity pool and bar pavilion is lovely. Dinner at the restaurant was another attempt at a special dinner. The appetizers were great; the German specialties were only okay and somewhat small portions.

The location is great for visiting Antietam National Battlefield and Harper's Ferry. There are great food options and boutique shopping in Shepherdstown, which is within walking distance of the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank frugalm0m
DavidAsam, Owner at Bavarian Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2014

Dear frugalm0m,

Thank you for your review. I am sorry that our prices did not coincide with your needs. Perhaps 2 rooms would have been much more suitable for 4 people. We attempt to describe our rooms and explain they are mostly designed for two, but can accomodate up to 4, with a pull out sofa. Maybe a future visit with two rooms and selecting the River View would be more to your liking.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

The good things first. The infinity pool is wonderful. Very well done. Perfect view of the river. Nice bar/snack area at pool. Service tad slow. Hotel reservation service poor. I called, the old fashioned way, to make a reservation. The online site said breakfast for 2 was included, but was told that that it was only worth $20. Seems like false advertising to me. We had to pay an additional amount, which was for coffee.

I had to call hotel 3 times to receive email confirmation. The third time, the front desk person couldn't find my reservation.

We asked for a wake up call on Saturday morning. Didn't receive it.

Hotel has a really bad website. There isn't a way to link to your reservation, nor find driving directions, or an email address to contact hotel.

Room Tip: We didn't use fitness center nor spa
1  Thank Newp0rt2013
DavidAsam, Owner at Bavarian Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

Dear Newp0rt2013,
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us. We are happy to hear you enjoyed the new pool. It has been an extremely popular addition to our Inn. We have just a couple days ago completely revamped our website. We hope that you will enjoy the new changes. I am sorry for the confusion with your online reservation, and hope that our new site will fix those issues.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

Started out with some trouble at the front desk. We had just come off the C&O Canal, riding our bikes and very tired and muddy. Were able to find a hose to wash off the bikes, that was nice. There were three of us and we had booked a Garden View room, only to find out it only had one bed. So we upgraded to a River view room for an extra $30 (now I read from some of the reviews in some cases upgrades were free and in others only $10!). Anyway, we didn't care as we were tired and in need of good beds. We immediately ordered the charcuterie tray from room service as we were very hungry and the Rathskellar was not yet open at 4:30. It was very disappointing, especially for a Bavarian themed inn. There was no mustard and not even any napkins or silverware! Based on this, we decided to eat dinner in town (which, by the way, is less than a mile away--an easy walk from the Inn). Later that night we were enjoying a lovely beer in the Rat and were astounded to see and smell all the wonderful food being served up! We were quite upset to miss out, so we ordered the sausage tray to go and it was great. The room with balcony was lovely, beds were ultra comfortable, we watched the storm roll in from the balcony and even saw a marmot feeding on clover below! The bridge noise was not a problem and they even turned down the lights as it got later. All in all I wish we had an extra day or two to spend here.

Room Tip: The web site doesn't really tell you how many beds to a room, so if you need more than one, call...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Lucyspin
DavidAsam, Owner at Bavarian Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We are so glad you enjoyed your stay, and were able to take advantage of the C&O canal. I apologize for the room service charcuterie plate, and even more so that it caused you to miss out on a wonderful dinner. An extra person (more than 2) is a $10 charge per night. We sometimes have ample availability in the hotel and are able to provide upgrades, yet are unable to do so when we are at fuller capacity.... this is truly luck of the draw and can never be predicted. We hope to be able to welcome you back for another visit soon. Hopefully you can have that great dining experience with us as well next time!

Reviewed 20 June 2014

We stayed one night only and had paid to upgrade from a garden view room to a river view room, but upon checking in found that we had been given a complimentary upgrade to a luxury room. It was a large, lovely room with a balcony and very good view of the Potomac River. Unfortunately it was so hot that day that we couldn't make much use of it, but we could still enjoy the view from the window.

