“Absolutely wretched. Overpriced.”

Good for: Child-friendly, Kids
Shepherdstown, West Virginia
“Absolutely wretched. Overpriced.”
Reviewed 14 May 2014

I am a long time resident of Shepherdstown. Good friends from out of town arrived later than expected. We all agreed that take out was the best option rather than start dinner prep at home late. The place we favor is closed on Tuesday, so despite having had several "sketchy" meals and down right rude service 4 years ago, we decided to order take out. The Drunken noodles with Tofu which 2 of our party ordered was lacking but adequate. My FAVORITE Thai dish is Pad Thai but when I opened my box it was obvious the cook knows NOTHING about this dish. Absolutely tasteless, no spices , not a hint of Tamarind (Key ingredient) ..Noodles grossly over cooked and very greasy. Just horrible.. no abysmal would be a better word. Thank goodness the other dishes had enough to share and go around. OK, then there was the Veg. Thai dumplings. Stale and hard. Also inedible and threw them out. The spring rolls were over cooked and greasy, having been cooked at too low a temperature. Thought about going back and trying to manage the situation, but didn't because of the rude treatment I received there 4 years ago on a birthday outing.. not worth the hassle. COMPLETE WASTE of 75.00 hard earned cash. I will never go back. Useless.

• Visited May 2014

Lewisberry, Pennsylvania
“Dinner with friend”
Reviewed 23 April 2014

I have to admit I had some doubts based on some of the reviews I had read but we found it to be very good. the service was excellent and the sushi was quite good better than some I have had in Baltimore and Washington DC. I was not expecting this from a small restaurant in small WV college town. The Greens were fresh, we had a variety of spicy rolls and several different sushi pieces all were fresh and excellent in quality. We will go again. We will be going again.

Visited April 2014
Harpers Ferry, West Virginia
“pass this one up!”
Reviewed 19 October 2013

My family had lunch there today 10/19/13. It was not good at all. we had the shrimp pad thai and some avocado roll. The noodles were very old, clumped together and seemed to be re-cooked. flavor was not good, three shrimp and they tasted awful, Not a good value for the price we paid.
I would skip this place all together. we have eaten here a few times in the past and it was not much better, we keep going back to see if the food quality ahs gotten better - it hasn't. we will stop going.

• Visited October 2013
Bradenton, Florida
“Good Sushi & Thai curry in this cozy college town”
Reviewed 26 September 2013

Sushi was fresh and artfully prepared. It could have used a bit more wasabi & ginger, but all in all was delicious. The green and red curry was perfectly prepared and met my wife & my expectations. The pad thai (grandchildren's favorite) was just a little to mild, although they all enjoyed it! Our son and daughter-in-law remarked that it was much improved over their last visit. Considering that there is no real competition in this style of cuisine in Jefferson County, Kazu stands out. Will we come back for the next family celebration? I'm not sure...

• Visited September 2013
2 Thank Jack A
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Meh. Go elsewhere.”
Reviewed 8 September 2013

First time in Shepherdstown and I asked the front desk agent at our hotel for a restaurant recommendation. She enthusiastically recommended Kazu, so we headed there and found the restaurant to be remarkably mediocre, at best. I am a fan and frequent customer of good sushi and well-prepared Thai food and unfortunately, this restaurant offers neither.

We ordered a spicy tuna roll for an appetizer, and each ordered a basil dish for our entrees, and none was prepared well. The roll was small, unimaginative, and I’m not sure it was fresh. We had to ask for more wasabi after using the quarter-thimble full that came with the roll. My Basil Chicken and my colleague’s Basil Shrimp entrees were absolutely uninspired – chewy chicken and tough, small shrimp. I asked for mine to be served “extra spicy” and there was nothing “spicy” about the dinner. The sauce tasted canned, and the basil and red pepper slices were wilted and had little flavor.

Service was OK, not great.

With such small, poorly prepared portions at prices higher than they should be, there’s no reason to recommend this restaurant. Go elsewhere.

• Visited September 2013