The Inn is enough distance from the historic town, I think about 4 miles, that most will want to drive to enjoy the quaint town of Shepherdstown, and since our stay was limited, we didn't have enough time to do everything we wanted to. But we will definitely go back and will not hesitate to book again at this lovely Inn.

Room Tip: Given the choice, I would prefer a room as far away from the bridge as possible, though we were in t...
1  Thank Brenda224
DavidAsam, Owner at Bavarian Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2014

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for your kind review. We are so glad you enjoyed your stay, and we are happy that we were able to provide the upgraded room style. It was very hot last week, but hopefully you were able to cool off a bit in the pool too! We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed 17 June 2014

We had a lovely stay at the Bavarian Inn. The staff is very friendly. The grounds are beautiful. The new infinity pool is lovely. Make sure to stay for Sunday brunch. I don't think I could try every item on the brunch if I went 10 times. The food was excellent, as well as the service. It is also very close to historic downtown Shepherdstown - very quaint with lots of shops and places to eat.

Room Tip: I recommend a river view room. The view is great and the balcony was perfect.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
DavidAsam, Owner at Bavarian Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

Dear Valued Guest,
We greatly appreciate your kind words, and are so glad you enjoyed the room, the pool & our Sunday Brunch. We hope to welcome you back many times in the future!

Reviewed 16 June 2014

First the positives - the food is great!, dining room and Rathskeller staff - great - very attentive. Room was fine - hallway has a strange odor, room is very clean. Internet basically nonexistent in the room, had to go on balcony to get signal. Pool is beautiful, but unfortunately difficult for guests to enjoy as it is opened up to people who want to purchase a day pass. Starting early in the morning (10am), I tried to secure a "decent" pool location and this was on a monday, it was full of apparent college students who I later found were not hotel guests - the showed up early and stayed all day, three times I tried to find a lounge chair to relax in the sun to no avail. When I learned that it was day pass people using the pool, I inquired of such with the manager who told me they encourage the use of the pool and he would walk me down to find a seat. I told him it was now 4pm and I had missed the day, having just learned of the day pass plan. He said maybe in the future they would get more seating there. I am TOTALLY frustrated with having lost the day that I was so looking forward to. I purposely scheduled my vacation to extend to a monday stay so I could enjoy the pool area knowing that the weekends were probably quite busy. He offered nothing more, no apology, nothing. I stayed three nights and expected better, what a disappointment! There will be no repeat business here as I feel like I was treated poorly and no preference was given to a paying hotel guest and they prefer they college girls at the pool instead of the 3 night guests. Very poor customer service by the manager as well. Very disappointed. I stay at hotels over 250 nights a year due to work travel and expect more from this place.

5  Thank jayce004
DavidAsam, Owner at Bavarian Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Dear Jayce004,
Once again I apologize that you were not able to get your desired lounge chair by the pool as other guests were using it. As you probably noticed the next day, and the day prior, the chairs at the pool were only half occupied. We are encouraging people to use the pool, as we feel it is a spectacular amenity to our property and the surrounding area. We have only been open for 3 weeks, and are indeed still working out the logisitics. As a result of our conversation, we have reduced the amount of pool day passes available to non-hotel guests. Thank you for this suggestion. We are glad you enjoyed the rest of your stay, and once again I apologize that a busier day at the pool ruined it all for you.

Reviewed 15 June 2014

We had a 2 night stay here May 12 - 14 in a Luxury Garden room.
We enjoyed everything---the room was very nice, large enough, had a nice sofa so we could both sit together. Beautifully appointed rooms.
The dining room for all 3 meals is excellent, really old world style and service, has excellent continental menu as well as a german menu--all our meals were delicious.
The town has mostly quaint touristy shops with some very good unusual items.
We recommend it and we will return.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for your review. WE are so happy you enjoyed our hotel and the town. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!
The Asam Family

Also consider these accommodations in or near Shepherdstown
Quality Inn Shepherdstown
Home2 Suites by Hilton Charles Town
Hampton Inn Hagerstown
Hampton Inn Hagerstown
#1 of 21 in Hagerstown

Been to Bavarian Inn? Share your experiences!